British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 12:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12100648)
So.... You have no idea how this miraculous bit of trade diplomacy which, under normal circumstances, could take decades to achieve, will somehow be all worked out in 29 months, in astonishngly clever ways, with extremely limited resources available.

And apparently, you also cannot offer any explanation how, after these unlikely miracles have been realised, can they even remotely make up for the trade that Britain already enjoys, but has chosen to toss aside for fear of a few foreigners who, as a matter of public record, contribute significantly to Britain's economy.

And it's >me< who hasn't a clue?

Right, then.

We are in uncharted territory, or hasn’t it dawned on you yet. No one is saying we can complete a trade deal in a week, but with the world rapidly changing anything is now possible. Forget the old ways of the EU. They are for austerity and years of negotiation and kicking the can down the road. You are still living in the past. Hasn’t events of this year taught you anything?

Next month there is an election in Austria and a referendum in Italy. Either or both could see the downfall of the present leaders. Next year there are major elections in the Netherlands, Germany and France. If Merkel is worried then what must the others feel like? (As in her announcement that all immigrants crossing the Med will not now be admitted to the EU but sent back to Libya.)

A few foreigners, you say. How out of touch you are! It amounts to a city the size of Coventry. Every single year. Who hasn’t a clue?

And who says we are tossing aside any trade? Again, the world is changing and the intransigent EU will have to change with it. Do you want another recession in the Eurozone? I see the Euro came off badly yesterday because the money sector’s confidence in the currency is waning. Maybe it is because of Trump’s lacklustre support for the EU. This year is a wake-up call yet you still persevere in the past talking about trade diplomacy under normal circumstances. If events of this year has taught anyone anything it is that in the future normal circumstances will be different as you or many others want them to be.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12101065)
Well, other than Brexit the election of Trump is indeed big news. Haven't read anything about Brexit by my facebook friends for example, not much in the German press either but Trump is all over the place.
Farage is not know in Germany at all. I am pretty sure that most wouldn't know what UKIP is either and that most are now OK with the UK leaving the EU. There will be no going down on the knees by the Europeans for Britain. But there will be a lot of effort to make things work with the US. That is the difference between a world power such as the US and a little island on the fringe of Europe ;)

Tomorrow morning at eleven o’clock don’t forget what this little island did. It is why you and Europe are where you are now.

Good luck with Trump.

paulry Nov 10th 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101169)
Tomorrow morning at eleven o’clock don’t forget what this little island did. It is why you and Europe are where you are now.

Good luck with Trump.

:goodpost:

EMR Nov 10th 2016 12:54 pm

Good luck with Trump.

Don,t forget the millions of dead, Russian, Poles, French, Dutch, Belgians, Danes, Norwegians, Jugoslavs , those from the commonwealth etc etc plus the US without who neither of the two world wars woukd have been one.
Your insularity borders on an insult to them.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101172)
Don,t forget the millions of dead, Russian, Poles, French, Dutch, Belgians, Danes, Norwegians, Jugoslavs , those from the commonwealth etc etc plus the US without who neither of the two world wars woukd have been one.
Your insularity borders on an insult to them.

And if my little island had fallen in ’39 or ’40 there would now be no Europe as we know it.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101183)
And if my little island had fallen in ’39 or ’40 there would now be no Europe as we know it.

Our little Island would not have fallen because the US was rearming us and would not have let it happen.
History is nothing like as simplistic as some of our posters.
We were not under threat in 1939, just a few months in 1940.

lutonlad Nov 10th 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101188)
Our little Island would not have fallen because the US was rearming us and would not have let it happen.

Here's hoping that this twist in the thread doesn't go any further. I think you're treading on dangerous ground.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101188)

You what?! Idiot. Do you know nothing? If my little island had fallen in ’39 or ’40 Europe was finished as a free continent. If Germany had followed up on Dunkirk we, and Europe, were finished. What American arms?

Quote: ‘We were not under threat in 1939, just a few months in 1940’

What difference does it make? You have just admitted that we were under threat.

The Poles, French, Belgians, Danes. Norwegians, etc. had already fallen under the Nazi jackboot, the Yugoslavs in early ’41. The Commonwealth would not have been able to fight for Europe’s freedom without my little island. The Americans came into the war after December 1941. They, too, would not have fought for Europe if my little island was under the Nazi Jackboot. And the Russians had signed a pact with the Nazis. They, too, would not have fought for Europe. My little island stood alone in Europe in ’39 and ’40 and '41 against the Nazis and their allies. None of the forces you mention could have fought for Europe if they did not have a free little island standing alone against German tyranny.

Sorry to go off-topic but some things need answering!

DaveLovesDee Nov 10th 2016 1:29 pm

Tomorrow morning at eleven o’clock don’t forget what this little island did

With the help of hundreds of thousands of Europeans, and millions of Russian and American troops and weapons. Plus 2 nuclear weapons.

And that's why Russia and America became the dominant powers.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12101211)
With the help of hundreds of thousands of Europeans, and millions of Russian and American troops and weapons. Plus 2 nuclear weapons.

Which, without Britain standing alone out of all European nations in '39 - '41 against German tyranny, there would today be no Europe as you know it.

SultanOfSwing Nov 10th 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12100792)
You've proved time and again it's pointless even trying. You're beyond rational debate, you're devoid of simple comprehension. You ignore sensible points and just post drivel. You don't have opinions you just react to headlines.

That's their MO. They're not smart enough to engage in rational debate and they don't have the courage to stand up and defend their positions without resorting to contrived platitudes and playing buzzword bingo. They're all the same, they write like they are columnists for the Sun.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12101202)
Here's hoping that this twist in the thread doesn't go any further. I think you're treading on dangerous ground.

A great uncle somewhere in the mud of Flanders, a grandfather who was at Dunkirk and a father who at 18 landed in Normandy and fought until the end of the war I take no notice of little Englanders.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101218)
Which, without Britain standing alone out of all European nations in '39 - '41 against German tyranny, there would today be no Europe as you know it.

You really should brush up on your history of WW2, I know that as a brexiter facts are not part of your mindset so its no suprise you know so little.
Here is just one hint. France did not surrender until June 1940.
Again you insult all those who fought alongside us.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101208)
You what?! Idiot. Do you know nothing? If my little island had fallen in ’39 or ’40 Europe was finished as a free continent. If Germany had followed up on Dunkirk we, and Europe, were finished. What American arms?

Quote: ‘We were not under threat in 1939, just a few months in 1940’

What difference does it make? You have just admitted that we were under threat.

The Poles, French, Belgians, Danes. Norwegians, etc. had already fallen under the Nazi jackboot, the Yugoslavs in early ’41. The Commonwealth would not have been able to fight for Europe’s freedom without my little island. The Americans came into the war after December 1941. They, too, would not have fought for Europe if my little island was under the Nazi Jackboot. And the Russians had signed a pact with the Nazis. They, too, would not have fought for Europe. My little island stood alone in Europe in ’39 and ’40 and '41 against the Nazis and their allies. None of the forces you mention could have fought for Europe if they did not have a free little island standing alone against German tyranny.

Sorry to go off-topic but some things need answering!

Just look up Lend lease or the fact that Hitler switched from the west to planning his invasion of Russia in October 1940.
Its not your little island its our island an Island that countless numbers of many nations gave their lives for.
Remember that on Sunday, when you watch all the representatives of all the nations who fought alongside us lay their wreaths at the cenotaph.

Bipat Nov 10th 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12101211)

Also with the help of the Commonwealth forces.