British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Nov 19th 2016 1:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12109014)
Our rights not to have to carry ID are still protected. You don't have to carry your driver's license, but if you are stopped while driving the officer has the right to ask you for it. If you don't have it, you have to show it in person at a police station within 7 days. That's quite enough for me thanks. Governments should be there to support the public good and work for us, not monitor us. We already have cameras watching in cities everywhere. So "no thanks" to any more of that sort of thing.

I was never asked to produce mine in Malta, except to open a bank account. But the ID number was asked for on a number of forms, including some job applications.

I found it simplified things greatly there.

But I accept most people don't want them, and it would be political suicide for any government to propose ID cards anyway.

mikelincs Nov 19th 2016 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12108990)
Armbands. Require identifying armbands. So much quicker than getting a card out and it would allow members of the public to join in the fun. Besides, we know it works because it has been used before...

Why not put a star on the armbands???? then everyone would know who to avoid, arrest, murder. That was, of course, tried in Germany a few years ago//

TGA Nov 19th 2016 2:07 pm

here we go brexit = nazism

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...db9460c5c7.gif

Fredbargate Nov 19th 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12108732)
If the UK brought in national ID cards for UK nationals, like most EU countries have for their countries (and have many countries worldwide), then working out who is illegal would be much easier.

The UK already issues Residence Cards to EU and non-EU nationals. All it takes is political will, which we don't have.

I am in favour of ID cards.

At the moment mine negates the requirement for a passport in Europe,

Costs me nothing ;)

Very useful in many situations ( Hotel registration etc. )

Very easy to carry.

Bipat Nov 19th 2016 2:16 pm

I don't see a problem with ID cards in the UK, we carry so much ID anyway with passports, visa, driving licence, bus pass etc.
Just back in UK and so much trouble to renew bus pass (for some reason first got it in work name and UK address is in married name). Had to take marriage certificate to prove the name change--decades ago and identity.! Also new photo.
I think I can prove my identity if asked now.:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Nov 19th 2016 10:05 pm

The Remain forecast was that there'd be a mass exodus of big business from the moment a Brexit victory was announced.

This simply did not happen.

Furthermore over the past few months there's been a constantly increasing number of businesses expressing their confidence in continuing to operate in the UK as well as those committing themselves to further future investment.

Please excuse me if I have far more confidence in the opinions of experienced companies willing to put their money where their mouth is,
than listening to the never ending doom and gloom forecasts of sore, sour grape losers with no firm evidence to back up their opinions.

:cool:

DaveLovesDee Nov 19th 2016 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12109368)
Please excuse me if I have far more confidence in the opinions of experienced companies willing to put their money where their mouth is,
than listening to the never ending doom and gloom forecasts of sore, sour grape losers with no firm evidence to back up their opinions.

Corporate PR likes to good out out news investors want to hear because this keeps the share price up. At the same time, the company financial people are always looking at other options to minimise their risk.

If you don't like the forecasts of the 'sour-grapes losers', don't read the kind of media and forums they appear on.

Stick to the media you know and love, the ones where the headline bears no or little relation to it's content. The same kind you usually post on here.

amideislas Nov 20th 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12109368)
The Remain forecast was that there'd be a mass exodus of big business from the moment a Brexit victory was announced.

Nobody ever said that.

I believe many predicted that without being inside the single market, there would be no point for many big multinational businesses which are located in the UK specifically to access the single market, to remain in the UK.

And as it turns out (and has been widely reported through credible media), those businesses have already started their contingency planning, and will be ready to do so *if and when* the UK leaves the single market.

There's nothing "project fear" about it. It's actually just "project reality".

amideislas Nov 20th 2016 9:36 am

Anyway, this is a funny characterisation - an icon of the times, perhaps?

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/picture...l/1431_big.jpg

Dick Dasterdly Nov 20th 2016 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12109594)
Anyway, this is a funny characterisation - an icon of the times, perhaps?

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/picture...l/1431_big.jpg

Clearly two different buses.

The top one being the Brexit bus.

The bottom being the remnants of the EU project.

Well done Ami, thanks for that. :rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Nov 20th 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12109533)
Nobody ever said that.

I believe many predicted that without being inside the single market, there would be no point for many big multinational businesses which are located in the UK specifically to access the single market, to remain in the UK.

And as it turns out (and has been widely reported through credible media), those businesses have already started their contingency planning, and will be ready to do so *if and when* the UK leaves the single market.

There's nothing "project fear" about it. It's actually just "project reality".

I suggest you check back on all the nonsensical predictions, yourself and other Remoaners made on the Leave EU thread,

Not to mention the endless stream of phoney propaganda that was being churned out of Downing St., much of it already clearly debunked.

No wonder you were all happy to leave that thread behind and sweep it under the carpet.

DaveLovesDee Nov 20th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12109997)
I suggest you check back on all the nonsensical predictions, yourself and other Remoaners made on the Leave EU thread,

Not to mention the endless stream of phoney propaganda that was being churned out of Downing St., much of it already clearly debunked.

No wonder you were all happy to leave that thread behind and sweep it under the carpet.

You could try the forum's search function....

Or even Google the posts within the thread if you understand search engines.

Annetje Nov 20th 2016 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12110008)

:goodpost:

TGA Nov 21st 2016 4:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12110008)

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12110009)
:goodpost:

what on earth are you on about?

amideislas Nov 21st 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12109997)

A good candidate for the fake news thread.