British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

lutonlad Oct 28th 2016 12:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12089595)
We were exempt from further integration - one of the concessions that Cameron secured.

Many didn't believe it.

jimenato Oct 28th 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12089600)
Many didn't believe it.

All the lies they did believe and yet they didn't believe that - which was true.

Ingles Oct 28th 2016 2:01 pm

Typical !

Brexiter who stayed silent on falling pound and growth loses shit over immigrant children

paulry Oct 28th 2016 2:31 pm

Good to see Nigel still fighting the goog fight in Brussels :britflag:

SultanOfSwing Oct 28th 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12089663)
Good to see Nigel still fighting the goog fight in Brussels :britflag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lRfRi0B5Y

Amazing. It's almost as if that exact same video wasn't posted yesterday by one of your erstwhile partners in proselytizing.

paulry Oct 28th 2016 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12089666)
Amazing. It's almost as if that exact same video wasn't posted yesterday by one of your erstwhile partners in proselytizing.

Oh goody, a second chance for you to watch it then. :thumbup:

SultanOfSwing Oct 28th 2016 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12089671)
Oh goody, a second chance for you to watch it then. :thumbup:

You spelt 'ignore' incorrectly there.

Red Eric Oct 28th 2016 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12089672)
You spelt 'ignore' incorrectly there.

Wasn't too hot at "good", either.

SultanOfSwing Oct 28th 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12089679)
Wasn't too hot at "good", either.

Well, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for subjectivity there. But only because it's Friday and I'm in a good mood.

paulry Oct 28th 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12089685)
Well, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for subjectivity there. But only because it's Friday and I'm in a good mood.

:rofl: No you're not. You're still checking your eyes out in the mirror and you don't like what you see! :blink:

SultanOfSwing Oct 28th 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12089690)
:rofl: No you're not.

Yes I am. It's a lovely day, we have a World Series game at Wrigley Field to look forward to on the TV tonight, and a nice quiet weekend ahead. What's not to like about that?

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12089690)
You're still checking your eyes out in the mirror and you don't like what you see! :blink:

What's the obsession with my eyes all of a sudden? Though you should see the funny droop my left eyelid still has from the Bell's Palsy, you'd have a field day with that.

amideislas Oct 28th 2016 2:58 pm

This is an interesting analysis

Trump's rise and Brexit vote are more an outcome of culture than economics

Two of the most effective slogans of the Brexit and Trump campaigns have been “Take back control” and “I want my country back.” But the social conservatives inspired by such atavistic and authoritarian sentiments do not make up majorities in any western country. On its own, social conservatism could never mobilise more than 30-40% of voters. To achieve majorities, the socially conservative protectionists had to unite with the remnants of the Thatcher-Reagan laissez faire movement, who resent the interventionist economic management of the post-2008 period and want to intensify the competition, deregulation, and globalisation that social conservatives resent.

This unstable political compound is now dissolving in the US, and also in Britain, where prime minister Theresa May’s government is divided between ideological nationalists and economic liberals. If the US election on 8 November confirms Trump’s failure to bind social conservatives and economic liberals into a winning coalition, similar disintegration is likely among European populists, too.

In that case, the Brexit vote will begin to look like an aberration – not the start of a powerful new trend toward nationalism, protectionism, and de-globalisation, but the end of a backlash against modernity by an unstable alliance of social authoritarians and laissez faire market liberals. It will be the last gasp of an ageing generation that tried to impose its nostalgic parochialism on an increasingly cosmopolitan younger generation, but succeeded in only one unfortunate country.

paulry Oct 28th 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12089692)
Yes I am. It's a lovely day, we have a World Series game at Wrigley Field to look forward to on the TV tonight, and a nice quiet weekend ahead. What's not to like about that?

What's the obsession with my eyes all of a sudden? Though you should see the funny droop my left eyelid still has from the Bell's Palsy, you'd have a field day with that.

To be honest I don't care much what your eyes actually look like but my point when saying your eyes are close together is you are lacking in perspective. You surely haven't been really looking at them in the mirror have you?

Sorry to hear you have a droopy eyelid.

SultanOfSwing Oct 28th 2016 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12089697)
To be honest I don't care much what your eyes actually look like but my point when saying your eyes are close together is you are lacking in perspective. You surely haven't been really looking at them in the mirror have you?

Sorry to hear you have a droopy eyelid.

:lol:

No I only mentioned it because I noticed it in the bathroom this morning and you reminded me of it just then.

I have plenty of perspective but I think Flange is an odious piece of shit and you couldn't pay me enough to watch a video of him speaking. I can't stand the irritating git. Sue me.

la mancha Oct 28th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12089569)
The World Bank?? Aren't they one of the organisations you accused of being in the EU's pocket before the referendum?

Very likely elitist and stuffed full of soi disant experts to boot ;)

The difference is before it was speculation but this says how it is.