British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 11:24 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12098538)
So you've stopped crying in your cornflakes for now then? ;)

Never was - just watching the fun - you lot floundering.

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 11:28 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098555)
Absolutely no idea.

So you're sure it'll be 'watered down' but you have absolutely no idea how?

Not exactly rapier like logic hey? :ohmy:

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 11:35 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12098558)
So you're sure it'll be 'watered down' but you have absolutely no idea how?

Not exactly rapier like logic hey? :ohmy:

Ask paulry.

paulry Nov 8th 2016 11:40 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12098542)
Compromise.-----
It is interesting to see that the British Press (that I have looked at on-line) all have a different 'slant' on this.

All just pick out a very small part of the long press conference on trade and security.

Theresa May vows to relax visa system if India takes back 'thousands' of overstayers


(Have chosen a 'British' link to keep EMR happy!:lol:)

(Not that the troll bothers much with providing any links of his own).

A good summary of their talks. Great to see Britain building global partnerships. The world is much much more than just the EU :thumbup:

amideislas Nov 8th 2016 12:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I won't pretend to know what may or may not come of any "trade agreement" between the UK and India, but what I will say is that apparently, India was expecting rather free movement of Indian citizens, not just the very wealthy or highly skilled. But those contentions are normal in any free trade agreement negotiation. It's why they take many years to conclude. And besides, if Britain doesn't like India's terms, then it's not as if Britain's modest market will make or break the likes of India. Trade with major economies deserve a lot more attention from India, and will likely get it. India has little motivation to gush all over Britain. It can wait.

lutonlad Nov 8th 2016 12:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12098542)
Compromise.-----
It is interesting to see that the British Press (that I have looked at on-line) all have a different 'slant' on this.

All just pick out a very small part of the long press conference on trade and security.

Theresa May vows to relax visa system if India takes back 'thousands' of overstayers


(Have chosen a 'British' link to keep EMR happy!:lol:)

So far so good. I hope that TM can commit to more once the EU debate is concluded.

I have no problem linking trade and freedom of movement between two sovereign nations. They have the power to set the criteria and agree the parameters. A pragmatic arrangement with no hidden agenda.

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 1:09 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Sky News International are reporting the Poisonous Dwarf has instructed Scotland's top law officer to apply to the Supreme Court to intervene against the UK Government as it seeks to overturn the High Court ruling on the triggering of A50.

The daft cow is truly & absolutely barking bloody mad!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Bipat Nov 8th 2016 1:12 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12098585)
I won't pretend to know what may or may not come of any "trade agreement" between the UK and India, but what I will say is that apparently, India was expecting rather free movement of Indian citizens, not just the very wealthy or highly skilled. But those contentions are normal in any free trade agreement negotiation. It's why they take many years to conclude. And besides, if Britain doesn't like India's terms, then it's not as if Britain's modest market will make or break the likes of India. Trade with major economies deserve a lot more attention from India, and will likely get it. India has little motivation to gush all over Britain. It can wait.



India would not expect free movement, their own entry regulations are far stricter.
As I have said visa regulations and cost have always been more or less reciprocal between the two countries.
India has recently given visa concessions to wealthy business people from the UK, so UK has done the same!

India are complaining about the income level needed for certain work visas to the UK. (Other countries also find the recent rise in level harsh).

India is one of the biggest investors and job creators in the UK. They do 'gush' for a variety of reasons, one being the UK has one of the largest population of the Indian diaspora.

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 1:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12098606)
Sky News International are reporting the Poisonous Dwarf has instructed Scotland's top law officer to apply to the Supreme Court to intervene against the UK Government as it seeks to overturn the High Court ruling on the triggering of A50.

The daft cow is truly & absolutely barking bloody mad!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Yup - here it is!!

Scotland will apply to Supreme Court to overturn Brexit court ruling

Fun, huh? Keeps the Breckers suitable apopleptic.:)

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 1:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hey, didn't you remainers tell me this (1st story) couldn't possibly happen & that adults masquerading as children wouldn't possibly get to share shower rooms etc with real children & that they'd just go underground so there was no need to worry?

Seems I might not have been quite so wrong after all hey?

How the Somme's boy soldiers shame today's 'child' migrants writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN | Daily Mail Online

Red Eric Nov 8th 2016 1:54 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
What has that got to do with remainers and Brexit?

I think the discussion you're referring to is on the immigration thread.

lutonlad Nov 8th 2016 2:00 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098618)
Yup - here it is!!

Scotland will apply to Supreme Court to overturn Brexit court ruling

Fun, huh? Keeps the Breckers suitable apopleptic.:)

Saw a discussion on TV yesterday, asking how Brexit vitriol and divisions can be healed. I assume you didn't watch it.

Red Eric Nov 8th 2016 2:01 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12098504)
That's a ridiculous statement. You might HOPE that it'll be watered down but you don't KNOW it any more that you KNOW the winning numbers to next week's lottery or if you'll still be alive this time tomorrow.

The fact is it'll be what it'll be & my guess is many/most Brexiteers would hope for an independent UK that maintains a reasonably friendly & profitable relationship with the EU & them with us.

And if that included paying a fee to the EU in order to salvage £20bn p/a in GDP derived from financial transactions and agreeing to abide by EU regulations in that sphere of business, that would be consistent with Brexit?

lutonlad Nov 8th 2016 2:11 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12098635)
And if that included paying a fee to the EU in order to salvage £20bn p/a in GDP derived from financial transactions and agreeing to abide by EU regulations in that sphere of business, that would be consistent with Brexit?

If that's considered to be a true compromise then I don't have a problem.
In fact if there can be some compromise on all of the major issues, I'm ok.
To me that means both sides prepared to bend on key aspects of the single market - not something DC was able to acheive. If that sounds too moderate, I realise it's not in vogue.

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 2:20 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12098641)
If that's considered to be a true compromise then I don't have a problem.
In fact if there can be some compromise on all of the major issues, I'm ok.
To me that means both sides prepared to bend on key aspects of the single market - not something DC was able to acheive. If that sounds too moderate, I realise it's not in vogue.

Compromise is the order of the day.

Trouble is that too many will see any compromise as half Brexit or watered-down Brexit which they see as a bad thing.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.