British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

lutonlad Nov 6th 2016 2:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

So there you have it La Mancha.
The 'experts' have spoken.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097134)

What are your ideas then.
How do you think things will change dramatically for the better after brexit and why ?

Lion in Winter Nov 6th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12097100)
The main issues that people wanted dealt with were high rents, low paid work, school places, an NHS that works for them. I do not remember youth homelessness and drug addiction (?) mentioned as these are social issues and nothing at all to do with the EU and Brexit. Same with education. Seventeen million plus people want a new start. Within the EU that new start is not possible. Do you understand?

Why is that not possible? What part of our EU agreement prevents our government, or ever prevented our government, from addressing any of those things?

They are all social, political and economic issues, in my opinion.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 2:43 pm

How is this for a bit of light relief,
.Sunday times, Nigel Farage and the other UK meps are up to a thousand pounds month better off due to the fall in sterling as their salary and expenses are paid in Euros.
At least someone is benefitting from the Brexit vote,.
I wonder what their redundancy package will be worth.

Lion in Winter Nov 6th 2016 2:46 pm

Here, this is a pretty good explanation of the process I think.

Brexit court ruling: Your questions answered - BBC News

Notice that nobody is suggesting that Parliament overturn the referendum result.

jimenato Nov 6th 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12097059)
So basically when the vote was called for nobody really had an idea of what they were voting for and when and if the result was known what would then happen ;)

You've hit the nail right on the head.:thumbup:

mikelincs Nov 6th 2016 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12097169)
You've hit the nail right on the head.:thumbup:

Only taken some 540 pages of posts to reach that wonderful conclusion, which is, after all, the truth.

Fredbargate Nov 6th 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12097040)
Do grow up, you really are becoming a sad old buffer, thats a term of endearment.
Have you not got anything better to do. Gardening, washing the car ?

Why not take your own advice

35 posts in 9 hours today so far

God knows how many insults and lies

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12097201)

Mate, you'll find the forum much more enjoyable if you just put the silly old fart on ignore...... his posts are 110% trollings anyway so he never has anything to contribute.

And it makes it easier on the rest of us if you don't quote him because then we don't see those comments either.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12097214)
Mate, you'll find the forum much more enjoyable if you just put the silly old fart on ignore...... his posts are 110% trollings anyway so he never has anything to contribute.

And it makes it easier on the rest of us if you don't quote him because then we don't see those comments either.

I see I have touched a raw nerve with yet another of our cotton wool brits for who facts are just an incovenience..
It must come with the territory of preferring a represive white racist regime to the UK..

EMR Nov 6th 2016 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12097201)

Quoting respectable adult UK newsoapers is a lie, is it.
I suppose in your strange world that would be case.
What has been your contribution to the debate in recent days on a scale of 1 - 10. Minus 3 would seem appropriate.

la mancha Nov 6th 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12097126)
Change will not come, in or out if the EU nothing significant is going to alter the social and economic structure of the UK.
Cling to your dream that a non EU will make life different , but it is just that a dream.
Everything you want will cost billions, money the UK just does not have. In or out of the UK.

What do people want? Lower rents, a job with a decent wage, a school place for their kids, an unstretched NHS...this all costs next to nothing if numbers are reduced.

What a defeatist attitude you have. Life without the EU will be different. How can you say it will not?

Re your assessment that everything I want will cost billions. Don’t you see, if we continue to allow freedom of movement it will cost us even more? We are playing catch-up all the time. Kicking the can down the road is an EU thing. Is that where we want to be?

la mancha Nov 6th 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12097138)
Why is that not possible? What part of our EU agreement prevents our government, or ever prevented our government, from addressing any of those things?

They are all social, political and economic issues, in my opinion.

Your issues are not what the people voted for. Why do you not understand this? I am really getting fed up with this thread.

la mancha Nov 6th 2016 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12097134)

I would bow to their superior knowledge but my conscience would not allow it.

And tell them…no, I’ll do it myself. We did have a very good idea what we were voting for. To leave the EU or not. It said so on the ballot paper.

Say good-night to them for me. I haven’t the patience anymore.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12097235)
What do people want? Lower rents, a job with a decent wage, a school place for their kids, an unstretched NHS...this all costs next to nothing if numbers are reduced.

What a defeatist attitude you have. Life without the EU will be different. How can you say it will not?

Re your assessment that everything I want will cost billions. Don’t you see, if we continue to allow freedyom of movement it will cost us even more? We are playing catch-up all the time. Kicking the can down the road is an EU thing. Is that where we want to be?

I agree life outside of the EU will be different but it will not result in the changes you seek..
It could be much worse, it will certainly not be any better.
If youi believe otherwise please explain why ?
Will Starbucks, Weatherspoons etc raise their min wage to 20 pounds hour without putting up prices.
Why will landlords reduce rents when the UK faces a deepening housing crisis.
I want what you want but I live in the real world not one of fantasy.