British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Nov 1st 2016 5:32 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12092847)
Yes, I can read and I just don’t get this. NO British Jews are going to Germany. They are applying for German citizenship through ancestry, that is all. No one, so far, is fleeing Britain for Germany. No one is going anywhere. The usual number is twenty-five a year so this is nothing new. Twenty-five a year without a Brexit vote, by the way.

It is your post so read the bloody thing first.

I suppose it is the thing of the moment when everyone is going around applying for other nationalities. Calm down, everyone, Brexit hasn’t happened yet and when it does I still fail to see how it will affect me going to Spain, for example, to open a business.

And British Jews are not foreigners: they are British. See? Even you don't know what you are talking about.

I know this is hearsay, and I don't have a link, but for what it's worth, I have a friend who works for the ausländeramt in Munich, and she told me just a few days ago, that the number of British applying for German citizenship is overwhelming. One year backlog for new British applications.

Plus, there's no lack of reports in the media that most of the larger EU members are experiencing a significant increase in the number of citizenship applications from Brits.

It's not as if it doesn't exist. It's enough to be notable at least. I'm considering applying for Spanish citizenship, although it would probably be easier for me to apply for German citizenship. I suppose I'll need to get started soon...

This says there's been a 250% increase:

Brexit vote sees surge in number of UK citizens seeking EU citizenship

Bipat Nov 1st 2016 5:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12092759)
Not a nation state, and therefore unable to sign it's own international agreements, I believe?

So what about Goa?

Portugal allows the descendants of the original Portuguese Goans to register as Portuguese citizens at birth. So therefore they can migrate to Portugal if they wish and move on elsewhere.

la mancha Nov 1st 2016 6:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12092982)
I know this is hearsay, and I don't have a link, but for what it's worth, I have a friend who works for the ausländeramt in Munich, and she told me just a few days ago, that the number of British applying for German citizenship is overwhelming. One year backlog for new British applications.

Plus, there's no lack of reports in the media that most of the larger EU members are experiencing a significant increase in the number of citizenship applications from Brits.

It's not as if it doesn't exist. It's enough to be notable at least. I'm considering applying for Spanish citizenship, although it would probably be easier for me to apply for German citizenship. I suppose I'll need to get started soon...

This says there's been a 250% increase:

Brexit vote sees surge in number of UK citizens seeking EU citizenship

I didn’t say it doesn’t exist.

From your link 230 British nationals applied for citizenship in Berlin in the first eight months of the year. Only 45 applications were applied over the same period 2015. So this is nothing new, only the numbers are inflated with eye-boggling headlines such as a 250% rise in applications. In reality the numbers are miniscule when you consider there are over 100,000 expats in Germany.

But no one is gaining dual nationality and moving. They are those who already work there or have family ties and maybe they will want to move back some time in the future? It has been going on forever. I read your link and it seems many younger people are applying for dual nationality in case they want to work in Europe in the future. It is a ‘fashion’ thing, bragging rights, maybe, because if any of these idiots bothered to ask anyone older than themselves they will realise that British people have been living and working in Europe since modern time began, and vice versa.

3674 Poles were granted British citizenship in 2015.

2800 British citizens applied for citizenship in eighteen European countries in the first eight months of 2016.

Hardly a headline.

amideislas Nov 1st 2016 6:32 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
You sound like the express. Nobody said there's any mass migration. But there's no upside to brexit, and some of the potential downsides are of substantial concern to those who have significant ties to the continent.

I am one of them. Frankly, with all the uncertainty, and considering how surprisingly naïve and uninformed the new government appears to be about the EU, the most sensible way to avoid that uncertainty is to obtain EU citizenship. Otherwise, it's not inconceivable that we could be facing a major problem in the not too distant future.

Fredbargate Nov 1st 2016 6:50 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12092927)
What is the obsession with links here. Are people not capable of discussing any issue in their own words or something?

Simple

Some posters lie to try and prove their point and claim to quote various sources without linking to them

When challenged they often respond Google

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 6:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12092982)
I know this is hearsay, and I don't have a link, but for what it's worth, I have a friend who works for the ausländeramt in Munich, and she told me just a few days ago, that the number of British applying for German citizenship is overwhelming. One year backlog for new British applications.

Every cloud has a silver lining Ami.

They'll probably replace the Germans who are doing a runner to Hungary to get away from the Muslims. ;)

EMR Nov 1st 2016 6:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Uk minister refuses to publish details of Nissan agreement.
House of commons today.
Something to hide methinks or just wants to avoid a stampede of UK companies desdending on Downing street.demanding similar levels of support..

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2016 6:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12093041)
Simple

Some posters lie to try and prove their point

Oh no!! Does that mean we're all out of the running for our Pulitzer Prizes this year?

This is a ****ing expat forum, not Question Time. Lighten the **** up.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 6:57 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12093046)
Uk minister refuses to publish details of Nissan agreement.
House of commons today.
Something to hide methinks or just wants to avoid a stampede of UK companies desdending on Downing street.demanding similar levels of support..

With your vivid imagination, I'm sure you'll make the details up yourself as per usual. :cool:

Fredbargate Nov 1st 2016 6:57 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12093047)
Oh no!! Does that mean we're all out of the running for our Pulitzer Prizes this year?

This is a ****ing expat forum, not Question Time. Lighten the **** up.

So you are happy to debate with liars, seems a pointless exercise to me

But if you are happy that way fill your boots

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2016 7:01 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12093056)
So you are happy to debate with liars, seems a pointless exercise to me

But if you are happy that way fill your boots

We're posting in a thread called 'Post Brexit' in a world where there hasn't even been a Brexit and you're just now calling this a pointless exercise?

Exactly what liars are you talking about? Citation ****ing needed, right there. You're all about proof, so have at it.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 7:02 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12092964)
Something supporting one's point of view is useful when trying to explain to some Leavers why they're wrong.

....or why they're right.;)

la mancha Nov 1st 2016 7:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12093019)
You sound like the express. Nobody said there's any mass migration. But there's no upside to brexit, and some of the potential downsides are of substantial concern to those who have significant ties to the continent.

I am one of them. Frankly, with all the uncertainty, and considering how surprisingly naïve and uninformed the new government appears to be about the EU, the most sensible way to avoid that uncertainty is to obtain EU citizenship. Otherwise, it's not inconceivable that we could be facing a major problem in the not too distant future.

And you sound like you always do, missing the point of the discussion. I was answering a poster who said British Jews are moving to Germany.

Then you jumped in.

I did not say anything about mass migration. This is where you jump in and get it all wrong and start to tell me I sound like the Express.

Dual citizenship is nothing new. That is my point.

As for there being no upside to Brexit, we haven’t Brexit’ed yet.

TGA Nov 1st 2016 7:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12093047)
Oh no!! Does that mean we're all out of the running for our Pulitzer Prizes this year?

This is a ****ing expat forum, not Question Time. Lighten the **** up.

you do make me laugh kev:rofl:

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2016 7:04 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12093064)
you do make me laugh kev:rofl:

Oh, it's you. I'd ask how you are doing but you'll only completely ignore the question.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:22 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.