British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Nov 11th 2016 1:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12102270)
How anyone could fly those ‘stringbags’ with a torpedo underneath at walking pace (as it must have seemed to the pilots) with flak and everything else a battleship could muster coming towards them I don’t know. Nerves of steel just doesn’t come near to describing it.

How any of 'em did what they did is amazing whether it was flying, storming the beaches, the Pacific, European, African theaters (etc) or POWs of the Japanese (or even civilians enduring the blitz) & many just teenagers or not much more...... Their bravery puts the average safe space/entitled generation kid on the street now absolutely to shame.

So many gave so much.

jimenato Nov 11th 2016 1:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12102270)
How anyone could fly those ‘stringbags’ with a torpedo underneath at walking pace (as it must have seemed to the pilots) with flak and everything else a battleship could muster coming towards them I don’t know. Nerves of steel just doesn’t come near to describing it.

He said that landing on a carrier was a nightmare but only if you could catch up with it.

If you couldn't catch up with it landing wasn't a problem.

SultanOfSwing Nov 11th 2016 1:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I hope people don't take this as levity. On the contrary, I think for a comedy, to produce a scene like this, with that ending moment is exactly what the phrase 'the best of British' refers to.


mikelincs Nov 11th 2016 4:31 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12102322)
I hope people don't take this as levity. On the contrary, I think for a comedy, to produce a scene like this, with that ending moment is exactly what the phrase 'the best of British' refers to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

I certainly don't. for a comedy programme that was, in reality, a seminal moment as it ended with them going over the top, no jokes during the scene, just gritty reality of what happened.

SultanOfSwing Nov 11th 2016 4:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12102451)
I certainly don't. for a comedy programme that was, in reality, a seminal moment as it ended with them going over the top, no jokes during the scene, just gritty reality of what happened.

That whole episode, really, just beautifully encapsulated the absurdity and grim reality of the First World War (war in general, really) in just half an hour. It was brilliantly funny throughout, right up until that line "Good luck everyone" and then they go over the top and it becomes one of the most memorable and poignant moments in British TV.

Lion in Winter Nov 11th 2016 5:05 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12102457)
That whole episode, really, just beautifully encapsulated the absurdity and grim reality of the First World War (war in general, really) in just half an hour. It was brilliantly funny throughout, right up until that line "Good luck everyone" and then they go over the top and it becomes one of the most memorable and poignant moments in British TV.

It's very good. Understated, as the most powerful things often are.

SultanOfSwing Nov 11th 2016 5:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12102479)
It's very good. Understated, as the most powerful things often are.

That's one of the things we Brits do well.

I'm glad my original intent wasn't misunderstood, I certainly wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 11th 2016 6:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
EU chief left SQUIRMING by question over Commission legitimacy | World | News | Daily Express


"EU chief SQUIRMS over questions of legitimacy of ‘undemocratic’ European Commission

THIS is the astonishing moment an EU chief was left squirming as he was questioned on whether the European Commission is truly democratic – when it is made up of unelected representatives."

"The awkward scenes happened during a citizens dialogue in Helsinki, Finland, when Frans Timmermans, the First-Vice President of the Commission, was challenged over the legitimacy of the institution.

Taking the EU representative to task, a Finnish citizen demanded to know why Jyrki Katainen had been allowed to become the country's commissioner after he resigned as prime minister for “failing” in the leading role.

The appointment of the former PM immediately after he quit made the Commission look bad, the student argued, before stating it showed the EU was an undemocratic institution. "

Much like your great and wonderful Pres after 20 yrs of tax fiddle and being thrown out in disgrace,
Perfect credentials for his current position it seems.

SultanOfSwing Nov 11th 2016 6:39 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Welp, I guess it's back to business as usual, then ...

Vexcore Nov 11th 2016 7:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
What about scotland? they simply do not want to be part of the 'EUROPEAN UNION'

The difference is the UK does not need Scotland, quite the opposite actually. Scotland needs the £ and Westminster, despite what they say.

If Scotland became an independent country and joined the EU, they'd have to adopt the Euro, and the Scottish people don't want the Euro. Pretty big catch-22 there.

Nicola Sturgeon is very bad for Scotland. She has been shown twice now that the Scottish people do not want to be an independent country, the main vote and a secondary opinion poll after Brexit. Yet she stills goes after it like a rabid rottweiler, she doesn't really care about what's good for Scotland, she just wants independence because she hates the English.

Point, there was a large amount of people in Scotland that actually voted to leave the EU, but you wouldn't think that because they have been totally ignored by Sturgeon and co. She has completely swept their opinions and concerns away.

Scotland can complain about the Brexit vote just like anyone else, but they can't op out of it because they are part of the UK. They can try to influence the whole deal, but in the end Brexit will still happen because of the referendum, all these MP's jobs depend on us, the British people.

Lastly Scotland obviously took part in the referendum so they haven't really got a leg to stand on. Had they took a stand against the vote and not wanted to join in, then maybe they would have a better angle. But they willingly took part thinking it was a foregone conclusion for the remain camp, just like everyone else.

This entire issue is a simple case of sour grapes I'm afraid, they lost their referendum which they all thought was in the bag, and now they're throwing their toys outta their prams


Several of my Scottish friends hate Nicola and wish she was kicked out of Scotland lol...

Dick Dasterdly Nov 11th 2016 8:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Beats me how the Remoaners mark 2 can complain about Trump when they readily accept a clown like Junkie at the helm.

Juncker hits out at Donald Trump as he accepts he's BACK OF THE QUEUE | World | News | Daily Express

DaveLovesDee Nov 11th 2016 10:41 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12102618)
What about scotland? they simply do not want to be part of the 'EUROPEAN UNION'

Says who? The majority of Scots who voted, voted to Remain.

Scotland did not want to leave the EU. But we may want to leave the UK


Point, there was a large amount of people in Scotland that actually voted to leave the EU, but you wouldn't think that because they have been totally ignored by Sturgeon and co. She has completely swept their opinions and concerns away.
There were a large amount of Brits who voted Remain, but Leavers keep telling them they lost, and to deal with it.


Lastly Scotland obviously took part in the referendum so they haven't really got a leg to stand on. Had they took a stand against the vote and not wanted to join in, then maybe they would have a better angle. But they willingly took part thinking it was a foregone conclusion for the remain camp, just like everyone else.
Had they not voted, I'm sure Leavers would say they had the opportunity to vote and choose not to. The same as those who chose not to vote were told by the media at least once.


Several of my Scottish friends hate Nicola and wish she was kicked out of Scotland lol...
I'd like Katie Hopkins to piss off, but as trout-pout and Sturgeon are both UK nationals, they have the right to reside here. They also have the right to free speech.


Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12102671)
Beats me how the Remoaners mark 2 can complain about Trump when they readily accept a clown like Junkie at the helm.

Juncker hits out at Donald Trump as he accepts he's BACK OF THE QUEUE | World | News | Daily Express

Here we go again. Quotes from the article.


Mr Juncker, who is President of the European Commission, implied that the new US President would ignore the bloc of 27 countries for two years before making any effort to visit.

Mr Juncker said: "I think we will waste two years before Mr Trump tours the world he does not know."

He added that Donald Trump's election as U.S. president poses risks for the relationship between the European Union and the United States.
Pure f-ing speculation then!


He told an audience of students: "We will need to teach the president-elect what Europe is and how it works", adding that Americans usually had no interest in Europe.

The Brussels bureaucrat added that Mr Trump's statements on security policy and the potential for America to leave NATO would have "pernicious" consequences.

The politician added that Mr Trump was entirely ignorant of Europe and its workings.
Still no substance.


The European leader's comments come after he was forced to reveal his staff were forced to re-write his speech congratulating the next President of the US in a frenzy - because it was dedicated to Hillary Clinton.
One attention-seeking narcissist moaning about another. Plus Trump!

Dick Dasterdly Nov 11th 2016 10:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Junkie your great and wonderful leader is an absolute Rsole, that's apart from being a total pisshead and as bent as a three quid note.

Never for one moment considers putting his few pickled braincells into motion before mouthing off and putting his foot in it, much like that silly tart from Scotland.

Ah well, if that's what you guys want, you're very welcome to it. :cool:

DaveLovesDee Nov 11th 2016 11:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12102746)
Junkie your great and wonderful leader is an absolute Rsole, that's apart from being a total pisshead and as bent as a three quid note.

Never for one moment considers putting his few pickled braincells into motion before mouthing off and putting his foot in it, much like that silly tart from Scotland.

Ah well, if that's what you guys want, you're very welcome to it. :cool:

We've gone through this before.

Juncker is NOT my leader.

I can understand the reason for the hatred of the EU in your posts, because you fear what you don 't understand. And that's free speech. I disagree with you being an arse, but I defend your right to do so.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 11th 2016 11:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12102763)
We've gone through this before.

Juncker is NOT my leader.

I can understand the reason for the hatred of the EU in your posts, because you fear what you don 't understand. And that's free speech. I disagree with you being an arse, but I defend your right to do so.

As President of the Eu Commission he has the highest position of authority and responsibility in the Eu.

You are I believe a citizen of the Eu and as I understand were prepared to accept the status quo by voting remain at the referendum.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:12 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.