British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Nov 8th 2016 8:46 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12098495)
No, I know what it all meant.
What can be achieved in negotiations is never known until they are complete.
As I said it is rare to get everything you want, negotiation is also compromise to some extent, but all have a 'bottom line'.

As individuals we cannot now influence the outcome, however much time we waste posting on BE!!

So tell me then. Does it mean being out of the customs union, for example? Does it mean having zero access to the single market? Does it mean no payments for anything? Does it mean no more being subject to any decisions by the ECJ over any matter, ever?

Those are pretty basic tenets of membership. Do we keep any of them - yes or no?

EMR Nov 8th 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12098497)
Oh believe me old boy, we are leaving.

Calm your tits and go play some golf.

I agree we are leaving, read the posts from your panicking fellow brexiters, it is they who are getting worried that the UK will not be returning to the middle ages.
Brexit means leaving the EU, nothing more, capiche!!

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098493)
You keep saying this. If we leave the EU Brexit will have been achieved. Even if we were to have an arrangement where we retain some or all of the four freedoms - if we are out we are out. You must try to understand that. Unless you come to terms with it you are almost certainly going to end up very disappointed.

We all know that Brexit will be watered down - but it will nevertheless be Brexit - we will no longer be members of the EU.

That's a ridiculous statement. You might HOPE that it'll be watered down but you don't KNOW it any more that you KNOW the winning numbers to next week's lottery or if you'll still be alive this time tomorrow.

The fact is it'll be what it'll be & my guess is many/most Brexiteers would hope for an independent UK that maintains a reasonably friendly & profitable relationship with the EU & them with us.

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12098497)
Oh believe me old boy, we are leaving.

So we're all agreed then. That's nice.:)

DaveLovesDee Nov 8th 2016 8:55 am

If, at the end of the process, we are no longer a member of the EU, then we will have Brexited. Thus we will have followed the direction the majority of referendum voters expressed their opinion on.

Which was to Leave the EU.

Whether or not we have agreements on passport in, free movement, single market or anything thing else at the end of that process was not part of the actual referendum question.

The question was whether to Leave or Remain. It didn't ask what kind of Leave was wanted.

And had Remain won, you'd still be trying to end free movement, yes?

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12098506)
If, at the end of the process, we are no longer a member of the EU, then we will have Brexited. Thus we will have followed the direction the majority of referendum voters expressed their opinion on.

Which was to Leave the EU.

Whether or not we have agreements on passport in, free movement, single market or anything thing else at the end of that process was not part of the actual referendum question.

The question was whether to Leave or Remain. It didn't ask what kind of Leave was wanted.

And had Remain won, you'd still be trying to end free movement, yes?

All true and Brexiteers are refusing to understand this. They also all have different ideas of what they want and expectations of what will or might happen.

I can see many of them ending up as pissed off as the rest of us.

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098513)
All true and Brexiteers are refusing to understand this. They also all have different ideas of what they want and expectations of what will or might happen.

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious....... They're each individual people with their own individual opinions...... not sheeple which is why they didn't believe Project Fear & voted to leave.

I'm sure some will end up pissed off about some things but whoever told you life was ever a bowl of cherries?

DaveLovesDee Nov 8th 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098513)

"You're unhappy. I'm unhappy too. Have you heard of Henry Clay? He was the Great Compromiser. A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied, and I think that's what we have here."
Attributed to Season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

paulry Nov 8th 2016 9:56 am

So to summarise: for the past few months all the remainiacs could do was cry in their cornflakes and now that there's been that court ruling they're clinging onto a forlorn hope that somehow Britain will get a half brexit.

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12098514)
Talk about stating the bleeding obvious....... They're each individual people with their own individual opinions...... not sheeple which is why they didn't believe Project Fear & voted to leave.

I'm sure some will end up pissed off about some things but whoever told you life was ever a bowl of cherries?

I must say it's fun watching all the leavers running around like headless chickens while decisions are made on their behalf totally outside of their control.

Still - that's what they voted for.

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12098534)
So to summarise: for the past few months all the remainiacs could do was cry in their cornflakes and now that there's been that court ruling they're clinging onto a forlorn hope that somehow Britain will get a half brexit.

Oh - Brexit will be watered down - believe me.

mfesharne Nov 8th 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098536)

So what do you think Brexit will end up as?

paulry Nov 8th 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12098536)

So you've stopped crying in your cornflakes for now then? ;)

Bipat Nov 8th 2016 10:11 am

Compromise.-----
It is interesting to see that the British Press (that I have looked at on-line) all have a different 'slant' on this.

All just pick out a very small part of the long press conference on trade and security.

Theresa May vows to relax visa system if India takes back 'thousands' of overstayers

(Have chosen a 'British' link to keep EMR happy!:lol:)

jimenato Nov 8th 2016 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12098537)
So what do you think Brexit will end up as?

Absolutely no idea.