British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 1:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080351)
Okay, so are you saying that there is no rise of right wing support among the young in the EU?

Nope - I said (perfectly clearly, I thought) that the article to which you posted a link presented no such evidence. I expressed surprise at you for posting something so unconvincing. However, if you have difficulty understanding that then perhaps I misjudged you and you do actually think that posting links to such material is worthwhile. I'll just return to refraining from reading them in future though - thanks for reminding me I'm missing nothing.

EMR Oct 19th 2016 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12080549)
With so many lawyers on here today, can someone tell me something that makes sense? Re all of these obstructing court cases, when we leave the EU, because that is what we want, how will we leave it? By my definition, leaving a place or organisation means just that: leaving. With Mandelson, Miliband and Clegg and the rest of the political losers running this obstructive show, what exactly do they, and you, want to come out of Brexit, and will it mean leaving the EU or just part leaving the EU? How can we leave and not leave? What do they and you want with Brexit because they and you have not said? There is no plan. Or is there? Tell us. What is the Brexit but not quite Brexit plan?

I saw reports today on Huffington post that it was a government lawyer who confirmed that that the 2010 UK Governance act would now apply.
This means that the Royal Perogative could not be applied and that a Parliamentary debate and vote would.
The debate will be on the terms of leaving NOT on the vote.
What is upsetting our brexiters , the thought that a factual debate could actually take place.

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12080448)
I can't see it happening but in the highly unlikely event of the Brexit and/or the process of Democracy being denied by Parliament then I have no doubt that UKIP would field a candidate in every constituency at the next GE & I'd expect the to either take power or become the official opposition.

In either case the Lab/Cons would take a very hard knock & a shedload of MPs would lose their jobs.

As with most things, time will tell.

Did you read the link I posted earlier today to the interview Business Insider conducted with Gina Miller (the bringer of the action against the government over the triggering of Article 50 without parliamentary consent)?

If not, it's here Business Insider interviews Gina Miller: Brexit legal case, Article 50 - Business Insider

Worth a read, in my opinion, to dispel some of those myths you and others keep repeating ad nauseam about the intentions of those who are not in agreement with May & Co over this. It's very simple - 1) nobody is trying to overturn the result of the referendum 2) It isn't only remainers who are asking these simple questions.

Can it possibly get any clearer than that?

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12080517)
But hey, they can always exercise their democratic right to petition their elected representatives (after Brexit is complete) for a rejoin referendum if they so wish. :sneaky:

Are you sure about that?

Wasn't some Breaker trying to get talking about the EU in favourable terms made an act of treason sometime recently?

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12080549)
With so many lawyers on here today, can someone tell me something that makes sense? Re all of these obstructing court cases, when we leave the EU, because that is what we want, how will we leave it? By my definition, leaving a place or organisation means just that: leaving. With Mandelson, Miliband and Clegg and the rest of the political losers running this obstructive show, what exactly do they, and you, want to come out of Brexit, and will it mean leaving the EU or just part leaving the EU? How can we leave and not leave? What do they and you want with Brexit because they and you have not said? There is no plan. Or is there? Tell us. What is the Brexit but not quite Brexit plan?

Did you read the link I posted earlier today to the interview Business Insider conducted with Gina Miller (the bringer of the action against the government over the triggering of Article 50 without parliamentary consent)?

If not, it's here Business Insider interviews Gina Miller: Brexit legal case, Article 50 - Business Insider

Worth a read, in my opinion, to dispel some of those myths you and others keep repeating ad nauseam about the intentions of those who are not in agreement with May & Co over this. It's very simple - 1) nobody is trying to overturn the result of the referendum 2) It isn't only remainers who are asking these simple questions.

EMR Oct 19th 2016 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080566)
Are you sure about that?

Wasn't some Breaker trying to get talking about the EU in favourable terms made an act of treason sometime recently?

He was ejected from his local Tory party, probably joined UKip, they are desperate for any new members.

EMR Oct 19th 2016 2:11 pm

It appears that sterling is reacting positively to the latest statements from May that the UK will be seeking a positive agreement re trade with the EU and that Parliament will be involved.
She also admitted that the brexit vote was about immigration, not sovereignty, or over regulation but immigration.

JamesM Oct 19th 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12080472)
Remainer stubs toe due to Brexit

A supporter of the Remain campaign has laid the blame for stubbing his toe squarely at the feet of Brexit.

Saw this and thought of you: :thumbsup:
Daily Express reader’s world crumbles after wrong paper delivered

Fredbargate Oct 19th 2016 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12080448)
I can't see it happening but in the highly unlikely event of the Brexit and/or the process of Democracy being denied by Parliament then I have no doubt that UKIP would field a candidate in every constituency at the next GE & I'd expect the to either take power or become the official opposition.

In either case the Lab/Cons would take a very hard knock & a shedload of MPs would lose their jobs.

As with most things, time will tell.

It will certainly see the end of the Party that fought the last election with the promise of a referendum and also implemented it.

la mancha Oct 19th 2016 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12080560)
I saw reports today on Huffington post that it was a government lawyer who confirmed that that the 2010 UK Governance act would now apply.
This means that the Royal Perogative could not be applied and that a Parliamentary debate and vote would.
The debate will be on the terms of leaving NOT on the vote.
What is upsetting our brexiters , the thought that a factual debate could actually take place.

Yes, and what are those terms? What terms will be agreeable to you? What is the plan?

We are not upset. I am only trying to get my head around the meaning of democracy, you know, when the people speak and the power lies with the people being governed, acknowledging the decision of the majority and all that.

And we had a debate. It lasted months or have you forgotten?

la mancha Oct 19th 2016 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080568)

I did read the link, especially the paragraph where she says, ‘I know it was the venting of anger and peoples' dissatisfaction with the political environment, but that's not what I'm concerned about.'

A classic example of the elite shitting on ordinary people again.

Back to my question, which this link has nothing to do with, so can I put it another way? What if this goes through and Parliament votes down triggering Article 50? What is the plan then?

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12080591)

That's a hoot! Funny!

jimenato Oct 19th 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12080698)
That's a hoot! Funny!

Indeed - excellent.

This analysis of the situation will bring you back down to Earth.

DaveLovesDee Oct 19th 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080566)
Are you sure about that?

I think he was hoping we'd forgot that. so we'd be locked up and unable to voice our concerns.

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12080693)
And we had a debate. It lasted months or have you forgotten?

I thought Leavers claimed it was lies and fearmongering. There was definitely no real debate.

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12080697)
Back to my question, which this link has nothing to do with, so can I put it another way? What if this goes through and Parliament votes down triggering Article 50? What is the plan then?

Then I suspect those MP's elected in majority Leave areas who voted against triggering Article 50 will find themselves deselected or losing their seats in the following election.

sir_eccles Oct 19th 2016 5:02 pm