British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:54 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Yet another Remain fearmongering fallacy laid to rest. :cool:

HSBC to keep headquarters in London despite Brexit | Business News | News | The Independent

Wintersong Jun 30th 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11990313)

Do you believe that everyone that voted Remain is of flawless character then? I am afraid there are undesirable people in this world and both Leavers and Remainers will have some people with personality flaws voting for them. As such, not sure what point you are trying to make.

Please don't extrapolate meaning from my posts which is not present or even referenced. I have made zero claims about the character of remain voters so I have no idea why you would even bring that up other than as a straw man. If you re-read the comments, my point should be clear. When people mention xenophobia, racism and bigotry they are not for one minute suggesting that everyone who voted leave is to be tarred with the same brush and it shouldn't be inferred that they are.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11990313)
Well I think that a lot of people bought the Remainers Project Fear campaign, you certainly seem to have. I am a paid up member of the Conservative party and so receive regular emails from David C as well as following him on Facebook. Every single day there has been more doom and gloom. The stock market will crash, nobody will trade with us, we will be subjected to terrorist attacks, prices will go up, global warming will be accelerated, environmental damage will occur. I could go on.

Not once did I see anything about how being in the EU benefits me, only prophecies of doom that should befall if we leave.

On the other hand the Leave campaign was pretty simple. If you leave, unelected and unaccountable people in Brussels will not over rule your elected parliament. End of for me as I believe in democracy and accountability, I don't need anything more.

Do you believe that everyone that voted Remain is of flawless character then? I am afraid there are undesirable people in this world and both Leavers and Remainers will have some people with personality flaws voting for them. As such, not sure what point you are trying to make.

You still think I'm a "remainer"? I'm not. Britain doesn't belong in the club. Wrong DNA. Full stop.

But this is much too hasty, and is going to cost us dearly.

My biggest disappointment is that it was conducted not on a basis of actual tangible reasons, but on a campaign of mass hysteria that had little to do with what it should have been. Plus a healthy dose of dogmatism, arrogance and hypocrisy. I need not mention xenophobia.

Had we not felt the need to leave in such haste (and without the unnecessary vitriol) we would have led the build of an astronomically good trading partner (5 times our size) whilst leaving with support of all, a comprehensive free trade agreement, and without removing several trillion off the global market for fear of a breakup of the world's largest economy.

Patience is a virtue. So is wisdom. This referendum contained neither of these.

Wintersong Jun 30th 2016 7:41 pm

Hopefully, whichever side of the debate you're on, you can find this funny

Watch the Downfall parody to end all Downfall parodies as the Brexit result hits Boris Johnson HQ

Vexcore Jun 30th 2016 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990317)

HSBC to keep headquarters in London despite Brexit | Business News | News | The Independent

Course, they couldn't afford to UP AND LEAVE.

Might cost them more to stay in UK, but they wont bolt.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990415)
Course, they couldn't afford to UP AND LEAVE.

Might cost them more to stay in UK, but they wont bolt.

Especially considering it's looking more and more likely that a "brexit" will be in name only.

Vexcore Jun 30th 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990427)
Especially considering it's looking more and more likely that a "brexit" will be in name only.

Hope not, we'll be the laughing stock of the world...

UK voted to LEAVE... and didn't LEAVE? lol wut

:lol:

Cameron stepping down is a sure sign we'll be leaving... no?

it's all a mess.

EMR Jun 30th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11990060)
Grovel now, is it? And you wonder why the Remain camp lost? Give it up, just give it up.

Farage has got what he wanted: Britain out of the EU. He can give up the UKIP leadership with his head held higher than a mountain and a place in history. He came out on top.

What leader ever held office all through their lives? I hope when he retires from the UKIP leadership he goes on to make a lot of money in the private sector.

Why not he has made millions pretending to represent the interests of the UK in the EP.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990450)

it's all a mess.

Well, Britain has already lost credibility. But that's what we voted for, so no big deaL

Leaving? That's arguable. Never was a good idea, but the new prospective leadership is now coming to grips with that reality.

As I posted in another thread, it's like filing a lawsuit against your neighbour for being an "arsehole", then your lawyer advises you to settle because the evidence is flimsy.

Yes it is a mess, but water finds level eventually. Good entertainment value at least.

EMR Jun 30th 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990317)

Who said it was moving, hsbc decided to stay in the UK months ago long before the referendum.
You really do have a problem with facts Dick.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990450)

it's all a mess.

Yes we are leaving.

The shoe is now very firmly on the other foot, from the position we were stuck in just over a week ago.

We can now do everything in our own time as it suits us.
We can also call the shots as they need us more than we need them.

Anybody noticed how all the threats against us of just over a week ago have now turned into very conciliatory terms ? :cool:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11990469)
Who said it was moving, hsbc decided to stay in the UK months ago long before the referendum.
You really do have a problem with facts Dick.

....or maybe you have a problem with your memory EMR,

Your very own post from only a few days ago.....:rofl:

"Report that HSBC is moving jobs from london to Paris, expect more in th financial sector to follow.9"

:rofl:

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990470)
Anybody noticed how all the threats against us of just over a week ago have now turned into very conciliatory terms ? :cool:

Well, unlike say, Farage, they refuse to play the "revenge" card. The hangover is almost over, and reality is setting in. So, why not be wise and wait until it pans out before playing the face cards? It could end up being a doddle.

After all, Britain obviously wasn't "wise" in how it was conducted, and sold voters a red herring, and that never goes well.

I reckon they're just going to wait and see what transpires now.

SultanOfSwing Jun 30th 2016 9:20 pm

Parliament is sovereign. This was an advisory referendum, but the decision will be up to parliament in the end.

Neither side should be counting their chickens just yet. We could be in the middle of another US election cycle before this whole thing is done with.

Red Eric Jun 30th 2016 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990470)
Yes we are leaving.

The shoe is now very firmly on the other foot, from the position we were stuck in just over a week ago.

Come on then, define "leaving". Should be fairly straightforward for a man of your convictions.

Speak up, before your heroes mucky the pitch. Your ideas, not Breitbart's, please. I'll be checking.