British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Nov 21st 2016 11:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111053)
I repeat, IT WAS NOT A PROMISE !

You are seemingly having a great problem with the English Language.

The main reasons why people voted leave have already been researched and discussed.

I.e. Sovereignty, Independence, Immigration Control.

I have yet to see a single quote from a Leaver who voted purely and simply solely on the strength of that mere suggestion.

Maybe you can provide one ?
Only one, not a lot to ask is it, if you still think you have a point ? :unsure:

Yes, I know you keep repeating that it wasn't a promise. Yet half the country thought it was. Do you think that they are stupid or manipulated into believing something that wasn't true?

Is it a requirement that someone's vote be based solely on one "untruth"? I'm sure we could find a few more "promises" that have bitten the dust if you need more. How many believed false promises do you reckon it takes to make one wonder if people were misled?

Dick Dasterdly Nov 22nd 2016 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12111056)
Yes, I know you keep repeating that it wasn't a promise. Yet half the country thought it was. Do you think that they are stupid or manipulated into believing something that wasn't true?

Is it a requirement that someone's vote be based solely on one "untruth"? I'm sure we could find a few more "promises" that have bitten the dust if you need more. How many believed false promises do you reckon it takes to make one wonder if people were misled?

What proof have you that half the country didnt understand the English language and thought a suggestion was a promise ?

You can't even provide a single quote which states that was the case !

As I previously pointed out the main reasons for the Leave vote have already been discussed and researched and that particular suggestion did not number amongst them.

:cool:

By the way, the number of untruths being spouted by the media morning afternoon and night with the huge advantage of endless resources and finance, probably outnumbered any Leave untruths, if indeed there were any, and which has not yet been proved,
by the order of a hundred to one IMHO.

DaveLovesDee Nov 22nd 2016 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111016)
The wording was clear enough, it was never changed and I'm sure you understand it as well as I do

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111036)
The wording was precisely the same before the referendum as afterwards.

It never changed.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111043)
I'm saying the wording is in simple English, not difficult to comprehend and has not been changed.

It was also never clearly termed a suggestion before the referendum either. Only afterwards.

Clearly a suggestion and absolutely NO MENTION OF ANY PROMISE.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111053)
I repeat, IT WAS NOT A PROMISE ![/quote
I have yet to see a single quote from a Leaver who voted purely and simply solely on the strength of that mere suggestion.

Maybe you can provide one ?
Only one, not a lot to ask is it, if you still think you have a point ? :unsure:

I posted this a short while ago ‘£350m for the NHS’ swayed disabled voters in EU referendum.

Research by the Papworth Trust reveals how propaganda about the NHS swayed disabled voters who didn’t know how many of their protections were form the EU
Maybe you'll read it this time.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 22nd 2016 12:27 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12111068)
It was also never clearly termed a suggestion before the referendum either. Only afterwards.

I posted this a short while ago ‘£350m for the NHS’ swayed disabled voters in EU referendum.

Maybe you'll read it this time.

Jeez, is that the best you can do ?

You must have scraped the bottom of the barrel to find that one.

A more extremely biased lefty loony remoaner POV than that would be very hard to find.

To think you're one of those whinging about Express journalism !

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

TGA Nov 22nd 2016 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12111056)

FAKE!

EMR Nov 22nd 2016 6:49 am

How odd is it that Dick, and his boy robin TGA and our other ultras have their heads in a smelly dark place when it comes to discussing what is or rather is not happening regarding brexit.
Putting to one side that sometimes they actually think it has happened it would be interesting to know what they think about the drift away from what as individuals tbey voted for.
This would require them to read , watch and listen to adult media but I am sure that it is not beyond them.

amideislas Nov 22nd 2016 7:02 am

Here's some who voted leave on the NHS rhetoric

Post-Brexit Sunderland: 'If this money doesn't go to the NHS, I will go mad'

Three themes come up repeatedly among leave voters. The promise to save the NHS, migration and trust in Boris Johnson. I meet a former social worker, Shirley Bain, who says that her family’s personal reliance on the NHS meant she was very influenced by the promises to divert EU funding. “It hit home with me because I’m using the NHS quite a lot at the minute. My son is really, really poorly in hospital and has been in and out since May.

“He’s had a liver transplant and it went wrong, stuff like that – and where would I have been if I’d had to pay upfront for that? I know I’ve paid with my taxes because I’ve worked all my life. I just think that some of the money we are putting into the EU for other things could be put back into our own NHS.”

Shirley invites me to a community centre where she volunteers, which recently had its funding for youth services cut. The £350m a week could also help reopen them, she says.

Fellow volunteer Peta McDowall, a remain voter, suggests to her the figure was a lie. Peta considers herself a product of Europe – her parents arrived during the Spanish civil war and she attended university in Europe.

“I don’t think it was about politics. I think the people who are in Brexit are idiots. I’m sorry, I don’t mean you, Shirley, I mean the head people. When I found out who was our minister for world affairs [Boris Johnson], it’s a joke.” Shirley seems genuinely worried that the £350m number might not be true. She resolves to charter a bus with Peta from the north-east to meet the new foreign secretary. “I would go mad if this money doesn’t go into the NHS, I will go mad. I want to be assured that this money – because that’s why I voted to come out,” says Shirley.

Bipat Nov 22nd 2016 7:07 am

Is it too much to consider that the majority of voters had the intellgence to consider the future of the Uk and voted accordingly. Personal issues would influence many of the Remainers and Leavers.

EMR Nov 22nd 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12111261)
Is it too much to consider that the majority of voters had the intellgence to consider the future of the Uk and voted accordingly. Personal issues would influence many of the Remainers and Leavers.

You regard those who wanted to end immigration, all immigrstion as their reason to vote leave as intelligent, really ?

amideislas Nov 22nd 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12111261)

What future? There's precious little tangible evidence to show there is any sort of "better future" for the UK post-brexit. The next decade or more will be dedicated solely to damage control. The chancellor is already starting to plug the holes in the dam, to prevent anyone from feeling ill-effects. The UK is really beginning to live on life support.

And what exactly, is the "threat to the future" that the EU represents, and UK is running from? Until now, the UK has benefited greatly from its membership to the EU (not an opinion, but as a matter of record), it enjoys existing trade agreements with about 50 other nations, and unlike all other members, enjoys the single greatest autonomy and self-governance of any other member, along with many key opt-outs, including immunity from "ever closer union" (well, OK, that went away when the UK voted leave). But frankly, it won't get any better than that.

There is no upside in this. For anyone. It's all just damage control now.

DaveLovesDee Nov 22nd 2016 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12111071)
Jeez, is that the best you can do ?

You must have scraped the bottom of the barrel to find that one.

A more extremely biased lefty loony remoaner POV than that would be very hard to find.

To think you're one of those whinging about Express journalism !

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was citing research by the Papworth Trust. Which is a charity supporting the disabled and elderly.

Research such as this rarely makes headlines unless larger organisations such as a union puts this into wider circulation, or the media decides it's newsworthy.

Much of the fight against social injustice has been fought by those of the 'extremely-biased lefty loony'-type you seem to hate so much.

But when you're that far to the right, everyone's left of you.

Assanah Nov 22nd 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12111345)

And what exactly, is the "threat to the future" that the EU represents, and UK is running from? .

The threat is too much white immigration. Bipat seems to be under the impression that Brexit is all about stopping discrimination of Non-Europeans and opening the UK to Indian immigration. Welcoming the world so to speak - at least that is my impression.

Bipat Nov 22nd 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12111430)
The threat is too much white immigration. Bipat seems to be under the impression that Brexit is all about stopping discrimination of Non-Europeans and opening the UK to Indian immigration. Welcoming the world so to speak - at least that is my impression.

I have frequently said ----same rules for ALL immigrants regardless of nationality. That includes all European nations.

Red Eric Nov 22nd 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12111457)
I have frequently said ----same rules for ALL immigrants regardless of nationality. That includes all European nations.

Suppose for a moment that in the end the rules turn out still to be different in some way that could be seen as favourable to EU citizens.

Would you change your mind about the wisdom of leaving?

GeniB Nov 22nd 2016 2:45 pm

Well looks like the EU will get some satisfaction out of all this. It has been discovered that Farage 'trousered' half a million euro's to fund his campaign in Thanet. He and his cohorts across the channel will be asked to pay the money back. Something about dishonesty and corruption was mentioned