British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

morpeth Nov 23rd 2016 7:28 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12112762)
When are Americans going to see this change?

Who knows with all the uncertainty ? First Congress blocked many initiatives of Obama for 8 years, I suspect they will also be blocking much of what Trump said he wished to do considering the (a) filibuster rules in the Senate (b) establishment doesn't like Trump any more than the Democrats.

Second, who on earth knows what Trump's policies in practice will be ? Third, who will be implementing those policies ? Fourth will he eventually be impeached due to conflicts of interests so extreme Congress cant avoid addressing ?

I still maintain those who go on and on about how stupid or ignorant Trump voters are ( often in such a bigoted manner one wonders why they complain about other people's bigotry) don't appear to grasp Trump's comments simply were not the main reason ( at least in area I lived) people voted for Trump. In huge parts of the United States people are hurting or not doing well enough to continue voting for the status quo. Some people I know couldn't care less about what he said, just voted for a change, like a roll of the dice.

TGA Nov 23rd 2016 7:30 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cx-UDWdXEAA4wdR.jpg:large

SultanOfSwing Nov 23rd 2016 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12112928)

Someone took a cartoon made by someone else, did a poor job of crossing out the original artist's signature and added their own words that (presumably) weren't there in the original. You then borrowed that to attempt to make some kind of a point here.

Keep it classy there, TGA.

amideislas Nov 23rd 2016 7:42 pm

I suppose one could claim it as "fake", but then, according to TGA, everything is fake, so I suppose that would be an exercise in futility.

Perhaps just using common sense would be sensible, but then, common sense is now regarded as stupid, so I guess we're all screwed.

Red Eric Nov 23rd 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12112943)
... according to TGA, everything is fake...

Apart from photographs of a fake MEP, a fake leader of a fake "political party", a fake knight of the realm and a fake ambassador. Oh - and a fake retiree from public life.

morpeth Nov 23rd 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12112802)
Statistically, trump supporters average about $70k per year (hardly impoverished), and have pretty decent lives, so it's hardly economic. Besides, the country is hardly "impoverished". I remember the BBC investigative report where they interviewed trump supporters all the over the country, and they all said things are " good here", but the rest of the country is "in big trouble". The same answers all over the country.

So, I can't help but think it's more about what they've been led to believe, rather than how it actually is.

You may be completely right in some areas of the country that Trump's words may have led people to certain points of view, and I saw some interviews on television saying the same thing "good here" etc.

I can only comment with the experience of the areas I know well ( Ohio, parts of Indiana and Kentucky), with some observations from what friends have told me in a few other areas. Yes here it is very poor economic conditions that are crushing people through lack of jobs, declining social conditions, low wages, lack of access to medical care for many, spreading heroin epidemic, that led many to vote for Trump. The village I live in I have visited my whole life and even in the 70's it was no where near as bad a shape as now. Over last 16 years people on food stamps has gone from roughly 5% of population to over 25%. Most people I talked to don't necessarily believe with certainty that Trump will deliver change but they certainly didn't believe establishment politicians right or left would. Driving around some cities and towns around here is enough to show anyone the area is slowly falling apart. Impoverished, or on way to being, is a very apt word for this area.

I think if Sanders had campaigned earlier and more often around this area he would have done very well.

Scamp Nov 24th 2016 3:28 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12112932)
Someone took a cartoon made by someone else, did a poor job of crossing out the original artist's signature and added their own words that (presumably) weren't there in the original. You then borrowed that to attempt to make some kind of a point here.

Keep it classy there, TGA.

Stupid breeds stupid.

SultanOfSwing Nov 24th 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12113278)
Stupid breeds stupid.

Word.

TGA Nov 24th 2016 5:53 am

Oh dear

Scamp Nov 24th 2016 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12113339)
Oh dear

Another sparkling contribution from TGA. There must be a village wondering why their idiot is on a computer all day?

TGA Nov 24th 2016 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12113403)
Another sparkling contribution from TGA. There must be a village wondering why their idiot is on a computer all day?

Love trumps hate. Chill out

DaveLovesDee Nov 24th 2016 9:17 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12113478)

You love Trump's hate.......

Wow!

EMR Nov 24th 2016 9:19 am

The " village" obviously has its own language.

I notice that not one of our brexiters has come out in support of Hammonds autumn statement.
In the OBR report is a reference to a fall in immigration to under 200,000 year by 2021 and how this too will negatively impact on the economy.
Whats the betting we will see headlines from the usual sources " As the economy slows Immigrants continue to flood in, What did we vote for " Brexit Betrayed ".

GeniB Nov 24th 2016 9:23 am

Well not really :o When Boris was asked in the house about Trumps proposal to make Farage the new American ambassador to the UK,he went a bit pink and stuttered 'Actually what the world needs now is...he hesitated..and it was two back benchers who warbled... LOVE SWEET LOVE.. to the hilarity of all.

So discomforted was our genial 'all encompassing', man of the people,brexiter Boris ,that when the conservative MP for Ribble Valley said that actually what they needed was a man of substance to bang the drum for Britain in all those none EU countries,talked about and suggested Tony Blair... Boris hesitated again and said 'I'm tempted to say.' Non Tali auxilio ,nec defensoribos istis '

Ahh a man of the people through and through. Don't you just feel the love:confused:

TGA Nov 24th 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12113492)
Well not really :o When Boris was asked in the house about Trumps proposal to make Farage the new American ambassador to the UK,he went a bit pink and stuttered 'Actually what the world needs now is...he hesitated..and it was two back benchers who warbled... LOVE SWEET LOVE.. to the hilarity of all.

So discomforted was our genial 'all encompassing', man of the people,brexiter Boris ,that when the conservative MP for Ribble Valley said that actually what they needed was a man of substance to bang the drum for Britain in all those none EU countries,talked about and suggested Tony Blair... Boris hesitated again and said 'I'm tempted to say.' Non Tali auxilio ,nec defensoribos istis '

Ahh a man of the people through and through. Don't you just feel the love:confused:

Are you drunk