British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Jul 1st 2016 11:55 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11990909)
Agree certainly not a "laughing stock", other countries are realising opportunities.
From local newspapers among the many reports.

EU referendum: Hungary to seek India's help for businesses in the UK after Brexit

Brexit gives India the break to hunt for new opportunities in UK - Times of India

Received e-mail --that Michel Gove gave a brilliant speech.

Not India again, anyone would think that that this thread was not about the UK and the EU.
I would rather have seen Boris say what he wanted to when questioned by reporters about the betrayal by Gove.
Who wants a friend like that for PM, stabbed Cameron in the back and now Boris.

Lion in Winter Jul 1st 2016 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11990761)
That idea of eventually having a second referendum (outlined in the Guardian article above) is quite an interesting one for me, if only for one reason. It's been said so often that if an EU member state holds a referendum and "the EU doesn't like it" you have to do it again. British people might finally learn to stop parroting such nonsense when they get to see precisely how this kind of thing comes about.

You never know - they might start questioning some of the other accepted wisdoms about the EU, too.

Or they could go through that whole process that might take them to a second referendum and carry on with the "Typical EU - they didn't like the result so we had to do it again" line. Hmmmm... which will it be, I wonder?

But we're a long way from that yet. Still waiting for a Leaver to define "out", if I remember rightly.

While we wait for the definition, I wonder if an election will be called after the Tories have sorted out their new leader and before any triggering of article 50. The large majority of the Commons favours remain and a vote of no confidence in tbe government isn't unthinkable - but who would lead the rebellion? And then what?

What a mess.

Vexcore Jul 1st 2016 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by lk14 (Post 11990918)
Any british expats living in europe experiencing hostility post brexit?

Shops run by english people have been attacked.

That's all I've heard.

Lion in Winter Jul 1st 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990941)

That's all I've heard.

Well I've been attacked. To be fair, only on BE though and by a load of immigrants in Spain, Australia, etc. Does that count?

EMR Jul 1st 2016 12:15 pm

That's all I've heard.

By Brits who due to the fall in sterling cannot afford the ridiculous prices.

JACHA Jul 1st 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11990947)
Well I've been attacked. To be fair, only on BE though and by a load of immigrants in Spain, Australia, etc. Does that count?

See this is what happens when immigrants become involved lol. Can't trust em

Red Eric Jul 1st 2016 12:23 pm

That's all I've heard.

That's normal though. It's because foreigners don't like Marmite.

Nothing to do with Brexit.

JACHA Jul 1st 2016 12:31 pm

[QUOTE=Red Eric;11990959]That's normal though. It's because foreigners don't like Marmite
Oh Red the people would be attacked selling Marmite. We have to get foreigners on to Vegemite. It is much better.

Lion in Winter Jul 1st 2016 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11990959)
That's normal though. It's because foreigners don't like Marmite.

Well they should bloody well learn to integrate :frown:

Bipat Jul 1st 2016 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11990927)
Not India again, anyone would think that that this thread was not about the UK and the EU.
I would rather have seen Boris say what he wanted to when questioned by reporters about the betrayal by Gove.

This is an expat Forum, I read the newspapers here.
The links were about Hungary (I think that is a European country????:sarcasm:) going to India to discuss trading with the UK and India trading with the UK post Brexit.

I thought it was the Brexit campaigners who were described as isolationist and xenophobic, you illustrate the fact that it is

actually remainers who can't look further than the Bosphorus.:lol:

(Was attacked verbally by a nephew --for causing a "disaster", but then he has a German business partner!)

GeniB Jul 1st 2016 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990884)
Thoughts on May to be PM?

Here's my take

Mrs May said UK must come out of the ludicrous and dangerous EU human rights. She was positive. Then the grey men made her shelve it. Now the grey men make her promise to keep it. She is beyond WEAK !! Mrs May always said she was against the EU and our membership of it - yet the grey men told her to stand out of the referendum debate and say absolutely nothing, which is what she did. She is beyond WEAK !! Brexit means Brexit she said, which means we leave the EU and all its daft rules and laws and unlimited immigration, keeping only free trade (Possible, because for every 60p we sell EU, they sell us £1) - yet here she is, before the leadership election even starts, telling us she will keep the daft EU human rights and all the costs, dangers, and nonsenses it creates for UK. She is the new John Major, being chosen because of weakness, and because the grey men can force her to do as they wish.

Having someone who 'BACKED REMAIN' as the next 'PM' is stupid and can't be trusted.

She's done nothing more than the rest of that bunch! She's a politician .They ALL jump when the grey men say jump..

GeniB Jul 1st 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11990927)

It was Gove who was Bori's campaign manager. He is said to have got fed up with Boris's off the cuff stuff. Enough was enough (apparently) when Boris published a piece in the papers. Gove's wife (who is also a journalist) printed a furious rejoiner... End of that relationship... Boys will be boys..

Boris was notorious for his double dealings and downright lies from his earlier times at the Telegraph ( Lies from Brussels I believe it was called) He even did the dirty on his then girlfriend whilst still at Oxford. Writing a spurious piece about the death of a fellow student from a Heroine overdose,slandering a journalist and putting his girlfriends name at the bottom... not so nice our Boris :o

calman014 Jul 1st 2016 2:12 pm

It looks more and more like the whole thing was just a scam to rock the boat in Brussels..the only person to have talked any sense so far was Helmut Kohl..talking of "standardisation" and not "integration" of EU states...perhaps Juncker might even benefit from that kind of advice..as blind as he is to common sense..

GeniB Jul 1st 2016 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11990935)
While we wait for the definition, I wonder if an election will be called after the Tories have sorted out their new leader and before any triggering of article 50. The large majority of the Commons favours remain and a vote of no confidence in tbe government isn't unthinkable - but who would lead the rebellion? And then what?

What a mess.

I think constitutionally they have to appoint a new Prime Minister before anything like Article 50 can be signed. So looks like we are in for a long wait.. or a cooling down period whichever we prefer to call it.

Indeed most of the Government were for remain.. something they knew most of the uk didn't?.. i.e. that they haven't a cat in hell's chance of surviving alone.

It would seem that in the EU most resolutions like the referendum do go to a second ballot. Certainly if it's like this one without a very substantial majority. It's not unthinkable that the Government would now say that the inclusion of all ex-pats would be allowed. The only reason they weren't before was.. according to Cameron.. because there wasn't time to arrange it.. a lie.. but ok..
Many countries hold referendum.. I think Switzerland has had hundreds.
As I said before they are not binding in law. They merely indicate the mood of the people.. After this debacle the mood could have radically swung over to remain.
With some half way decent diplomacy.. (pleeeezee will someone remove that waste of space Farage) and a clear result from a second vote we could be half way into next year before any final decision has to be made.Things could change a lot by then

GeniB Jul 1st 2016 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by lk14 (Post 11990918)
Any british expats living in europe experiencing hostility post brexit?

My YD ia an Estate Agent here and says she will personally string the next British person up by their thumbs if they ask her one more time what this' action' by the UK will mean for them buying or selling in Portugal...OR Just stick her tongue out as childishness seems more the order of the day in the UK.right now .:starsmile: