British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Nov 6th 2016 8:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12096927)
My experience as a UK resident and voter since the 70,s is that governments can and have called elections when it suited them.

The small matter of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 (one of the first acts of the then new government and one of many ways in which the Conservatives, when in power, always seek to gain ever more unfair advantage in strengthening and retaining their grip on the nation) changed all that.

It's all in that handy little explanation in the link I provided. You should really read it.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12096919)
See my above post---India recently reduced their visa restrictions for UK tourists and business entry in general, they expect UK to reciprocate---as is usual.

What "false pretences"? Are you saying there were no bogus colleges?

You should find time to watch the series on UK border contriolwhich shows the efforts the UK takes to prevent illegal and bogus entrants.
It might change the colour of the glasses you wear from rose tinted to clear.
You should also accept that as part of the brexit vote a majority voted for a reduction in immigration to a few tens thousands year, which May has committed herself to.
I do not agree with that but please do not delude yourself into thinking that India will get special treatment.
Bogus colleges needed bogus students.

Red Eric Nov 6th 2016 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12096665)

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12096530)

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12096502)
Among the things that annoy and anger me is how the most neglected, used, and disadvantaged people in the UK have been misled and betrayed again. 40 years of neglect and the undoing of their social rights and supports by the British government has been channeled by them and by their friends in the tabloid press into anti EU and anti-immigrant sentiment, allowing the government to avoid all responsibility for their actions and their inaction.

Post brexit, there is nothing at all to indicate that the government would do anything at all to improve their situation. They are being encouraged to feel that they have won something by getting some unspecified form of brexit when in reality their lives won't be improved one iota.

I'd be interested to know on what evidence you base that statement? because it's nothing more than idle speculation but the difference is the Pre Brexit the UK is bound by EU laws which they can do nothing about (as has been increasingly proved as every year has gone by) whereas the post Brexit UK will be able to change it's laws as it wants to without any outside interference.

So your contention is that the underfunding of the NHS, the lack of affordable housing, the failure of state education to educate all to a functional standard, youth homelessness and toxic drug addiction, and the lack of economic investment and opportunity in some parts of the country are all due to our EU membership and the British government was prevented from addressing any of it because EU-imposed laws prevented them?

Exactly :goodpost: - and I notice the question remains unanswered.

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12096665)
So your contention is that the underfunding of the NHS, the lack of affordable housing, the failure of state education to educate all to a functional standard, youth homelessness and toxic drug addiction, and the lack of economic investment and opportunity in some parts of the country are all due to our EU membership and the British government was prevented from addressing any of it because EU-imposed laws prevented them?

No........ Where did I ever make that claim?

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 9:38 am

Here's what I said & it has nothing whatsoever to do with your spurious claim.

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
I'd be interested to know on what evidence you base that statement? because it's nothing more than idle speculation but the difference is the Pre Brexit the UK is bound by EU laws which they can do nothing about (as has been increasingly proved as every year has gone by) whereas the post Brexit UK will be able to change it's laws as it wants to without any outside interference.

EMR Nov 6th 2016 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12096955)

What laws that have had a negative effect on the lives of those who LIVE in the UK.
I have asked this question numerous times of brexiters and to date have not had a reasoned unprejudiced answer.
Note 7% of UK law can directly be attributed to the EU.
Whether this is too much or not is debatable but proof that daily life in the UK is not bound by EU laws.

lutonlad Nov 6th 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12096949)
No........ Where did I ever make that claim?

You made the claim by supporting Brexit.

In doing so, you are part of a social category where all of your views are known. You are considered to be part of a new underclass. Sorry.

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2016 9:50 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12096962)
What laws that have had a negative effect on the lives of those who LIVE in the UK.
I have asked this question numerous times of brexiters and to date have not had a reasoned unprejudiced answer.
Note 7% of UK law can directly be attributed to the EU.
Whether this is too much or not is debatable but proof that daily life in the UK is not bound by EU laws.

Well if I was living in the UK then the EU law dealing with vacuum cleaners exceeding 1600 watts would affect me.
From the 1st of September 2014, manufacturers were banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1,600 watts within the European Union.
Manufacturers affected by the ban include Samsung, Miele, Hoover and Bosch. According to the BBC, each company will be introducing new, more energy-efficient models which are just as effective as the outgoing banned machines, but this begs the question as to why the old ones require so much power to provide suction.

UK-based Dyson has never produced a vacuum that uses more than 1,600watts, so is unaffected by the ban, but the company is still keen to point out the problems with the EU ruling, which will also force manufacturers to put an energy rating on the box of all new models.
Best vacuum cleaner 2016: EU vacuum cleaner ruling explained | Expert Reviews

mfesharne Nov 6th 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12096965)
You made the claim by supporting Brexit.

In doing so, you are part of a social category where all of your views are known. You are considered to be part of a new underclass. Sorry.

Don't be ridiculous.

I made & make no such claim & I supported Brexit because I believe the UK & my loved ones who live there will have a better future out of the EUSSR than they would inside it.

And that is my democratic right....... If you don't like it, then lump it. :confused:

EMR Nov 6th 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12096968)
Well if I was living in the UK then the EU law dealing with vacuum cleaners exceeding 1600 watts would affect me.
From the 1st of September 2014, manufacturers were banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1,600 watts within the European Union.
Manufacturers affected by the ban include Samsung, Miele, Hoover and Bosch. According to the BBC, each company will be introducing new, more energy-efficient models which are just as effective as the outgoing banned machines, but this begs the question as to why the old ones require so much power to provide suction.

UK-based Dyson has never produced a vacuum that uses more than 1,600watts, so is unaffected by the ban, but the company is still keen to point out the problems with the EU ruling, which will also force manufacturers to put an energy rating on the box of all new models.
Best vacuum cleaner 2016: EU vacuum cleaner ruling explained | Expert Reviews

Vacuum cleaners, really ?

Bipat Nov 6th 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12096932)
You should find time to watch the series on UK border contriolwhich shows the efforts the UK takes to prevent illegal and bogus entrants.
It might change the colour of the glasses you wear from rose tinted to clear.
You should also accept that as part of the brexit vote a majority voted for a reduction in immigration to a few tens thousands year, which May has committed herself to.
I do not agree with that but please do not delude yourself into thinking that India will get special treatment.
Bogus colleges needed bogus students.

I am aware of the border controls and illegal immigration.
Did you disagree with the closure of bogus colleges??
Many were run by people of subcontinent origin (not just Indian), they were a source of illegal immigration. However they also defrauded youngsters who quite legally paid money hoping to get some sort of qualification, and often those from low income groups.

India will not get special treatment. Just the ongoing, usual reciprocal visa arrangements ---nothing new about that.
But as you have clear glasses and know everything. I am sure you know all about visa regulations for India:lol:

GeniB Nov 6th 2016 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12096955)

And ? Once again Brexiters cannot quote one single 'EU law' that Britain has not already agree'd to and complied with.. Just name one ! One law that we can get our teeth into, that has seriously impeded Britain's ability to rule itself.?:confused:

Former Lancastrian Nov 6th 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12096976)
Vacuum cleaners, really ?

You asked for an EU law that affected UK citizens so I gave you one. Im sure there are others if I could be arsed to look.

Im a UK expat living in Canada who couldn't vote so I have no horse in this race.
Parliament gave a vote to the public to leave or remain in the EU. The leave vote won. Parliament is elected. Now the recent ruling by the 3 High court judges who are NOT ELECTED has caused further chaos. Why are UNELECTED persons making decisions on what ELECTED officials can or cannot do.
IMHO article 50 should be allowed to be triggered without a vote as they asked for the vote and got the result saying LEAVE. Thats true democracy.

As for the merits of leaving or remaining I really don't give a rats ass.

Bipat Nov 6th 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12096984)
And ? Once again Brexiters cannot quote one single 'EU law' that Britain has not already agree'd to and complied with.. Just name one ! One law that we can get our teeth into, that has seriously impeded Britain's ability to rule itself.?:confused:

Deportation of foreign criminals for one.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a6856966.html

Of course David Miliband signed the Lisbon Treaty which increased the powers of the ECJ. (Should have been Gordon Brown but he had a prior engagement:lol:)

jimenato Nov 6th 2016 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12096988)
You asked for an EU law that affected UK citizens so I gave you one. Im sure there are others if I could be arsed to look.

Im a UK expat living in Canada who couldn't vote so I have no horse in this race.
Parliament gave a vote to the public to leave or remain in the EU. The leave vote won. Parliament is elected. Now the recent ruling by the 3 High court judges who are NOT ELECTED has caused further chaos. Why are UNELECTED persons making decisions on what ELECTED officials can or cannot do.
IMHO article 50 should be allowed to be triggered without a vote as they asked for the vote and got the result saying LEAVE. Thats true democracy.

As for the merits of leaving or remaining I really don't give a rats ass.

He actually said "an EU law that affected UK citizens adversely" - you missed that bit.:sneaky:

And reducing the power consumption of vacuum cleaners is actually a very good idea.