British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

JACHA Jul 3rd 2016 10:38 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Fred How will the cream rise to the top in a country that doesn't want to be part of the big picture of globalisation. The younger generation believe that anything and everything is possible as that is what we have taught them. I would even go so far to say that they are more tolerant and have more of a social conscience than people my age. Certainly our daughter and son in law and their friends and my colleagues all show these wonderful traits.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 3rd 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11992252)
If your not in the EU. You won't be eligible for the grants... simples

:rofl:

In other words we won't be eligible to get some of our own money back, which we won't have to hand over in the first place.

Typical remain sense of logic I suppose. :cool:

Bipat Jul 3rd 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 11992275)
Fred How will the cream rise to the top in a country that doesn't want to be part of the big picture of globalisation. The younger generation believe that anything and everything is possible as that is what we have taught them. I would even go so far to say that they are more tolerant and have more of a social conscience than people my age. Certainly our daughter and son in law and their friends and my colleagues all show these wonderful traits.

I really do not understand why post after post states being part of the EU is "globalisation"????
How many times??? The majority of the world/globe is not in the EU.

Yes, you could argue that the future is for a European Federation but that is not Globalisation.

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11992288)

In other words we won't be eligible to get some of our own money back, which we won't have to hand over in the first place.

Not a matter of that so much Dick. Maybe British students might find it a great deal more difficult to study (or do part of their studies) abroad for reasons other than finance.

Still be pretty straightforward for those with the means and the connections, though. The elites, I believe they're called, wot was voted against, apparently.

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11992292)

So the immigration posters were scaremongering, then? :sneaky:

EMR Jul 3rd 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11992292)
I really do not understand why post after post states being part of the EU is "globalisation"????

Yes, you could argue that the future is for a European Federation but that is not Globalisation.

One of the reason given, one of many for leave vote is growing globalisation.
Indudstries , finance and business that has little connection with the UK and those it employs.
Increasing globalisation will be yet another reason some brexiters will be dissappointed with a brexit light UK.

Fredbargate Jul 3rd 2016 11:04 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 11992275)

Then you should have taught them the reality of life.

Just because so many of them now have degrees it doesn't get away from the reality that you have to have the right frame of mind or their degree will be wasted stacking shelves in a supermarket or flipping burgers in a fast food joint.

Bipat Jul 3rd 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11992296)
So the immigration posters were scaremongering, then? :sneaky:

Not sure what you mean?

The official Brexit message was equal immigration procedures for Non-EU migrants and EU migrants.

Do you know any other countries in the world other than the UK which has free movement over its borders from neighbouring countries?

(I believe someone pointed out that Australia allows free movement from New Zealand ?? but that is a large country allowing movement from a small?)

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11992305)
Not sure what you mean?

Joke Bipat.

About the playing on the fears of people that the EU was being swamped with non-EU migrants whose eventual aim was to get to the UK.

I thought now we've left the EU we could Take Back Control of our famous Great British sense of humour.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 3rd 2016 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11992295)
Not a matter of that so much Dick. Maybe British students might find it a great deal more difficult to study (or do part of their studies) abroad for reasons other than finance.

Still be pretty straightforward for those with the means and the connections, though. The elites, I believe they're called, wot was voted against, apparently.

They were so concerned that the vast majority in that sort of age group couldn't even be bothered to turn up to vote. :cool:

No I don't suppose it would be a problem for the families of the self serving,noses in the trough elites in Brussels.

EMR Jul 3rd 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11992305)
Not sure what you mean?

The official Brexit message was equal immigration procedures for Non-EU migrants and EU migrants.

Do you know any other countries in the world other than the UK which has free movement over its borders from neighbouring countries?

(I believe someone pointed out that Australia allows free movement from New Zealand ?? but that is a large country allowing movement from a small?)

The official brexit message was a promise to cut immigration, All , immigration to a few tens thousands year.
That was Boris Gove, etc.
You must not have been in the UK during the camoaign or listened to the street intervies.
Why do you want to leave " immigration".

Bipat Jul 3rd 2016 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11992347)
The official brexit message was a promise to cut immigration, All , immigration to a few tens thousands year.
That was Boris Gove, etc.
You must not have been in the UK during the camoaign or listened to the street intervies.
Why do you want to leave " immigration".

The 100,000 a year was a figure in the Tory party manifesto.
The official Brexit campaign were suggesting a points system. In other words control. Numbers and skills according to need, of both EU and non-EU immigrants.

I keep asking is there any other country that allows free movement over its borders from neighbouring countries and that does not have controls over all immigrants and if not why not?*

In fact some Remainers are living in the USA --and there is a thread mocking those "desperate to immigrate".

*Obviously all countries have illegal immigrants.

EMR Jul 3rd 2016 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11992378)
The 100,000 a year was a figure in the Tory party manifesto.
The official Brexit campaign were suggesting a points system. In other words control. Numbers and skills according to need, of both EU and non-EU immigrants.

I keep asking is there any other country that allows free movement over its borders from neighbouring countries and that does not have controls over all immigrants and if not why not?*

In fact some Remainers are living in the USA --and there is a thread mocking those "desperate to immigrate".

*Obviously all countries have illegal immigrants.

You must be in denial or really never did hear Boris and Gove et al promise to bring all immigration down to the tens thousands, repeatedly in interviews etc during the campaign.
The UK does have control.
1) System for Non EU migrants 50 % of the total who arrive in the UK
2 ) Possesion of a legal EU, EEA passport.

Anyone else is an illegal migrant.

All that will change is that limits will be set on the numbers of EU migrants as the price of a new trade agreement.

UK nett migration will continue to be in the 100,s thousands if the economy stays on course.
When that happens many brexiters will be wondering what it was they voted for.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 3rd 2016 12:52 pm

So now the UK economy may stay on course and not collapse post Brexit after all ? :confused:

Bipat Jul 3rd 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11992386)
You must be in denial or really never did hear Boris and Gove et al promise to bring all immigration down to the tens thousands, repeatedly in interviews etc during the campaign.
The UK does have control.
1) System for Non EU migrants 50 % of the total who arrive in the UK
2 ) Possesion of a legal EU, EEA passport.

Anyone else is an illegal migrant.

All that will change is that limits will be set on the numbers of EU migrants as the price of a new trade agreement.

UK nett migration will continue to be in the 100,s thousands if the economy stays on course.
When that happens many brexiters will be wondering what it was they voted for.

You didn't answer the question about any other country allowing free movement over its borders from neighbouring countries. (The EU is not yet a Federation it consists of separate countries).