British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Nov 9th 2016 1:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12099978)
So what is my count for the usage of that word so far today then?

WGAF?

DaveLovesDee Nov 9th 2016 1:49 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12099860)
See post 8312. One billion pounds worth of deals signed in two days. Post Brexit there will be far more.

Yet prior to the referendum, we were told that being an EU member prevented us from making these kind of deals. And according to the EU website, we're still a member this morning.

So why couldn't/wouldn't the UK have made deals like this pre-referendum?

Either someone lied about EU rules on deals, or we've just broken those rules... :p

Red Eric Nov 9th 2016 2:15 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12099978)
So what is my count for the usage of that word so far today then?

Dunno but if it's a bit low you should maybe swipe some of your double-act partner's as you're now his spokesperson. You quote everything he says - do those not count? Or maybe you could throw some "remainiacs" in as a substitute.

EMR Nov 9th 2016 2:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12099945)
No it was not.

Really , so leaving the EU , expanding global trade was not one of the brexit promises.
Why did those who lived in areas where their traditional industries had declined who wanted decent jobs a decent future vote for brexit then.
Please explain ?

Bipat Nov 9th 2016 2:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12099928)
When will you get it, brexit was sold to the UK on the basis that it would rebuild the UK economy.
Restore jobs to areas which have lost their traditional industries.
Uk global players investing overseas does not do that , in fact the opposite could happen.
I do not give a fig for Indias immigration rules, this is the UK.
May has deliver on her promises to cut immigration, to deport illegals or she will be in trouble.
I doubt for one minute your press will be happy to see plane loads of returning illegals arriving unless Modi gives the nod that its OK ,we are getting millions of investment from the UK in return.
The proof will be the effect on UK employment , industry etc.


When will you get it EMR.
India is already the world's second largest UK job creator and third largest inward investor to UK.


Mrs Mays problem with deporting non-EU migrants previously has been the ECJ.
Just for interest where are these 40,000 illegals at the moment? Why are they not being deported. It is the UK's decision. Is India being asked to pay the cost? I don't know --you tell me!

(It's not my press).

Bipat Nov 9th 2016 2:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12099988)
Yet prior to the referendum, we were told that being an EU member prevented us from making these kind of deals. And according to the EU website, we're still a member this morning.

So why couldn't/wouldn't the UK have made deals like this pre-referendum?

Either someone lied about EU rules on deals, or we've just broken those rules... :p

Deals have always been made, but will be easier following Brexit.

I don't know what these total of billion pound deals involve just read brief press reports.
India's Commerce Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman has pointed out free trade deals are not possible until Brexit.

UK Eager To Have Free Trade Agreement With India: Commerce Minister – NDTV Profit

EMR Nov 9th 2016 2:54 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12100064)
Deals have always been made, but will be easier following Brexit.

I don't know what these total of billion pound deals involve just read brief press reports.
India's Commerce Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman has pointed out free trade deals are not possible until Brexit.

UK Eager To Have Free Trade Agreement With India: Commerce Minister – NDTV Profit

Free trade means no tarrifs, no barriers to UK exports to India.
That is contrary to any deals that have been proposed to date.
India opening its market to anything and everything from the UK and vice versa.
That would be good news, if it ever happens.

amideislas Nov 9th 2016 3:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12099893)
:cool: So it looks like now we're going to be at the front of the queue for any US trade deal :thumbsup:

....Poor Ami :(


Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12099900)
Where did youdream that one up.
Trump does not want any trade deal that does not prioritise and benefit the US above everyone else.
We may be at the front if the queue, Liam Fox on his knees grovelling for any scraps that Trump throws his way

Fact is, there is no trade deal that the UK can make with anyone that wouldn't favour the other party. The UK has a huge trade imbalance insofar as it is far more dependent on imports than exports. The Uk's exports are a fraction of its imports. In other words, whatever trade deal is struck (and they require years, usually 5 or more to craft), it will naturally benefit the other party's export sectors more than the UK's. Besides, the UK will be a rather small market and quite a bit less leverageable in negotiation than the big players such as the US, the EU, China, ASEAN, etc. Small fish. Big sea.

So, go ahead, Britain, make your trade deals. And better hurry up, because you'll need about 50 of them, extremely cleverly crafted, to come close to breaking even with the trade it does now, through its EU membership.

But none of that matters, does it? Because now Britain can be "free" to do what it pleases now. You know, like having full access to the European single market, without having any of the burdens or having to conform to any rules? Or like have totally free trade with India, without any rules or other obligations? Or, now with Trump in charge in America, lavishing all kinds of great stuff on Britain.. you know, like sending a few trillion over just because he's a nice guy and likes Nige? You know, stuff like that.

la mancha Nov 9th 2016 4:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12100018)
Really , so leaving the EU , expanding global trade was not one of the brexit promises.
Why did those who lived in areas where their traditional industries had declined who wanted decent jobs a decent future vote for brexit then.
Please explain ?

Read my post again and stop spinning.

I didn’t know the UK economy needed rebuilding. I didn’t know a Brexit promise was to restore jobs to areas which have lost their traditional industries. I thought those were a Con/LibDem and later a Conservative promise. Where is the northern powerhouse? After six years Osborne is still talking about it. This failure is testament to the utter folly and lies of their policies and the giveaway to foreign firms. Brexit did not claim to be a fix for this. Cameron and Osborne and the rest of yesteryear’s losers wanted the same old same. If you are now claiming that after six years of Tory government the economy needs rebuilding and we still needed to restore jobs, it is you and those like you who are to blame for voting them in again and also for voting to stay in the same old system.

Quote: ‘Why did those who lived in areas where their traditional industries had declined who wanted decent jobs a decent future vote for brexit then.
Please explain ?’

So they could be first in line. For everything.

la mancha Nov 9th 2016 4:31 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12100103)
Fact is, there is no trade deal that the UK can make with anyone that wouldn't favour the other party. The UK has a huge trade imbalance insofar as it is far more dependent on imports than exports. The Uk's exports are a fraction of its imports. In other words, whatever trade deal is struck (and they require years, usually 5 or more to craft), it will naturally benefit the other party's export sectors more than the UK's. Besides, the UK will be a rather small market and quite a bit less leverageable in negotiation than the big players such as the US, the EU, China, ASEAN, etc. Small fish. Big sea.

So, go ahead, Britain, make your trade deals. And better hurry up, because you'll need about 50 of them, extremely cleverly crafted, to come close to breaking even with the trade it does now, through its EU membership.

But none of that matters, does it? Because now Britain can be "free" to do what it pleases now. You know, like having full access to the European single market, without having any of the burdens or having to conform to any rules? Or like have totally free trade with India, without any rules or other obligations? Or, now with Trump in charge in America, lavishing all kinds of great stuff on Britain.. you know, like sending a few trillion over just because he's a nice guy and likes Nige? You know, stuff like that.

The world is changing. Yesteryear's losers are yesterday’s news. Your opinions belong to that era.

amideislas Nov 9th 2016 4:41 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Huh? The whole populist movement is little more than a demand to return to the 50's. Or earlier. It's an affront to modernity. A fear of the modern world. A desire to run away from it rather than accept the fact that the world has changed.

It might be helpful for you to study up on what it's all about.

SultanOfSwing Nov 9th 2016 4:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12100225)
The world is changing. Yesteryear's losers are yesterday’s news. Your opinions belong to that era.

http://i.imgur.com/9sxHPBx.jpg

EMR Nov 9th 2016 4:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12100218)
Read my post again and stop spinning.

I didn’t know the UK economy needed rebuilding. I didn’t know a Brexit promise was to restore jobs to areas which have lost their traditional industries. I thought those were a Con/LibDem and later a Conservative promise. Where is the northern powerhouse? After six years Osborne is still talking about it. This failure is testament to the utter folly and lies of their policies and the giveaway to foreign firms. Brexit did not claim to be a fix for this. Cameron and Osborne and the rest of yesteryear’s losers wanted the same old same. If you are now claiming that after six years of Tory government the economy needs rebuilding and we still needed to restore jobs, it is you and those like you who are to blame for voting them in again and also for voting to stay in the same old system.

Quote: ‘Why did those who lived in areas where their traditional industries had declined who wanted decent jobs a decent future vote for brexit then.
Please explain ?’

So they could be first in line. For everything.

Where were you during the brexit campaign, rebalancing the economy, restoring manufacturimg , increasing global trade etc etc.
Having voted against Maggie at every election you can hardly blame me for what her government did to UK plc.
Not the EU but Uk governments., who sat back for 40 years and still show no signs of doing anything different.
But fir EU membership we would not have an UK auto industry of any size.
Why is every brexiter seems to deny what the pro brexit campaign was about and why to a man,woman they have little or no idea what brexit means.

la mancha Nov 9th 2016 4:54 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12100239)
Huh? The whole populist movement is little more than a demand to return to the 50's. Or earlier. It's an affront to modernity. A fear of the modern world. A desire to run away from it rather than accept the fact that the world has changed.

It might be helpful for you to study up on what it's all about.

You haven’t got a clue as to how long a trade deal will take. You haven’t got a clue as to what form a trade with the EU will take. You haven’t got a clue as to how the world and the European Union and its member states will look this time next year. You haven’t got a clue as to why people voted for Brexit. In fact, you just haven’t got a clue.

The whole populist movement? Is this populist movement made up of solitary groups? Is it a cross-border, cross-continental movement? Are they linked? Is it some sort of ‘take over’ movement? What is it exactly?

It is you who are yesterday's people.

la mancha Nov 9th 2016 4:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12100252)

WGAF?


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:02 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.