British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Oct 19th 2016 7:10 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12080269)
News reports today are suggesting that the final brexit decision will be debated and voted on in Parliament.

Just as they did regarding the invasion of Iraq! Was that democratic? I was in London the day of the march and public signing.
Will Parliament ignore the will of the public regarding an important single issue again? I would hope not.

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12080274)
Just as they did regarding the invasion of Iraq! Was that democratic? I was in London the day of the march and public signing.
Will Parliament ignore the will of the public regarding an important single issue again? I would hope not.

In other words you are satisfied that whatever the outcome of the negotiations, it will be in keeping with the referendum result and you'd be happy to have that implemented without a vote in Parliament either before the triggering of Article 50 or at the end of the negotiation period? You're happy to concentrate all of that power as to what the referendum meant and how to interpret and implement the result into the hands of Theresa Mayl, Boris Johnson, David Davies and Liam Fox? Why? Because what you've heard from them so far is what you think Brexit should be? Despite all the dire warnings coming from every quarter?

TGA Oct 19th 2016 7:21 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12080262)
Simple economics 101 would be a good place for them to start.

That argument has been flogged to death and I as I recall you lost that too.

jimenato Oct 19th 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080284)
In other words you are satisfied that whatever the outcome of the negotiations, it will be in keeping with the referendum result and you'd be happy to have that implemented without a vote in Parliament either before the triggering of Article 50 or at the end of the negotiation period? You're happy to concentrate all of that power as to what the referendum meant and how to interpret and implement the result into the hands of Theresa Mayl, Boris Johnson, David Davies and Liam Fox? Why? Because what you've heard from them so far is what you think Brexit should be? Despite all the dire warnings coming from every quarter?

Breckers have to believe that their own personal version of Brexit will be implemented and they will say that it has even if it hasn't. They don't want parliament nor the electorate to have a say for fear of the consequences.

They WILL be happy with the outcome. Whatever.

Bermudashorts Oct 19th 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12080298)
Breckers have to believe that their own personal version of Brexit will be implemented and they will say that it has even if it hasn't. They don't want parliament nor the electorate to have a say for fear of the consequences.

What are you on about, the electorate had their say on 23rd June.

And no I do not think that after 33million have voted, that 650 people get to over rule what the majority voted for. MPs are there to represent the people, not dictate what is best for us.

Bipat Oct 19th 2016 8:10 am

I think Parliamentarians had plenty to say during the 'run up' to the referendum. The electorate had the chance to vote!!

In answer to you and others, a change in the status quo will always lead to temporary uncertainty. Negotiations with the EU and other potential trade partners have hardly started. I doubt anyone will agree that the final outcome is 'exactly' what they wanted. I doubt any elected government is exactly what the public voted for.

Have some patience and the overall benefits of Brexit for future generations I believe will become apparent. If I and the rest of the majority are wrong Parliament will discuss the situation then.

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12080303)
What are you on about, the electorate had their say on 23rd June.

And no I do not think that after 33million have voted, that 650 people get to over rule what the majority voted for. MPs are there to represent the people, not dictate what is best for us.

Nobody's talking about overruling anything. There is concern about whether a handful of people should be entrusted with interpreting and implementing what Brexit means without reference to Parliament.

That is all.

It's what happens with every other political process or change of law, referendum or no referendum.

paulry Oct 19th 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080248)
You can't be serious can you?

There isn't a single shred of evidence in that article to support the claim made in the headline. A couple of supposed quotes from one or two randomly-chosen extremists.

Do you honestly believe that justifies the headline or stands up to any kind of scrutiny?

No more, no less evidence than any of the other articles posted by anyone else in this forum. Seems like you're protesting too much at this one. :nod:

EMR Oct 19th 2016 8:30 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12080285)
That argument has been flogged to death and I as I recall you lost that too.

I assume that you got an F in economics.

EMR Oct 19th 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080316)
No more, no less evidence than any of the other articles posted by anyone else in this forum. Seems like you're protesting too much at this one. :nod:

If you can find a reputable, widely respected source, then post it.

paulry Oct 19th 2016 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12080308)
Nobody's talking about overruling anything. There is concern about whether a handful of people should be entrusted with interpreting and implementing what Brexit means without reference to Parliament.

That is all.

It's what happens with every other political process or change of law, referendum or no referendum.

For crying out loud! :banghead: When are you going to understand what brexit means? :rolleyes:

http://news.images.itv.com/image/fil...stream_img.jpg

Scamp Oct 19th 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080327)
For crying out loud! :banghead: When are you going to understand what brexit means? :rolleyes:

http://news.images.itv.com/image/fil...stream_img.jpg

If only there was enough space to fill those boxes with actual information.

Simplifying it to this extent and saying leave or stay with no further thought is an embarrassing way to vote.

GeniB Oct 19th 2016 8:44 am

Breckers have to believe that their own personal version of Brexit will be implemented and they will say that it

has even if it hasn't. They don't want parliament nor the electorate to have a say for fear of the consequences.

I think your right there Jimento..

It's a strange phenomenon that Brexiters got an unexpected result.. for them therefore that's where democracy begins and ends. Despite the obvious lies and deceits ,defections by their leaders.etc That slim margin is it. It's almost like they would far rather the UK sank without trace than discuss the strong possibility that the whole case needs to be re-examined in light of the above and discussed again.. rationally... by our democratically elected parliament.

amideislas Oct 19th 2016 8:44 am

The way people's consciousness has declined in the past few years is alarming.

So many are so willing to ignore reality in favour of made-up alternate reality.

And with brexit and trump rationalising (and even glorifying) living in an alternate reality, it sure seems to be getting worse. Exponentially.

Red Eric Oct 19th 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12080316)

I've always assumed that you read and post links to the Express for amusement and provocation, rather than because you believe anything that's published in it. Have I got you wrong?