British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Nov 7th 2016 2:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

The joint statement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...e-uk-and-india

Red Eric Nov 7th 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097826)
Unfkcuinbelievable. The remoaniacs that are producing drivel such as this would do well to heed Nigel Lawson's recent speech when he warned the vermin in ermine that to meddle with or try to slow or stop the democratic decision to leave would be "playing with fire"

It's a complaint brought to the CPS by members of the public - the CPS is obliged to consider it and decide whether an offence has been committed. They haven't made that decision yet.

What precisely is it you find unbelievable - are you not in favour of members of the public exercising their legal rights to complain about breaches of the law?

mfesharne Nov 7th 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12097836)
It's a complaint brought to the CPS by members of the public - the CPS is obliged to consider it and decide whether an offence has been committed. They haven't made that decision yet.

What precisely is it you find unbelievable - are you not in favour of members of the public exercising their legal rights to complain about breaches of the law?

What I find unbelievable is that (despite the denial) it's a back door process to disrupt the democratic decision of the majority.

Even a blind man on a galloping horse could see that neither side produced much by way of solid evidence & it could be very easily argued that it was impossible for either side to produce any solid evidence either way because the whole thing was a prediction of what could/would/should/might happen in the future........ to say nothing of the fact that the propaganda from the remain side was far more radical than from the exit side.

Project fear promised us everything from a horror budget to WWIII.

EMR Nov 7th 2016 2:45 pm

Lets start by agreeing that at some point in the distant future the UK will leave the EU.
I have not heard or seen anyone suggest otherwise.
Not being a member of the EU will mean that the majority vote in the referendum has been honoured.
It will also mean that Mays , Brexit means Brexit promise will also have been honoured.
Any agreements reached with the EU regarding trade , market access, , immigration etc are irrelevant .
Why , because the UK will no longer be a member of the EU as determined on 24th June 2016.
Is there a brexiter who still claims that no longer being a member of the EU will be a breach of the referendum vote what ever the terms of our departure..
The conditions of the voting form will have been met.

jimenato Nov 7th 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097826)
Unfkcuinbelievable. The remoaniacs that are producing drivel such as this would do well to heed Nigel Lawson's recent speech when he warned the vermin in ermine that to meddle with or try to slow or stop the democratic decision to leave would be "playing with fire"

You seem really worried that someone is going to turn the referendum result over - almost paranoid.:confused:

Oh! And.. you didn't read the article did you.;)

Lion in Winter Nov 7th 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097801)
I think they'll be shitloads to debate but if not then the debates won't take long but as I see it, anything they discuss will be seen by the other side before anything is agreed & that's a recipe for disaster in any negotiations.

I believe they can leave without triggering A50 simply by rescinding what I think (from memory) is called the European Communities Act or similar & it'd mean immediate & total withdrawal.

I think we are required to trigger Article 50 by virtue of the Treaty of Lisbon.

What the court is now saying is that Parliament must have a say in that due to the sovereignty of Parliament under our constitution. Parliament may also have to rescind the European Communities Act, or it will be considered rescinded by Parliament approving Article 50.

I'm pretty sure that all the backroom deals will continue anyway, as they always have.

mfesharne Nov 7th 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12097869)
You seem really worried that someone is going to turn the referendum result over - almost paranoid.:confused:

Oh! And.. you didn't read the article did you.;)

I certainly don't believe anyone, especially any politician or media should ever be entirely trusted........ do you?

As for the Brexit, whilst I believe there'd be hell to pay if the vote was overturned, I'll only consider it a done deal when it's complete & until then I won't trust any bugger about it.

Oh & yes I did but that doesn't mean I believe it or that it doesn't ring alarm bells.

Lion in Winter Nov 7th 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12097836)

Paulry was complaining about the Leave campaign misleading voters just a little bit upthread, earlier this morning.

I hope we never get to the situation where our constitution - both parliamentary sovereignty and the rule of law - is considered worth upholding only when the most vocal people agree with whatever the current decisions are.

EMR Nov 7th 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097883)
I certainly don't believe anyone, especially any politician or media should ever be entirely trusted........ do you?

As for the Brexit, whilst I believe there'd be hell to pay if the vote was overturned, I'll only consider it a done deal when it's complete & until then I won't trust any bugger about it.

Oh & yes I did but that doesn't mean I believe it or that it doesn't ring alarm bells.

What do you mean by complete, just the UK no longer being a member of the EU or do you want to add conditions to that.
Conditions that were not on the voting form you have posted more than once.

lutonlad Nov 7th 2016 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12097862)
Lets start by agreeing that at some point in the distant future the UK will leave the EU.
I have not heard or seen anyone suggest otherwise.
Not being a member of the EU will mean that the majority vote in the referendum has been honoured.
It will also mean that Mays , Brexit means Brexit promise will also have been honoured.
Any agreements reached with the EU regarding trade , market access, , immigration etc are irrelevant .
Why , because the UK will no longer be a member of the EU as determined on 24th June 2016.
Is there a brexiter who still claims that no longer being a member of the EU will be a breach of the referendum vote what ever the terms of our departure..
The conditions of the voting form will have been met.

Good try. If we end up remaining a member of the single market with unrestricted EU immigration, we will still have technically left the EU in your book. You're like a bent Brief.

jimenato Nov 7th 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097907)
Good try. If we end up remaining a member of the single market with unrestricted EU immigration, we will still have technically left the EU in your book. You're like a bent Brief.

Of course we will - and what's wrong with that?

Ask mfesharne - there was only one question on the ballot form - in or out - no conditions.

Trouble is leavers haven't grasped that yet and think they own Brexit. They don't. Their views bear no more weight than anyone else's - remainer or non-voter or anyone. If we have left - we have left - period. Anything else is up for negotiation. And don't forget - you don't actually want anyone to have a say in this - not the electorate - nor parliament - and so not you either.

EMR Nov 7th 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097907)

You voted to leave the EU, that was all that was on the referendum form.
There were no conditions just lies and misinformation yes from both sides in an effort to get your vote.
If we are no longer in the EU what grounds for complaint do you have.
You got what you voted for.
Its called democracy.
Unless brexiters have a different idea, 17 million different versions of what brexit should be..

mfesharne Nov 7th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097885)
Paulry was complaining about the Leave campaign misleading voters just a little bit upthread, earlier this morning.

I hope we never get to the situation where our constitution - both parliamentary sovereignty and the rule of law - is considered worth upholding only when the most vocal people agree with whatever the current decisions are.

It's nothing to do with the most vocal who (here at least) are the remainers....... It's about the majority & the majority as we all know voted to leave (without condition).

And it's that majority decision that must be upheld at all costs.

Lion in Winter Nov 7th 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097925)
It's nothing to do with the most vocal who (here at least) are the remainers....... It's about the majority & the majority as we all know voted to leave (without condition).

And again, I don't see who is actually going to overturn that decision.

But to say "without condition" is misleading, since that wasn't addressed at all in the referendum. There were always going to be "conditions" in the sense that the terms of the leave agreement are conditions. The different possibilities were discussed endlessly both on BE and elsewhere. Some people may not like some of the terms of the final agreement.

On the other hand, we will no longer be a member state - simple. In all likelihood, that will remain the same outcome.

EMR Nov 7th 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097925)

Where on the form does it say without conditions.
You have assumed that but it just your opinion not a fact.
All that was on the form was leave or stay.
We will leave, that will be what you and 17million others voted for.

You can can discuss approval or otherwise of the terms at a later date but that has nothing to do with the referendum decision..
Brexit means Brexit, The UK will no longer be a member of the EU.