British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Nov 6th 2016 6:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12097100)
The main issues that people wanted dealt with were high rents, low paid work, school places, an NHS that works for them. I do not remember youth homelessness and drug addiction (?) mentioned as these are social issues and nothing at all to do with the EU and Brexit. Same with education. Seventeen million plus people want a new start. Within the EU that new start is not possible. Do you understand?



Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097138)
Why is that not possible? What part of our EU agreement prevents our government, or ever prevented our government, from addressing any of those things?

They are all social, political and economic issues, in my opinion.




Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12097237)
Your issues are not what the people voted for. Why do you not understand this? I am really getting fed up with this thread.

I am talking about the exact same issues as you, and was responding to your post, above.

Why is it that these issues could not be addressed by our government while we are/were in the EU?

paulry Nov 6th 2016 6:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097214)
Mate, you'll find the forum much more enjoyable if you just put the silly old fart on ignore...... his posts are 110% trollings anyway so he never has anything to contribute.

And it makes it easier on the rest of us if you don't quote him because then we don't see those comments either.

:goodpost:

EMR Nov 6th 2016 6:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12097293)
:goodpost:

Nothing new from one of our cotton wool brits thousands of miles away in Aus.
Who has little to contribute because they know b ***** all about the reality of life in thebUK...
Whose only source of info is youcrap..

Red Eric Nov 6th 2016 7:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097101)
It'll be interesting to see what happens when the SC decision is made & whether the losers can/will appeal to the European Court or not.

I mentioned that option a while ago & was shouted down on it but Sky News had a legal fundi on last night who said it might be an option.

Your memory appears to be failing you.

It was I who (using what I thought at that moment was a good dose of heavy irony)first mentioned the possibility.

When you said you wouldn't be surprised if it could happen and after a very short further interchange between us, I thanked you for having made me think again and agreed it was a possibility. It has subsequently been confirmed that it is indeed.

I doubt it would come to that, though (and I sincerely hope not). But you weren't "shouted down". Not by me, anyway.

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 7:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12097306)
Your memory appears to be failing you.

It was I who (using what I thought at that moment was a good dose of heavy irony)first mentioned the possibility.

When you said you wouldn't be surprised if it could happen and after a very short further interchange between us, I thanked you for having made me think again and agreed it was a possibility. It has subsequently been confirmed that it is indeed.

I doubt it would come to that, though (and I sincerely hope not). But you weren't "shouted down". Not by me, anyway.

Actually my post was pretty much soon after yours & you pointed out that you were joking & IIRC, you also said it couldn't happen. - But I might be wrong in that because I haven't checked.

No, it wasn't you that shouted me down & I haven't suggested it was.

We might not agree on much but at least you usually debate with a modicum of intelligence unlike the troll in chief & his fairy godmother. Both of whom I now have on ignore. :rofl:

lutonlad Nov 6th 2016 8:06 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Having seen Gina Miller being interviewed this morning, I now realise that her motives for bringing the Article 50 legal challenge are totally honourable.

And there's me thinking that it's just a cynical ploy to enable our Parliamentary Elite to redefine the result of the referendum - such as MPs and Lords blocking any attempt to leave the EU unless we retain access to the Single Market with unrestricted EU immigration.

The lady denied any such thing of course. She's just doing her duty. What a credit to society she is.

I must suppress these wicked thoughts and stop doubting the integrity of Remainers.

Then I woke up.

Lion in Winter Nov 6th 2016 8:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097326)
Having seen Gina Miller being interviewed this morning, I now realise that her motives for bringing the Article 50 legal challenge are totally honourable.

And there's me thinking that it's just a cynical ploy to enable our Parliamentary Elite to redefine the result of the referendum - such as MPs and Lords blocking any attempt to leave the EU unless we retain access to the Single Market with unrestricted EU immigration.

The lady denied any such thing of course. She's just doing her duty. What a credit to society she is.

I must suppress these wicked thoughts and stop doubting the integrity of Remainers.

Then I woke up.

When you say "elite", do you mean the MPs we all voted into office, in some cases repeatedly?

And if there are people who want to retain access to the single market, you can be sure it's big business that is really calling the shots here, Parliament or no Parliament, witness the government's recent cozy private discussion with Nissan in Sunderland.

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 8:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097326)
Having seen Gina Miller being interviewed this morning, I now realise that her motives for bringing the Article 50 legal challenge are totally honourable.

And there's me thinking that it's just a cynical ploy to enable our Parliamentary Elite to redefine the result of the referendum - such as MPs and Lords blocking any attempt to leave the EU unless we retain access to the Single Market with unrestricted EU immigration.

The lady denied any such thing of course. She's just doing her duty. What a credit to society she is.

I must suppress these wicked thoughts and stop doubting the integrity of Remainers.

Then I woke up.

:goodpost: but you forgot the :sarcasm: chappie again. :thumbsup:

jimenato Nov 6th 2016 8:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097326)
Having seen Gina Miller being interviewed this morning, I now realise that her motives for bringing the Article 50 legal challenge are totally honourable.

And there's me thinking that it's just a cynical ploy to enable our Parliamentary Elite to redefine the result of the referendum - such as MPs and Lords blocking any attempt to leave the EU unless we retain access to the Single Market with unrestricted EU immigration.

The lady denied any such thing of course. She's just doing her duty. What a credit to society she is.

I must suppress these wicked thoughts and stop doubting the integrity of Remainers.

Then I woke up.

You will also of course seen Farago confirming what we all already knew - that the referendum was only advisory.

la mancha Nov 6th 2016 8:34 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097284)
I am talking about the exact same issues as you, and was responding to your post, above.

Why is it that these issues could not be addressed by our government while we are/were in the EU?

Because there are too many people chasing the same resources which are too few. Because we are playing catch-up all the time. There is no breathing space to catch up. We are kicking the can down the road. There is no end result except more misery.

No FOM can alleviate the problem. What is wrong with you that you cannot understand this?

And we are not talking about the same issues. I and others in the referendum did not vote because of young homelessness or drug addiction or education.
I cannot make it any clearer.

paulry Nov 6th 2016 8:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12097336)
You will also of course seen Farago confirming what we all already knew - that the referendum was only advisory.

That's not what those who called the referendum led everyone to believe.

paulry Nov 6th 2016 8:41 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097329)
When you say "elite", do you mean the MPs we all voted into office, in some cases repeatedly?

Yep, the electorate have repeatedly been suckered by that bunch. But don't worry, it could all be about to change ;)

lutonlad Nov 6th 2016 9:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12097336)
You will also of course seen Farago confirming what we all already knew - that the referendum was only advisory.

Of course it was, silly me.

Perhaps there should have been a health warning to that effect on the ballot paper.

Mind you, no doubt you think the Brexiteers had trouble enough reading 'Leave the EU' without expecting them to learn new words.

Lion in Winter Nov 6th 2016 11:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12097357)
Yep, the electorate have repeatedly been suckered by that bunch. But don't worry, it could all be about to change ;)

It is? What is the "it" exactly that you propose to change?

paulry Nov 7th 2016 7:14 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097431)
It is? What is the "it" exactly that you propose to change?

Do catch up. "it" being voters repeatedly suckered into voting for scheming lying politicians.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:20 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.