British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Nov 17th 2016 8:40 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12106952)
And it's not the court of appeal that's delaying it. It's the fact that Britain has no clue what to do now. And there's infighting about it. Nobody has a clue.

Yes, you're absolutely right ami.

The court challenges are a very useful diversion for the government and of course could have an effect on their future actions but they're not causing any delay as yet. And court case or no court case, the rush to get Article 50 triggered by end of March always seemed a bit precipitous.

Ingles Nov 17th 2016 10:40 am

Don't you also find this ironic ?
A stand up political party , noted for it's honesty , integrity , & telling it as it is , being very naughty & ripping off EU Fund's
OMG :- What's the world coming too :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...misspent-funds

la mancha Nov 17th 2016 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12106969)
All very nice, but wishing pain on Europe won't solve Britain's elephant in the room. Britain ought to be worrying about its own arse, not hoping we all go down with it.

I am not wishing pain on Europe. I have never said the EU should fail. You have said this to me many times before. My post re inflation continuing to rise throughout the Euro Area during 2017 into 2018 is in a report from the ECB.

I do not want anyone to go down anywhere, in contrast to your own comments.

Red Eric Nov 17th 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12107466)
My post re inflation continuing to rise throughout the Euro Area during 2017 into 2018 is in a report from the ECB.

Is low or moderate inflation a bad thing? I thought it was supposed to be a good sign of a healthy economy.

Red Eric Nov 17th 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12107353)
Don't you also find this ironic ?
A stand up political party , noted for it's honesty , integrity , & telling it as it is , being very naughty & ripping off EU Fund's
OMG :- What's the world coming too :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...misspent-funds

:lol::lol:

It's OK. They'll protest and take their case to.......... the ECJ :rofl::rofl::rofl:

la mancha Nov 17th 2016 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12107477)
Is low or moderate inflation a bad thing? I thought it was supposed to be a good sign of a healthy economy.

I was replying to posters who somehow think that inflation is limited to the UK.

By the way, how do you know what the government is thinking re A50?

SultanOfSwing Nov 17th 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12107227)
I'm heading back to the UK tonight for the weekend.

I'll let you all know how destitute it is.

I'm going back next year, if there's even a UK left by then ...

Red Eric Nov 17th 2016 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12107482)
I was replying to posters who somehow think that inflation is limited to the UK.

Ah, I see. Whataboutery.

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12107482)
By the way, how do you know what the government is thinking re A50?

I don't think I said I do but I'm cognisant of the fact that there's a fair amount of discord being reported between the various factions at the highest levels. It's good to hear in some ways though - it means options are being (properly?) discussed, which seems infinitely better to me than that a solid line has been decided but no-one will reveal what it is and Article 50 will be triggered without further discussion. After all, what's decided in the negotiations will possibly tie the hands of all future governments for a good long time to come.

Meantime, the court case could prove a very, very welcome distraction and (later) a very convenient excuse should the progress of negotiations or the eventual outcome not come up to the expectations of the noisiest minority ;)

BTW

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12107466)
I am not wishing pain on Europe. I have never said the EU should fail.

No, you haven't and it sets you apart from the majority (not all but an overwhelming majority, nonetheless) of the other Leavers commenting on here. It would be far better if they, like you, accepted that the UK is out on a limb of its own here and that any discussions / negotiations will be conducted on that basis, instead of dancing up and down hoping for the collapse of the entire project. Apart from the fact that it's highly unlikely to happen, if it did it wouldn't benefit anybody at all.

EMR Nov 17th 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12107234)
So, Priti Patel was correct. I will continue to say if asked ---'your knowledge and experience are not welcome in the UK---only EU citizens needed.

Uk news today, ytd 88000 nion EU migrants have been employed in what are regarded as high value skills areas .
This disproves your post and views yet again.

morpeth Nov 17th 2016 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12106891)
You are not getting the point, those involved are needed for their experience of the authentic foreign cuisine involved, not paper qualifications.

We are discussing Post Brexit when hopefully the rules are fair and the same for all foreigners and potential immigrants.

Hopefully whatever rules put into place are first beneficial to the British people and economy as the priority.

morpeth Nov 17th 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12107025)
Many chefs in the UK are trained on the job without any formal training or paper qualifications. They may well start as waiters to earn money.
Those coming from abroad will come for a variety of jobs in restaurants, including as already experienced chefs.

Minister Priti Patel: Quit EU to save our curry houses | London Evening Standard

What they will all have is lifetime knowledge and experience of cooking the food of their country of origin which will not be the case of local employees.

As regards relaxed visa rules for wealthy Indian people this is a reciprocal change following similar change of visa rules for wealthy British going to India.
As I have said for this particular country the visa regulations have always been reciprocal since India introduced visas in 1980s. Visa rules change frequently.

Many countries have special visa and citizenship rules for wealthy immigrants to bring in more capital. Just makes sense.

I am curious, a bit off topic but maybe not, I would have thought India would have seen the example of Panama and Mexico and opened the visa door wide for British to reside there. Panama and Mexico offer excellent benefits to US retirees, which brings jobs to the locals. It seems immigration in many countries not based on logic but feelings.

lutonlad Nov 17th 2016 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12107503)
Ah, I see. Whataboutery.

I don't think I said I do but I'm cognisant of the fact that there's a fair amount of discord being reported between the various factions at the highest levels. It's good to hear in some ways though - it means options are being (properly?) discussed, which seems infinitely better to me than that a solid line has been decided but no-one will reveal what it is and Article 50 will be triggered without further discussion. After all, what's decided in the negotiations will possibly tie the hands of all future governments for a good long time to come.

Meantime, the court case could prove a very, very welcome distraction and (later) a very convenient excuse should the progress of negotiations or the eventual outcome not come up to the expectations of the noisiest minority ;)

BTW No, you haven't and it sets you apart from the majority (not all but an overwhelming majority, nonetheless) of the other Leavers commenting on here. It would be far better if they, like you, accepted that the UK is out on a limb of its own here and that any discussions / negotiations will be conducted on that basis, instead of dancing up and down hoping for the collapse of the entire project. Apart from the fact that it's highly unlikely to happen, if it did it wouldn't benefit anybody at all.

I'm also in the 'I don't want the EU to fail club'.
I acknowledge that there are those on here and elsewhere that wish it harm.
There are also those on here that appear to have an orgasm every time they see any negative economic stats about the UK, post June 23rd.

Red Eric Nov 17th 2016 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12107641)
There are also those on here that appear to have an orgasm every time they see any negative economic stats about the UK, post June 23rd.

I think in the main that's in response to the whooping it up about the fact that some of the news coming out at this stage appears to contradict what was said might happen prior to the referendum.

Not sure about the orgasms - just pointing out that there have already been negative effects attributable to the referendum result and that besides, Brexit hasn't actually happened yet.

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12107641)
I'm also in the 'I don't want the EU to fail club'.

I'm very pleased to hear that. It doesn't do the Leave camp any credit whatsoever because it sounds to me as though those who are wishing otherwise do so a) out of spite and b) out of a fear of the UK being out on its own. If Leavers say the UK can do just fine out of the EU because it can find as many other trading partners as it needs to make up the deficit resulting from Brexit, great - let's get on with it. But wishing the EU to splinter so the UK can end up trading the same amounts with all its ex partners and trashing the whole of the rest of the project in the process and all the cooperation on so many fronts that go with it is daft. There's a great deal worth building on and improving left in this arrangement from the point of view of the other EU nations and if the UK has decided it wants no part of that it's mainly their loss in my opinion.

TGA Nov 17th 2016 5:38 pm

Great news!! (from guido fawkes)

Retail sales surged in October, up 7.4% on last year and 2% on the previous month. How are the Remain media reporting the news? Here’s the Indy:

“Retail sales surged by 1.9 per cent in October, far outstripping City analysts’ expectations and showing continued strength of household consumption despite the Brexit vote.”
The Guardian:

“Official figures chimed with other indicators suggesting consumers have largely shrugged off the Brexit vote and defied gloomy predictions before the EU referendum.”
The BBC:

“The figures suggest consumer confidence remains robust in the face of uncertainty caused by Brexit.”
Bloomberg:

“The figures suggest the British consumer remains in robust health after driving the economy to unexpectedly strong growth in the three months following the decision to leave the European Union.”
Economists’ forecasts for the retail sales figures were close to 100% off. Experts…

DaveLovesDee Nov 17th 2016 5:45 pm

Top ten things British voters want from Brexit