British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 9:37 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080370)
The single market is what comes with membership of the EU. Leave the EU and you leave the single market as well. In case you don't realise it, there is more than one market - there are markets in every country of the world the and they're all eager to trade - including the so called "single" market :thumbsup:

At least you can be proud.

So OK, pull the trigger then. Just tell those wonky foreigner Europeans to fark off and walk away. What's the problem?

GeniB Oct 19th 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12080363)
I understand that they are planting banana and orange plantations all over the north of the UK.. :rofl:

Yes but the guidelines on making bananas square.. which came from Boris's newspaper article in the Telegraph is confounding many of them.The oranges are sulking

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 9:53 am

Anyway, this just in.

A rather fascinating analysis of the legal view.

(Warning to Brexiters: Uses big words and explores complex ideas. Probably not for you).

Legal Case for Brexit Is Surprisingly European - Bloomberg

It follows that the courts will probably feel the need to treat the voice of the people as sufficiently weighty to allow Brexit without a parliamentary vote. Through their judgment, the British constitution will evolve toward greater direct democracy. Through leaving the EU, British constitutional law will become more European.

paulry Oct 19th 2016 10:22 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12080374)
At least you can be proud.

So OK, pull the trigger then. Just tell those wonky foreigner Europeans to fark off and walk away. What's the problem?

What on earth are you on about :confused:

DaveLovesDee Oct 19th 2016 10:23 am

Ah yes, a think-tank.

Here's another - A free market think tank has called for corporation tax to be scrapped as part of reforms to "reboot" Britain

A controversial free-market think tank says that Britain must slash corporation tax to zero, scrap farmers' subsidies and encourage immigration if the UK is to make a success of leaving the European Union.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12080259)
It will depend what pills you take! However even the threat of more generics may encourage the big drug companies to reduce their extortionate prices, one of the main costs of the NHS!

As one of the primary responsibilities of a company's management is to maximise the dividends to it's shareholders.

It's unlikely to do so by cutting prices long-term.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12080345)
The people that want this to go to parliament want it to do so for one reason only and that is to stop it. And there are very much people that want to over rule the referendum.

I voted Remain, the majority voted Leave, so that's what I expect will happen.

Not to help interpret it.

Because it isn't hard to interpret (hard to do of course). There is no hard or soft Brexit. There is just Brexit, we are leaving the EU. That is what we voted for.
What the majority voted for was Brexit. The question was framed simply as a yes or no-type answer.

What Parliament should be able to do is to debate on which form of Brexit is the least damaging/most beneficial to the UK. That's taking back control, not giving the decision to one person. Wasn't one of the arguments for leaving that the EU takes power away from Parliament?

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080370)
In case you don't realise it, there is more than one market - there are markets in every country of the world the and they're all eager to trade - including the so called "single" market :thumbsup:

And if that's the best course for the UK, then Parliament should agree with you.

paulry Oct 19th 2016 10:24 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12080385)
Anyway, this just in.

A rather fascinating analysis of the legal view.

(Warning to Brexiters: Uses big words and explores complex ideas. Probably not for you).

Legal Case for Brexit Is Surprisingly European - Bloomberg

Except being more European is not to be confused with being in the EU.

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 10:25 am

You keep reverting back to the vote, the fact that leave won, and posting photos of the ballot.

OK, you won. We know that. So why hasn't Britain left yet? There's absolutely no reason Britain couldn't just send off article 50, and then simply say "we don't want anything, we're out. Bye!". That's what you seem to believe you voted for.

So, what's the holdup?

paulry Oct 19th 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12080406)
You keep reverting back to the vote, the fact that leave won, and posting photos of the ballot.

OK, you won. We know that. So why hasn't Britain left yet? There's absolutely no reason Britain couldn't just send off article 50, and then simply say "we don't want anything, we're out. Bye!". That's what you seem to believe you voted for.

So, what's the holdup?

Actually I keep posting photos of the ballot to remind you what people voted for - since several remainiacs here keep getting it muddled up.

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 10:29 am

So, what's keeping Britain from leaving? The EU has been asking Britain to hurry it up. Nobody seems to know what's going on.

What's the holdup. The people voted. Brexit means Brexit.

??

DaveLovesDee Oct 19th 2016 10:34 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080407)
Actually I keep posting photos of the ballot to remind you what people voted for

I thought it was to avoid talking about what that vote is doing to the UK.

Bermudashorts Oct 19th 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12080402)

What the majority voted for was Brexit. The question was framed simply as a yes or no-type answer.

What Parliament should be able to do is to debate on which form of Brexit is the least damaging/most beneficial to the UK. That's taking back control, not giving the decision to one person. Wasn't one of the arguments for leaving that the EU takes power away from Parliament?

And if that's the best course for the UK, then Parliament should agree with you.

It is a yes and no matter. Hence the yes or no question.

It is very well known that most MPs are Remainers and the only reason they want this to go to Parliament is that they can spend the rest of their political careers arguing about it simply to stop it going ahead. The people have spoken, the government needs to be able to get on with what the people have asked them to do.

paulry Oct 19th 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12080408)
So, what's keeping Britain from leaving? The EU has been asking Britain to hurry it up. Nobody seems to know what's going on.

What's the holdup. The people voted. Brexit means Brexit.

??

While I would love for the government to trigger article 50 right away, the apparatus to manage the process needs to be set up and fully prepared first. The gung ho approach that you are advocating is characteristic of your kind of mindset: "I want it and I want it now!". Calm down, willya! :rolleyes:

Vexcore Oct 19th 2016 10:48 am

What's this BS RUMOR about a new vote will be soon about 'staying in the single market' or 'leaving the single market'

They can FK right off, if they do that.

EMR Oct 19th 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080418)
While I would love for the government to trigger article 50 right away, the apparatus to manage the process needs to be set up and fully prepared first. The gung ho approach that you are advocating is characteristic of your kind of mindset: "I want it and I want it now!". Calm down, willya! :rolleyes:

At least you are confirming that brexit has yet to happen and that all the links and posts from your fellow brexiters suggesting that any positive economic news is due to brexit are just nonesense.
Welcome to the side of logic and sanity.

Scamp Oct 19th 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080343)
No it's not. It's a referendum which usually is a binary choice. Referendums aren't essay contests.

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080407)
Actually I keep posting photos of the ballot to remind you what people voted for - since several remainiacs here keep getting it muddled up.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12080414)
I thought it was to avoid talking about what that vote is doing to the UK.

Correct DLD.

The constant reminder that 'I just voted to leave the EU because that was one of the two options' is not exactly comforting. Whilst I know you have no desire to comfort any 'Remoaner' (or whatever other witty name you have this week), the complete lack of any reasoning behind a vote is mind-blowing.

Yet people get shouted down for pointing out that we haven't even left yet and things are looking negative. But that's fine because we were all asked a very simple question and whatever happens happens. Yeah. Great.