British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Oct 20th 2016 2:18 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12081480)
You keep posting links from Indian papers about the benefits to India following brexit.
Nice as that is my priority is how the UK will benefit a view no doubt shared by those Asian businessmen in the UK , where they earn their profits etc.
What brands do you see ?
Where are they manufactured ?

The Telegraph UK--now do you believe she is coming here?

Can you actually bring yourself to use the words 'INDIAN' origin British business people. What is your problem with that?

Theresa May to visit India in first trade mission since taking office


(I don't really spend my time in shops looking at labels just recognise products I see in UK!)

PS (Wish the coffee chain here CCD would set up in UK! Infinitely better than Costa Coffee etc :lol:)

DaveLovesDee Oct 20th 2016 2:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12081354)
We have never been told just how much the EU subsidise's UK business's. why not?.Does the EU pay for our roads? (as they do in the rest of Europe) We have only recently discovered that they have poured billions into cities like Liverpool and Cardiff (to name only two) Why didn't we know this before the vote? No one seems to be standing up and demanding to know the honest answers to these questions. Instead we bleat about vague EU laws we can't name that are causing us great harm? what laws? How much WE pay into the EU.. not what we get back.

Wales gets around £500 million a year in funding for businesses, infrastructure and other projects. Every year. The north-east and south-west of England also receive large amounts of funding from the EU. Yet all 3 regions were pretty much majority Leave areas.

What has the EU done for us? Plenty, but anytime the positives were mentioned on here, Leavers ignored it, or called it propaganda. Even the BBC was claimed to be biased because the EU gave it an amount equal to 0.03% of the entire BBC annual budget over a 3yr period for research into future transmission systems.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 20th 2016 2:39 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
If I take $100 from you and give you $80 back how much have I given you?

EMR Oct 20th 2016 2:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12081486)
The Telegraph UK--now do you believe she is coming here?

Can you actually bring yourself to use the words 'INDIAN' origin British business people. What is your problem with that?

Theresa May to visit India in first trade mission since taking office


(I don't really spend my time in shops looking at labels just recognise products I see in UK!)

PS (Wish the coffee chain here CCD would set up in UK! Infinitely better than Costa Coffee etc :lol:)

As far as I am concernd they are British businessmen , I have dealt with many in my life and I doubt that they would be pleased to be segregated in the way you do,
So you do not know where British labled products are manufactured, I suggest you check the labels when you are back in the UK.
We were in H&M , and where are their clothes made , not in the UK, some from India.

EMR Oct 20th 2016 2:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12081495)
If I take $100 from you and give you $80 back how much have I given you?

If it is as simple as you say why hasthis government not confirmed that it will continue with the payments received from the EU, the 350million to the NHS etc etc as promised by the Brexit campaign.
Using your logic we will be flush with money.
Do pigs fly around your house.

DaveLovesDee Oct 20th 2016 2:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12081486)
PS (Wish the coffee chain here CCD would set up in UK! Infinitely better than Costa Coffee etc :lol:)

I've drunk Nescafe coffee in 3 different countries, and each has tasted very differently. Much of the taste comes down to the water quality.


Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12081495)
If I take $100 from you and give you $80 back how much have I given you?

$80, with the rest going to help the family down the road who is in poverty.

JamesM Oct 20th 2016 3:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12081042)
I truly cannot think of one single lie or threat from the Leave campaign.

That's alright then.

If Bermudashorts can't think of it then the rest of us are reassured. :thumbsup:

Fredbargate Oct 20th 2016 3:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12081251)
It has to be said Fred that you are at odds with the rest of Gibraltar over all of this aren't you?

Unlike the majority my fellow countrymen I no longer have any financial interests in Spain whilst many of them still own their 2nd and 3rd homes there.


Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12081258)
Actually, it isn't. The evidence is out there if you look for it.

The best option for Gib would be for Spain to honour the agreements.


That's probably the best you can hope for. That's what you should end up with as a default post-Brexit, but even then there's no guarantee the Spanish will not make life more difficult than it needs to be.

That was the agreement under which Spain joined the Common Market and has never honoured ?


Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12081333)
What's the significance of Gibraltar? Genuine question, as we're talking about it.

Is it just old beef with the Spaniards and something we won't ever relinquish or is it more than that?

The Treaty of Utecht particularly article 10

Gibraltar was captured in 1704 by a force led by Admiral Sir George Rooke representing the Grand Alliance on behalf of the Archduke Charles, pretender to the Spanish Throne. After the battle, almost all the original inhabitants decided to leave to the surrounding areas of Campo de Gibraltar.[8] The territory was eventually ceded to the Kingdom of Great Britain by Spain in the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht as part of the settlement of the War of the Spanish Succession. In that treaty, Spain ceded to Great Britain "the full and entire propriety of the town and castle of Gibraltar, together with the port, fortifications, and forts thereunto belonging ... for ever, without any exception or impediment whatsoever."

Further more there is a paragraph that states that should Britain no longer want Gibraltar Spain gets the first chance to take it over, It is that paragraph that Spain keeps banging on about 300+ years on.

However Gibraltarians are happy to be British but would prefer independence which Spain objects to citing the previous paragraph and ignoring democracy and the will of the people.

Also it would be amusing to look at the treaty under modern law because this is what Spain bases her arguments on. I think certain parts would raise eyebrows:-

And Her Britannic Majesty, at the request of the Catholic King, does consent and agree, that no leave shall be given under any pretence whatsoever, either to Jews or Moors, to reside or have their dwellings in the said town of Gibraltar; and that no refuge or shelter shall be allowed to any Moorish ships of war in the harbour of the said town, whereby the communication between Spain and Ceuta may be obstructed, or the coasts of Spain be infested by the excursions of the Moors.

EMR Oct 20th 2016 3:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
If Gibraltar were independent you would still be in the EU.

DaveLovesDee Oct 20th 2016 3:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12081527)
That was the agreement under which Spain joined the Common Market and has never honoured ?

And I think you'll agree that Spain will be as obstructive even after they can legally impose border controls post-Brexit.


The Treaty of Utecht particularly article 10

Gibraltar was captured in 1704 by a force led by Admiral Sir George Rooke representing the Grand Alliance on behalf of the Archduke Charles, pretender to the Spanish Throne. After the battle, almost all the original inhabitants decided to leave to the surrounding areas of Campo de Gibraltar.[8] The territory was eventually ceded to the Kingdom of Great Britain by Spain in the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht as part of the settlement of the War of the Spanish Succession. In that treaty, Spain ceded to Great Britain "the full and entire propriety of the town and castle of Gibraltar, together with the port, fortifications, and forts thereunto belonging ... for ever, without any exception or impediment whatsoever."

Further more there is a paragraph that states that should Britain no longer want Gibraltar Spain gets the first chance to take it over, It is that paragraph that Spain keeps banging on about 300+ years on.

However Gibraltarians are happy to be British but would prefer independence which Spain objects to citing the previous paragraph and ignoring democracy and the will of the people.

Also it would be amusing to look at the treaty under modern law because this is what Spain bases her arguments on. I think certain parts would raise eyebrows:-

And Her Britannic Majesty, at the request of the Catholic King, does consent and agree, that no leave shall be given under any pretence whatsoever, either to Jews or Moors, to reside or have their dwellings in the said town of Gibraltar; and that no refuge or shelter shall be allowed to any Moorish ships of war in the harbour of the said town, whereby the communication between Spain and Ceuta may be obstructed, or the coasts of Spain be infested by the excursions of the Moors.
Very informative Fred. Thank you very much for posting it.

Bipat Oct 20th 2016 5:25 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12081510)
I've drunk Nescafe coffee in 3 different countries, and each has tasted very differently. Much of the taste comes down to the water quality.

The owner of the CCD chain has his own coffee plantation, it is all freshly ground coffee that is served.

Bipat Oct 20th 2016 5:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12081500)
As far as I am concernd they are British businessmen , I have dealt with many in my life and I doubt that they would be pleased to be segregated in the way you do,
So you do not know where British labled products are manufactured, I suggest you check the labels when you are back in the UK.
We were in H&M , and where are their clothes made , not in the UK, some from India.

Do you read any of the links or ignore them because they concern a non-EU country.
It is not segregation they obviously have a particular knowledge and interest in their country of origin. Family relationships etc. So therefore interested in trade there.
I presume expats/migrants on BE here claim a particular knowledge of the UK, don't they? You seem to?

EMR Oct 20th 2016 5:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12081679)
Do you read any of the links or ignore them because they concern a non-EU country.
It is not segregation they obviously have a particular knowledge and interest in their country of origin. Family relationships etc. So therefore interested in trade there.
I presume expats/migrants on BE here claim a particular knowledge of the UK, don't they? You seem to?

You still despite numerous efforts to explain fail to understand, my priority is what benefits the UK, increases UK employment, the wealth and prospects for the population of the UK.
My priority is not what benefits anyone else we trade with.
Business is simply about being the one who succeeds over the competition.
If British businessmen of what ever origin benefit from a trade deal whoever it is with,6 thats fine by me.
If all that happens is we end up importimg more ,sacrificing UK jobs then that is not a good deal for the UK.

sir_eccles Oct 20th 2016 5:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12081495)
If I take $100 from you and give you $80 back how much have I given you?

But the bus said we'd get that missing 20 quid too, where is it?

mrken30 Oct 20th 2016 7:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12081695)
But the bus said we'd get that missing 20 quid too, where is it?

that went to pay for the raise in petrol prices


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.