British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Jul 4th 2016 7:43 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11993072)
I see that the remain campaigns predictions are coming true with tax rises. Osbourne is considering putting up corporation tax from 20% to 15%;)

Osbourne has only 'vowed' to slash corporate tax.. needs to have a tiny word with Mark Carney first methinks.. He's the only thing standing between the UK and financial disaster right now.

Red Eric Jul 4th 2016 7:43 am

I see that the remain campaigns predictions are coming true with tax rises. Osbourne is considering putting up corporation tax from 20% to 15%;)

Ouch! Corporation tax reductions sounds like a symptom of early-onset austerity to come.

Painful and no realistic prospects of a return to full health any time soon.

JACHA Jul 4th 2016 7:47 am

Bipat. NZ citizens can come to Australia and live and work here indefinitely provided they have a special visa. So no we don't have freedom of movement. People must still meet all the visa requirements.
Fred we have taught our children (as most parents do) about real life. I'm still at a loss to understand if the referendum was not about globalisation, or immigration was it really about making the UK a powerhouse again and gaining back control of what??? It is impossible to have freedom of movement and controlled immigration at the same time.

paulry Jul 4th 2016 7:48 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11993086)
A group of business's is preparing a legal challenge to prevent the Government from beginning BREXIT. negotiations without an act of Parliament.

The action is being brought by law firm Mischcon de Reya ( The lawyers to the rich ,the Queen being one of them) This would complicate the path to leaving the EU.given that a large majority of MP's were in favour of remaining.

The legal challenge follows an article by three academics stating that 'The government would be violating Parliamentary Sovereignty if it activated Article 50 on it's own,because it would render redundant rights established by the European Communities act of 1972. In the UK constitution,Parliament gets to make this decision..not the Prime Minister.

It gets more and more interesting doesn't it.

I wonder if the same standards of governance were applied prior to entering the Common Market and signing up to the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties?

Red Eric Jul 4th 2016 7:58 am

That's a rather odd reaction to "We really ought to make sure this is done according to the constitution".

Do you have some objection to adherence to the country's most fundamental laws? Or a worry that if they're followed, you might have to wait to see what a Brexit looks like?

amideislas Jul 4th 2016 8:56 am

Well, I've always said that Britain's best shot in a post-brexit world would be to move closer to a "tax haven". It seems Osborne agrees.

I suspect this has more to do with the sharp drop in planned business investment, an attempt to keep businesses from leaving, and a general assurance that Britain is "still open for business".

EMR Jul 4th 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11993126)
Well, I've always said that Britain's best shot in a post-brexit world would be to move closer to a "tax haven". It seems Osborne agrees.

I suspect this has more to do with the sharp drop in planned business investment, an attempt to keep businesses from leaving, and a general assurance that Britain is "still open for business".

You are right, its a bribe to keep companies in the UK.

Of course if tax revenue drops as a result what follows ?.
Cuts in services , increases in personal tax or vat.

Bipat Jul 4th 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 11993092)
Bipat. NZ citizens can come to Australia and live and work here indefinitely provided they have a special visa. So no we don't have freedom of movement. People must still meet all the visa requirements.
Fred we have taught our children (as most parents do) about real life. I'm still at a loss to understand if the referendum was not about globalisation, or immigration was it really about making the UK a powerhouse again and gaining back control of what??? It is impossible to have freedom of movement and controlled immigration at the same time.

It was about three things. Control of our own Justice system, trading without restrictions with any country, and equal process for immigration of non-EU and EU migrants.

paulry Jul 4th 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11993103)
That's a rather odd reaction to "We really ought to make sure this is done according to the constitution".

Do you have some objection to adherence to the country's most fundamental laws? Or a worry that if they're followed, you might have to wait to see what a Brexit looks like?

Actually it's a very valid and reasonable response. Were we led into membership of and treaties with the EU without due respect to our nation's laws? If the answer is yes then maybe those actions are null and void.

EMR Jul 4th 2016 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11993139)
It was about three things. Control of our own Justice system, trading without restrictions with any country, and equal process for immigration of non-EU and EU migrants.

Still clinging to your idealism, you are to be praised at least for that.

Red Eric Jul 4th 2016 9:56 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11993141)
Actually it's a very valid and reasonable response. Were we led into membership of and treaties with the EU without due respect to our nation's laws? If the answer is yes then maybe those actions are null and void.

There were enough people around then who now say they were against those commitments to have challenged them through all possible legal channels.

I assume they did and that the answer to your original question is therefore "Yes".

mikelincs Jul 4th 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11993139)

but, leaving the EU may well bring in restrictions against trade with EU countries, so swapping one restriction with another.. sounds like a good plan.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 4th 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11993245)
but, leaving the EU may well bring in restrictions against trade with EU countries, so swapping one restriction with another.. sounds like a good plan.

Except that we are in the driving seat now and I'll say it yet again,
They need us more than we need them.

Up to 750,000 jobs on the line in Germany alone,if they don't reach an agreement, which is why Merkel has told Junckers to keep his stupid mouth shut and get on with the job in a civilised manner.

EMR Jul 4th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11993539)
Except that we are in the driving seat now and I'll say it yet again,
They need us more than we need them.

Up to 750,000 jobs on the line in Germany alone,if they don't reach an agreement, which is why Merkel has told Junckers to keep his stupid mouth shut and get on with the job in a civilised manner.

What world do you live in.
Our currency has tanked, credit ratng slashed.
If we are in the driving seat, its facing the wrong way.

Lion in Winter Jul 4th 2016 7:39 pm

And on it goes.

But no, racism wasn't whipped up by the leave campaign at all at all. Nothing to do with it.

David Lammy receives death threat after EU referendum result | Politics | The Guardian