British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Nov 1st 2016 9:08 am

re: Post EU Referendum

This Investment Bank Sold All UK Assets Before Brexit Vote - Bloomberg

The Stockholm-based bank is staying out of U.K. investments because uncertainty remains too large a factor regarding negotiations to leave the EU, or even if Prime Minister Theresa May will secure one, the strategist told Bloomberg Radio earlier on Monday.

“It will definitely end with a deal that is so bad they will either get an election about this new bad deal, or they will have to have a parliamentary election before that,” Drusebjerg said in the radio interview. “It’s very possible that Britain will never reach Brexit because I think down the road it will be obvious that the deal they will get will be really, really bad for the economy.”

Brexit is shaping up to be the worst of a slew of nationalist sentiment that’s hitting the global economy, the strategist said, citing a potential Donald Trump victory in U.S. elections, a constitutional vote in Italy in December to limit the power of the Senate and parliamentary votes next year in Germany and France.

That could result in the election of more politicians who advocate trade barriers, which would be negative for investors, he said.

amideislas Nov 1st 2016 9:20 am

a softer EU exit could yet be on the cards

Nissan decision to stay in Britain came with clear signal that No 10 is aiming for a free trade relationship similar to single market

Breaking with the PM’s edict of not providing a running commentary, Clark delivered a clear signal that No 10 is aiming for a free trade relationship with the EU similar to the single market and customs union:
"What I said was that our objective would be to ensure that we would have continued access to the markets in Europe – and vice versa – without tariffs and without bureaucratic impediments and that is how we will approach those negotiations."
As our colleague Patrick Wintour noted, Clark’s clear implication was that Britain’s target will be not just to avoid tariff and non-tariff barriers with the EU for carmakers but probably to seek similar deals for other industries in a sector-by-sector approach.

The first point about this is that when it comes to the negotiations, part of the government plainly sees access to the EU single market as at least as important as migration controls and ending oversight from the European court of justice. That appears to be at odds with May’s stated priorities.

The second is that the logical inference from Clark’s remarks is that he believes Britain should stay in the customs union – which is not necessarily the view of Liam Fox at the Department for International Trade.

The third is that it is by no means clear – some would say highly unlikely – that the EU will be open to such sector-by-sector negotiations.

It does all, though, suggest that May’s views on the desirability of remaining in – or as good as in – the single market might be closer to the ones she revealed privately to Goldman Sachs bankers before the referendum than to those she trumpeted at the Conservative party conference.

The prime minister’s preferred Brexit may be softer than anyone thought – which could mean trouble ahead from the Brexiters.

Red Eric Nov 1st 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11973972)
Is there any other country in the world that does not control who can or cannot enter/ live/work in their country? Please tell me if you know of any?

Membership of the EU means that UK has a limitation in choice about immigration.

Just dredging up this quote from the past from you Bipat 'cos I remember you being quite persistent at one point about "is there anywhere else in the world where freedom of movement takes place?" as though the answer "No" might justify the ending of it in the EU.

So - apart from the fact that Australia and New Zealand practise a similar sort of freedom of movement, here's a proposal for the future where a number of other non EU nations will be looking to emulate it, too

The aim of the proposal is to facilitate the movement of people among the Portuguese-speaking community...

If approved, such a measure would allow any citizen from a CPLP members’ state the right to live in any of the other member’s state territory.

... the nine members of the community, which include only Portugal, Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Guinea, Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, East Timor and Equatorial Guinea.

For some time, Costa has floated the idea that “closer ties” should connect the Portuguese-speaking countries, which would enhance the reputation of the CPLP as a transnational “union.”
Good, eh? :thumbup: where the EU leads, others will follow :)

Red Eric Nov 1st 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12092610)

Breaking with the PM’s edict of not providing a running commentary, Clark delivered a clear signal that No 10 is aiming for a free trade relationship with the EU similar to the single market and customs union

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So I wonder what the "Of course the UK isn't going to talk about what it wants before the negotiations start, stupid" Brexit Brigade are going to make of that, then?

'Course, the UK can now make its own decisions about the revealing of hands now it's voted to leave the EU :lol::lol::lol:

EMR Nov 1st 2016 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12092622)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So I wonder what the "Of course the UK isn't going to talk about what it wants before the negotiations start, stupid" Brexit Brigade are going to make of that, then?

'Course, the UK can now make its own decisions about the revealing of hands now it's voted to leave the EU :lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry Dick will be along soon telling us that Government statements are all speculation and supposition..

Bipat Nov 1st 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12092615)
Just dredging up this quote from the past from you Bipat 'cos I remember you being quite persistent at one point about "is there anywhere else in the world where freedom of movement takes place?" as though the answer "No" might justify the ending of it in the EU.

So - apart from the fact that Australia and New Zealand practise a similar sort of freedom of movement, here's a proposal for the future where a number of other non EU nations will be looking to emulate it, too

Good, eh? :thumbup: where the EU leads, others will follow :)

They will still have controls on others though.

Red Eric Nov 1st 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12092629)
They will still have controls on others though.

It wouldn't be much of a parallel example if that weren't the case, would it?

Bipat Nov 1st 2016 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12092636)
It wouldn't be much of a parallel example if that weren't the case, would it?

I was going to ask, but tablet packed up! What about the Portuguese Colony now Goa State, India? They prefer UK though, many in Swindon via Portugal and good old EU.:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 11:23 am

Brexit: Banks not worried by leave vote and ready to invest in Britain

"Banks are not worried by Britain's leave vote in the EU referendum and are ready to invest here
Around 20 financial firms are ready to invest £500m in Britain despite Brexit vote."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7142891.html

"Wells Fargo, the third largest bank in the US by assets, has agreed to buy an office in the City of London, just under a month after Britain voted to leave the EU. "

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12092546)
That's about the third or fourth time you've tried that one. Predictable and boring. And as disingenuous and spun as the last few times you misused it.

It shows how devoid of depth and substance you and your arguments are if you've got to keep doing that.

I won't bother refuting it yet again - we all know your style - or rather lack of it.

As long as posters on here try to claim that the Eu is Democratic I will make absolutely no apology for repeating it as often as the fancy takes me, so maybe you'll just have to start getting used to it.

jimenato Nov 1st 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12092677)
As long as posters on here try to claim that the Eu is Democratic I will make absolutely no apology for repeating it as often as the fancy takes me, so maybe you'll just have to start getting used to it.

Do you know the context in which he said it? Are you at all interested - or are you only interested in perpetuating the falsehood? Probably the latter if true to Brexiteer form.

Red Eric Nov 1st 2016 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12092641)
I was going to ask, but tablet packed up! What about the Portuguese Colony now Goa State, India? They prefer UK though, many in Swindon via Portugal and good old EU.:lol:

Not a country, therefore not eligible for membership of the CPLP, which this agree ment would cover. Bit like Macau and Galiza, which also have linguistic ties but are not countries in their own right.

Not sure why you keep bringing up Goa. Sure, there are Goans in the UK and no doubt elsewhere in the EU besides Portugal but it cuts both ways, you know. No doubt there are people born outside the EU enjoying EU freedom of movement thanks to British historical interference in wherever they're from. A number of Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans etc etc etc in Portugal and elsewhere, for example.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12092683)
Do you know the context in which he said it? Are you at all interested - or are you only interested in perpetuating the falsehood? Probably the latter if true to Brexiteer form.

What falsehood ? :confused:

EMR Nov 1st 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12092669)
Brexit: Banks not worried by leave vote and ready to invest in Britain

"Banks are not worried by Britain's leave vote in the EU referendum and are ready to invest here
Around 20 financial firms are ready to invest £500m in Britain despite Brexit vote."

US bank Wells Fargo buys London office despite Brexit fears | The Independent

"Wells Fargo, the third largest bank in the US by assets, has agreed to buy an office in the City of London, just under a month after Britain voted to leave the EU. "

You must be getting desperate Dick, how long are you going to keep recycling old news.

jimenato Nov 1st 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12092687)
What falsehood ? :confused:

Quoting that out of context.