British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Nov 18th 2016 10:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12108278)
If by 'times and the worries she and her government have inflicted on the citizens of the uk' you mean Brexit, it was the Leave vote that did that - the government is only implementing it.

I have no idea what a government of a different colour would have done with that result but to dump all this at the door of this government is a little unfair.

Social housing is a good example, at one time UK local authorites had finance to buld over 100,000 homes year, changes in government policies for decades has reduced that to less than a thousand homes fir those in need.
The UK housing crisis is self inflicted,for all of his faults only Corbyn has a policy to build new homes for those who cannot afford to buy.

DaveLovesDee Nov 18th 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12108286)
Social housing is a good example, at one time UK local authorites had finance to buld over 100,000 homes year, changes in government policies for decades has reduced that to less than a thousand homes fir those in need.
The UK housing crisis is self inflicted,for all of his faults only Corbyn has a policy to build new homes for those who cannot afford to buy.

I also blame the right-to-buy schemes.

I can't remember the last time I read anything about a council financing the building of social housing. These days, at least on the sites I see locally, the developer is required to build a small percentage of the total houses/flats on site as social housing, which are then under the control of one of the Housing Associations.

These social housing properties aren't always fitted out with exactly the same specs as the ones for sale by the developer.

On a non-Brexit note as we're discussing housing, I see the government wants the farce that is HS2 to run the route through a new housing estate in Mexborough, S. Yorkshire.

jimenato Nov 18th 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12108286)

Social housing has largely been superseded by housing benefit. I have no opinion on which is preferable.

I'm merely pointing out that whatever this government has inflicted upon us it wasn't Brexit - leavers did that.

EMR Nov 18th 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12108292)
I also blame the right-to-buy schemes.

I can't remember the last time I read anything about a council financing the building of social housing. These days, at least on the sites I see locally, the developer is required to build a small percentage of the total houses/flats on site as social housing, which are then under the control of one of the Housing Associations.

These social housing properties aren't always fitted out with exactly the same specs as the ones for sale by the developer.

On a non-Brexit note as we're discussing housing, I see the government wants the farce that is HS2 to run the route through a new housing estate in Mexborough, S. Yorkshire.

The right to buy was a disaster for UK housing and ranks alongside Thatchters industrial policies..
We live in nimby land where there residents of local villages complain about the lack of affordable housing but block almost every attempt by developers even with the agreed percentages of " social housing"...
Brexit will not change anything and if public finances worsen the UK housing crisis will go from apalling to disastrous.

Bipat Nov 18th 2016 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12108266)
Yet you seem happy enough that the wealthy and some executives got easier entry to the UK, while most Indians haven't.

Are you looking for equal immigration rules for the wealthy of every nationality, or for immigration rules for all Indians equal to those for all other nationalitie

Which is it?

And they were/are.

The UK legal system.

The ECJ is not the default judicial system in the UK, and as I've shown, there are a number of steps to take (and a considerable amount of time and money) before a case reaches the ECJ.

Immigration.

Any failing in the UK immigration system is down to the UK.

India recently eased vias restrictions for wealthy British, as I have mentionef several times visa rules beween the two countries tend to be reciprocal. They change often yearly.
Post Brexit India will expect easing of restrictions---they will then probably also ease theirs.

The ECJ is the final court.

Immigration-----obviously with free movement for several countries it will modify other immigration regulations.

EMR Nov 18th 2016 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12108324)
India recently eased vias restrictions for wealthy British, as I have mentionef several times visa rules beween the two countries tend to be reciprocal. They change often yearly.
Post Brexit India will expect easing of restrictions---they will then probably also ease theirs.

Immigration-----obviously with free movement for several countries it will modify other immigration regulations.

Given the brexit vote, the views of most brexit voters, the announced policy to reduce immigration, ALL immigration to the UK why do you think that rules will be eased for India.
May has announcex that she wants to deport over 30,000 illegal indian migrants currently in the UK.
There is little no demand in the UK to live and work in India, the demand is one way.
Indians currently make up the majority of non EU migrants to the EU.
Numbers the givernment and UK populace, brexit voters want to reduce.

DaveLovesDee Nov 18th 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12108324)

But do nothing to help the average Brit or average Indian.

So India might ease visa restrictions if the UK does. Then again it might not. Yet your posts are usually wanting equality for all re: immigration.

In a very small minority of cases. Most UK court cases are dealt with in local courts, and every case that doesn't end up in the ECJ is dealt with in the UK. Those have do end up in the ECJ will have already been through at least 3 layers of UK courts.

Which is what I clearly explained earlier.

Still down to the UK.

The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 is the latest version of UK law on EU immigration to the UK.

Bipat Nov 18th 2016 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12108335)
Given the brexit vote, the views of most brexit voters, the announced policy to reduce immigration, ALL immigration to the UK why do you think that rules will be eased for India.
May has announcex that she wants to deport over 30,000 illegal indian migrants currently in the UK.
[/B]There is little no demand in the UK to live and work in India, the demand is one way.
Indians currently make up the majority of non EU migrants to the EU.
Numbers the givernment and UK populace, brexit voters want to reduce.

Why do you post about subjects that you have no knowledge. "Little or no demand in the Uk to live and work in India", you are wrong.
Why do you think visa regs. recently relaxed , why are there complaints about difficulties with business visas, why the wish of retired people for longer visas? There are many British there on employment and student visas.

Illegal immigrants should be deported, including those from Australia and USA (which I have just learned about).

Post Brexit the immigration rules will vary according to need, there will not be one particular group with free movement regardless of their skills or numbers.

Bipat Nov 18th 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12108337)
But do nothing to help the average Brit or average Indian.

So India might ease visa restrictions if the UK does. Then again it might not. Yet your posts are usually wanting equality for all re: immigration.

In a very small minority of cases. Most UK court cases are dealt with in local courts, and every case that doesn't end up in the ECJ is dealt with in the UK. Those have do end up in the ECJ will have already been through at least 3 layers of UK courts.

Which is what I clearly explained earlier.

Still down to the UK.

The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 is the latest version of UK law on EU immigration to the UK.

Indian visa changes are not just for the wealthy. Not relevant here to list all recent changes.

A minority if cases is too many.

As a member of the EU the Uk is obviously not in control of immigration from other member countries

lutonlad Nov 18th 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12108414)
Indian visa changes are not just for the wealthy. Not relevant here to list all recent changes.

A minority if cases is too many.

As a member of the EU the Uk is obviously not in control of immigration from other member countries

It is also worth mentioning that some EU member countries do impose strict criteria on other EU citizens. Eg. Spain's 90 day rule requires a person to prove they have sufficient funds before they are allowed to reside. In addition they must have private health insurance, unless they are a pensioner or are employed in Spain. Quite sensible really.

la mancha Nov 18th 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12108224)
Interesting that you only see Indian suffering and colonial past but you can't see what the EU is - a successful attempt at building trust between old enemies. There were so many wars and injustices between Europeans. There were lot of grievances which have been overcome by the EU. So if Indians want unlimited right to immigration where ever they will have to work for it, build trust and lasting friendship. That is the real reason why Brexit is so sad. It shows that the British never have forgiven, they never trusted. They will not trust Indians either - no chance.

NATO pre-dates the EU. NATO is the reason why we have peace between European nations, not the EU. You have been brainwashed.

You say we have never forgiven. Forgiven what?

You say we have never trusted. We have as much trust in Europe as any other European nation. Do you trust the EU, which is different to Europe, to run your country?

EMR Nov 18th 2016 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12108438)
NATO pre-dates the EU. NATO is the reason why we have peace between European nations, not the EU. You have been brainwashed.

You say we have never trusted. We have as much trust in Europe as any other European nation. Do you trust the EU, which is different to Europe, to run your country?

Thus speaks a typical out of date little Englander who is way out of touch with how the majority of those under a certain age in the UK thinks.
Still spouting nonesense about the EU running the UK.
It never did and never has done and after brexit never will.
Who you will blame for anything you disprove of after brexit will be fun to see.

Fredbargate Nov 18th 2016 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12108438)

NATO + the Common Market was fine

The EU is not

DaveLovesDee Nov 18th 2016 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12108414)

You might want to read Lutonlad's response below. And mine below his.

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12108428)
It is also worth mentioning that some EU member countries do impose strict criteria on other EU citizens. Eg. Spain's 90 day rule requires a person to prove they have sufficient funds before they are allowed to reside. In addition they must have private health insurance, unless they are a pensioner or are employed in Spain. Quite sensible really.

Correct.

Malta requires one of the following before EU national can register for a Maltese Residence Card. I believe almost every other EU country has similar rules.

Employment or
Self-employment or
Self-sufficiency (a certain level of savings plus health insurance) or
Student (on a recognised course, and with health insurance).

That the UK doesn't do similar is not down to the EU, it's solely down to the UK. As is the case with almost every ill that ails the UK - that the EU is blamed for - it's being blamed on the wrong target.

Because people read the fake news websites and alt-right social media sources, and believe what they read. These places seek the oxygen of web traffic hits without the restrictions traditional media has had to accept.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 18th 2016 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12108522)
NATO + the Common Market was fine

The EU is not

Precisely.
Funds spent on NATO for our own security are a must.
Just a shame that some other Eu countries shirk their responsibilities.

The Common market or free trade area on its own could have been a success.

Unfortunately it's been used to drag us and others into the nightmare that is the main Eu superstate project, costing everyone zillions in the process.

Funds which each and every country could have put to much better use.

Unfortunately the vast majority is being poured into an ever increasing black hole for a futile project very few citizens want and which by its own admission is now on its knees and in crisis. :cool: