British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

paulry Jul 3rd 2016 1:52 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Give her a medal! :thumbsup:

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11992062)
Well we do have a constitution, luckily for us, and that can't be changed just by shouting slogans at the unwary until they believe them.

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/

It remains to be seen how all this plays out.

A great explanation of the issues facing the next government - thanks for posting that.

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11991990)
Juncker admits Europeans have lost faith in the EU – EurActiv.com

"European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker today admitted that citizens had lost faith in the EU, during a speech at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg.

Juncker also said that the Commission had regulated too much and interfered too much in people’s lives in the past.

“The European project has lost parts of its attractiveness,” Juncker said at the Council’s Parliamentary Assembly.

“One of the reasons why EU citizens are stepping away from the European project is due to the fact that we are interfering in too many domains of their private lives and in too many domains where member states are better placed to take action.”

Has the EU Directive on news recycling not been repealed yet? I thought we'd left - what's going on?

EMR Jul 3rd 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11992165)
Has the EU Directive on news recycling not been repealed yet? I thought we'd left - what's going on?

I get the impression that some of our leavers are suffering from withdrawl symptoms.
But for those who live in mainland EU brexit means nothing as their lives ( apart from being poorer financially if they rely on sterling incomes ) will be unchanged.

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11992207)
But for those who live in mainland EU brexit means nothing as their lives ( apart from being poorer financially if they rely on sterling incomes ) will be unchanged.

Well we'll have to wait and see on that front, won't we?

The exchange rate isn't the be-all and end-all of things, you know, to say nothing of the financial effects on a small and struggling economy such as Portugal's.

Fredbargate Jul 3rd 2016 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11992213)
Well we'll have to wait and see on that front, won't we?

The exchange rate isn't the be-all and end-all of things, you know, to say nothing of the financial effects on a small and struggling economy such as Portugal's.

Young people should be glad we are leaving the EU – reader’s letter | Derby Telegraph

It is disappointing that youngsters are depressed with the Leave result. The reason why I voted Leave was purely an economic decision. It is the EU's economy that is in dire straights and should have been debated

The Remain argument claimed the single market consisted of 500 million consumers. What they failed to say was about half of them are impoverished with no disposable income.

mikelincs Jul 3rd 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11992226)
Young people should be glad we are leaving the EU – reader’s letter | Derby Telegraph

It is disappointing that youngsters are depressed with the Leave result. The reason why I voted Leave was purely an economic decision. It is the EU's economy that is in dire straights and should have been debated

The Remain argument claimed the single market consisted of 500 million consumers. What they failed to say was about half of them are impoverished with no disposable income.

Still some 200 million more than the UK has..

GeniB Jul 3rd 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11992074)
Give her a medal! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR68MGknaAI

No! No medal.. Get her a modern T shirt. M&S rather gives away her ideals.

Doesn't it speak volumes that she's the only one there with a leave poster..

GeniB Jul 3rd 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11992226)

Yep the oldies might be worrying about the economics .Thats those figures placed before them by those recently fled MP's .. You know the ones you can trust with your life and your wallet ,to tell you the truth..The young on the other hand have just seen thousands of opportunities lost,doors previously opened,now slammed in their face. Doors like the wonderful Erasmus programme that one of my kids benefited from... Heh ... but why would you want to know about that..

Fredbargate Jul 3rd 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11992237)
Yep the oldies might be worrying about the economics .Thats those figures placed before them by those recently fled MP's .. You know the ones you can trust with your life and your wallet ,to tell you the truth..The young on the other hand have just seen thousands of opportunities lost,doors previously opened,now slammed in their face. Doors like the wonderful Erasmus programme that one of my kids benefited from... Heh ... but why would you want to know about that..

So Europe is going to build a big fortified fence around itself with signs saying NO BRITS

Or will it revert to something similar to the situation that existed 40 years ago when I left the UK. With many Brits working in Europe and many Europeans working in the UK? The time before the UK joined the Common Market.

Yes there will be changes but doom mongering does not help and the cream will still rise to the top.

Red Eric Jul 3rd 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11992245)
Yes there will be changes but doom mongering does not help and the cream will still rise to the top.

The cream?

The elites, maybe. They always do. But this was a protest vote against the elites, no?

The ordinary people who until now had doors open for them will now find them slammed rather firmly shut.

GeniB Jul 3rd 2016 10:05 am

Just read one of my favourite Journalists columns in the FT.. Tyler Brule..world traveller,businessman, etc. He set up the magazine Monocle in London only a couple of yrs ago as he saw it ,along with Tokyo as one the best cities in the world to do business..To say he is in shock is an understatement.
He is Canadian.and so naturally it has reminded him of 1976 when Montreal had just come out of the one of the most successful Olympics. The city was buzzing,alive with International business's .world class restaurants, theatres, galleries. Everything in fact that made a mega city. One of the most important destinations in North America. THEN they held a referendum. They held it because the predominant families of the city were French speakers and they decided in the delirium of all this success that the city ,nay the country should become French,certainly speak French.. and eventually perhaps even align with the EU.
I remember the whole saga very well because one of my best friends has just emigrated with her new husband from Scotland to Montreal two yrs before.To say it was a disaster is the understatement of the century. She was suddenly forced to speak French in her workplace.People literally spat at you or refused to talk to you if you didn't. she told me.There was violence on the street.People 'encouraged' to leave. The Lebanese community being the first to go,closing their succcesful restaurants and moving to Vancouver. and Toronto. They were followed by many other none French speakers.Then big business's started to follow and many moved over the border into the USA.In a matter of 10 yrs Quebec was almost a ghost town and Montreal had lost it's prime place

There are many lesson's to be learned by the above! Not least of which is that pushing your own personal points of view against the good of the whole rarely proves successful.

Taking time out to make sure you have all the facts first,not just those handed out by the usual suspects. Looking to see that the interests of those most important for the countries well being and prosperity are served first. We live by what we make and what we earn. not on our fears . We survive by our codes and our morals .Break them at your peril

GeniB Jul 3rd 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11992245)
So Europe is going to build a big fortified fence around itself with signs saying NO BRITS

Or will it revert to something similar to the situation that existed 40 years ago when I left the UK. With many Brits working in Europe and many Europeans working in the UK? The time before the UK joined the Common Market.

Oh dear Fred Like pandora's box.. once opened it cannot be closed again

You cannot talk about what 'happened in the past' You now have to deal with those more undefinable things Confidence.and trust. The 'big fortified fence' will be in peoples hearts and minds, How they feel about us now. Only time will tell on that one.. As to the 'doors slamming ' that I referred to.. They are real.. If your not in the EU. You won't be eligible for the grants... simples

EMR Jul 3rd 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11992252)

You cannot talk about what 'happened in the past' You now have to deal with those more undefinable things Confidence.and trust. The 'big fortified fence' will be in peoples hearts and minds, How they feel about us now. Only time will tell on that one.. As to the 'doors slamming ' that I referred to.. They are real.. If your not in the EU. You won't be eligible for the grants... simples

The future will be brexit light,the May government will put the jobs and prosperity of the UK and its peoples above brexit dogma.
The final negotiations will necessitate concessions on both sides.
I believe that in 3-5 years time those who voted Remain will be happier than many of those who voted leave.

Fredbargate Jul 3rd 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11992252)