British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Nov 3rd 2016 8:14 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12094464)
Who's "we" there Dick? Any of those people who wanted to haven't been able to enter the UK because of immigration control, some of which is taking place on French soil.

And what's that to do with the UK post Brexit anyway (apart from the possibility that in future the permission to conduct such control in France may well be withdrawn)?

It's bizarre isn't it? What on earth has that got to do with Brexit?

jimenato Nov 3rd 2016 8:40 am

I can only think that May is using Boris to set Brexit up to fail...

Boris Johnson, Brexit’s cheerleader-in-chief, has said the UK’s exit from the European Union will be a “Titanic success”.

The Foreign Secretary drew comparisons to the ill-fated cruise liner, which sank when it crashed into an iceberg in 1912 on its maiden voyage, when presenting an award to George Osborne at the Spectator Parliamentarian of the Year Awards
http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/...502c30918.jpeg

GeniB Nov 3rd 2016 8:54 am

He is a monumental ego -attached to a buffoon :blink:

GeniB Nov 3rd 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12093631)
This is the point of links...:rolleyes: - it's so that people know what you're on about. I assume it's this to which you refer...

Wetherspoons

He's a pub landlord and a very successful one and he should stick to that. He's making himself look a bit foolish over Brexit.

What an ass !! (I could supply the rest,rhyming with bowl) He was one of the very first business men to wholly back Farage and Brexit. NOW? He's crying foul? Pleeeeze :rofl:

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2016 9:09 am

Big day for the government today - must democracy prevail or can Theresa Mayl act like a jack-booted dictator?

High court to declare verdict on whether UK government has right to trigger Brexit

EMR Nov 3rd 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12094494)
Big day for the government today - must democracy prevail or can Theresa Mayl act like a jack-booted dictator?

High court to declare verdict on whether UK government has right to trigger Brexit

The irony is that May not so many years ago argued that only Parliament should make major decisions regarding the UK relationship with the EU.

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2016 9:15 am

Maybe the case should be referred to the ECJ?

mfesharne Nov 3rd 2016 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12094499)
Maybe the case should be referred to the ECJ?

The same thought had occurred to me & I wouldn't be in the least surprised if that's what happens.......... how's that for irony! :rofl:

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12094503)
The same thought had occurred to me & I wouldn't be in the least surprised if that's what happens.......... how's that for irony! :rofl:

I was being ironic ;)

Clearly there's no way this could possibly end up in the ECJ.

mfesharne Nov 3rd 2016 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12094506)
I was being ironic ;)

Clearly there's no way this could possibly end up in the ECJ.

I appreciate you were (hence my comment about irony) & although I don't know a helluva lot about it, surely whoever loses the case has the right to appeal & if they do, wouldn't it go to the next higher court which I'd have thought is the European Court?

If TM wins I'd have thought the losers would be onto that possibility like a dog on a bone.

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12094511)
I appreciate you were (hence my comment about irony) & although I don't know a helluva lot about it, surely whoever loses the case has the right to appeal & if they do, wouldn't it go to the next higher court which I'd have thought is the European Court?

Then you didn't understand the irony, which rests upon the fact that the ECJ has no jurisdiction whatsoever in this matter.

mfesharne Nov 3rd 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12094512)
Then you didn't understand the irony, which rests upon the fact that the ECJ has no jurisdiction whatsoever in this matter.

As I said, I don't know a helluva lot about it and have been out of the UK for decades but if that's the case, why not?

That's a genuine question not a piss take......... I thought the highest court in the UK was the high court but then cases could be appealed to the European Court rather like the Supreme Court in the US........ am I wrong in that assumption?

Assanah Nov 3rd 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12094521)
As I said, I don't know a helluva lot about it and have been out of the UK for decades but if that's the case, why not?

That's a genuine question not a piss take......... I thought the highest court in the UK was the high court but then cases could be appealed to the European Court rather like the Supreme Court in the US........ am I wrong in that assumption?

If you don't know what you are talking about why not simply shut up and read about it? You can't appeal to the US supreme Court because you are not part of the US - you can appeal to the European Court of Justice because you are a member of the EU - your country signed the treaties and committted to the EU - no force was envolved.
About the scope of the jurisdiction of the ECJ please read the treaties or this:

Competences of the Court of Justice of the European Union | EU fact sheets | European Parliament

For once please argue factually based on a understanding of the working of the EU and the UK and a knowledge about the UK and EU legal systems. other than that I can only cite a German comedian (yeah I know a real oxymoron):
"Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal Fresse halten"

If you are interested about possible translations:

http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolv...dThread=136083

EMR Nov 3rd 2016 10:04 am

Its yet another piece of Brexit propoganda.

The case is about interpretation of UK law not EU law.

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2016 10:04 am

Hmmm - you've got me thinking now, thanks :o. Maybe I was being a bit hasty.

I was working on the assumption that as it's for the country doing the leaving to act within its Constitution, that wouldn't be a matter on which the ECJ could decide, since it only gets involved on points of Community Law. However, as Article 50 is the Community Law which stipulates that the government has to act within the Constitution, I suppose a challenge could theoretically be taken there once the other national court appeals process has been exhausted.

Be a brave ECJ judge who'd rule against a nation's Supreme Court on a matter relating to an unwritten Constitution, though, I'd say.