British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

paulry Jul 7th 2016 2:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11996119)
188,000 legal non EU migrants arrived in the UK in the last 12 months of figures.
The UK has some of the tightest entry conditions in tbe world.
How do you propose to reduce this number to a few tens thousands.?

Easy peasy. Introduce strict annual caps and quotas on the numbers of visas that get issued. No visa = no entry. And a new immigration agency needs to be formed - that is the hard part.

Lion in Winter Jul 7th 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11996358)
Easy peasy. Introduce strict annual caps and quotas on the numbers of visas that get issued. No visa = no entry. And a new immigration agency needs to be formed - that is the hard part.

It may look easy to you, but UK businesses want immigrants even if you don't. So does the entire economy.

SultanOfSwing Jul 7th 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11996364)
It may look easy to you, but UK businesses want immigrants even if you don't. So does the entire economy.

Not exactly unique to the UK either, it's how the world works now. International cooperation, rather than a bunch of isolated city states at war with each other all the time.

Imagine the Premier League without foreign talent, for a start :lol:

paulry Jul 7th 2016 3:25 pm

And a major reason they want it in high and uncontrolled numbers is to provide cheap labour. If immigration is geared towards plugging skills shortages then it benefits the country. Unskilled labour can be accommodated through controlled numbers of work permits - which is a win win for all: The labourer gets a wage that likely is higher than their home country, it increases the country's tax paying base, health is covered by the permit holder's own health insurance and there isn't an additional pension burden on the country afterwards.

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 4:13 pm

Yes, but that was one of the points of the main Brexit campaign, (yes I know about Farage and the racism). If there are visa controls/points system or which ever system is used and equal procedures for non-EU and EU migrants, then there is no problem. As it is now some businesses are unable to recruit suitable non-EU migrants because of number restrictions.
Every other country in the World has restrictions regarding who can work or live there permanently.

I suppose if we consider the EU/Europe as one federal country then it is fair/right to have free movement of people from all the member countries but if we see ourselves as a separate nation with relationships with other countries of the world it could be seen as not fair. It seems the British people are divided on that fundamental premise.

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 4:19 pm

I don't know much about the Australian system, but this seems to indicate that the difference isn't what you think it is.

‘Australian-Style’ Points System Leads To Higher Immigration Than In UK

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill"

GeniB Jul 7th 2016 4:47 pm

YEP It's a fact ( we seem to demand that now) We have just renewed our residency for a further 10yrs and next yr we will apply for dual nationality ,when that will be available to us.. ditto our family. ditto many friends and other ex-pats-

Friends in Spain have already done this.

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996501)
I don't know much about the Australian system, but this seems to indicate that the difference isn't what you think it is.

‘Australian-Style’ Points System Leads To Higher Immigration Than In UK

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill"

It doesn't have to be the same as the Australian system. A system is needed that does not discriminate between potential non-EU and EU immigrants, admission will be dependent on needed skills.

GeniB Jul 7th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11996348)
In simple terms.

Self Employed = NO
Self Sufficient = OK
Student = OK for course duration, having paid all fees and accommodation etc.

I'm at a loss here with you guys. La Manche and Lutonlad As far as I have EVER been aware EU migrants have had to have had a job in the country they move to.. I certainly did,My OH certainly did and ditto my YD. If you arrived without a job (my YD 5yrs ago when she followed us here) You had to show means of support ( her savings and us) You then had to apply for jobs like anyone else. YD found a job within three weeks and has never been without one since.There was no recourse to public funds of any sort. You have to have worked for a MINIMUM of 6 mths before you would be entitled to ONE MONTH of dole money...

Where on earth do people get this idea about sponging EU workers.?

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11996531)
YEP It's a fact ( we seem to demand that now) We have just renewed our residency for a further 10yrs and next yr we will apply for dual nationality ,when that will be available to us.. ditto our family. ditto many friends and other ex-pats-

Friends in Spain have already done this.

Am not sure why this is so startling. Many immigrants coming to UK take British nationality and keep their original nationality if the country of origin allows it.

lutonlad Jul 7th 2016 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11996542)
I'm at a loss here with you guys. La Manche and Lutonlad As far as I have EVER been aware EU migrants have had to have had a job in the country they move to.. I certainly did,My OH certainly did and ditto my YD. If you arrived without a job (my YD 5yrs ago when she followed us here) You had to show means of support ( her savings and us) You then had to apply for jobs like anyone else. YD found a job within three weeks and has never been without one since.There was no recourse to public funds of any sort. You have to have worked for a MINIMUM of 6 mths before you would be entitled to ONE MONTH of dole money...

Proper / skills based jobs vs low paid unskilled work which impacts on the UKs welfare system.

SultanOfSwing Jul 7th 2016 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11996542)

Probably the Daily Express ...

spouse of scouse Jul 7th 2016 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11996392)

Imagine the Premier League without foreign talent, for a start :lol:

I've imagined that many times, and wish it were so! Every time I see that an EPL club has 'bought' a foreign player for 40, 50, 70 million pounds I feel sick. The wealthiest clubs buy talent in, the poorer clubs go down the tubes. I loved the passion of the old game, where the vast majority of players were locals. They played for their home fans and for pride, not just money.

On another tack, I was so pleased to see that Andy Burnham's motion (always makes me think of bowels, where was I?) - his 'right to remain' motion supporting EU migrants living in the UK was passed 245-2 in the Commons today. I know it's not binding, but it was nice to see the cross-party support for people who've been relegated to Theresa May's bargaining chips.

And on yet another tack (might as well make use of the post) :lol: - we took our car for a hand wash and polish today. Spoke to a young lad at the business, told him we wanted the 7.50 deal of wash, wax, tyres painted, rims cleaned and polished etc, and out of nowhere another 4 lads appeared. They were like whirling dervishes! Did such a fantastic job, absolutely couldn't fault a thing. When my husband gave them 10 quid they were so delighted - bloody hell, a couple of quid each.

Young, Polish, extremely hard working, did a job that would have taken my husband and I at least an hour and killed both our backs, were very pleasant, and it was cheap as chips. I can't think of one good reason to not want them here.

SultanOfSwing Jul 7th 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11996602)
I've imagined that many times, and wish it were so! Every time I see that an EPL club has 'bought' a foreign player for 40, 50, 70 million pounds I feel sick. The wealthiest clubs buy talent in, the poorer clubs go down the tubes. I loved the passion of the old game, where the vast majority of players were locals. They played for their home fans and for pride, not just money.

It was a bad example anyway. I think I was thinking more of the potential effect on the UEFA coefficient if the league got less competitive, rather than the actual quality of the league and the passion of the players.

Scratch that one then :lol:

EMR Jul 7th 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11996585)
Proper / skills based jobs vs low paid unskilled work which impacts on the UKs welfare system.

Where are the thousands of brits denied the priveledge of working in the depths of winter picking your veg.
I have never seen any evidence of will by the british unemployed to do the work that low paid migrants do.
But maybe you know better.