British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 4:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990199)
Strange as it may seem to you, most people were already well aware that Cameron would have no choice but to resign if he lost the Brexit vote.
As I understand it the normal re selection process is already underway,five contenders having put forward their names before the deadline.
Whatever happens with Libs and Labs is of little significance until such time as an election is due, but their present state of disaray is par for the course at almost anytime you care to choose.

To get back to the EU, it's only a few weeks ago that an extreme right candidate came within a whisker of becoming President of Austria, result of adverse reaction to EU policies gone sadly wrong and heading down the wrong road.

I could also point to the rise of an extreme right party in Germany,once again due to failed EU policies presenting them with a credible platform on a plate.

I suggest you check up in your history book to see the last time something similar occurred in Europe and precisely what resulted.

Glasshouses and stones come to mind. :cool:

The British extreme right just won a referendum, AND will be taking over government in a rather "unelected" fashion.

I hadn't yet heard that about Germany or France or anywhere else, but then, I don't read the express.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990227)
The British extreme right just won a referendum, AND will be taking over government in a rather "unelected" fashion.

I hadn't yet heard that about Germany or France or anywhere else, but then, I don't read the express.

What utter hysterical nonsense.

I know many folk who wanted out of the EU for a variety of genuine reasons and they are no more extreme right than the man in the moon.

You need to give your head a good shake and get real. :nod:

Bermudashorts Jun 30th 2016 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990227)

You think that 17 million people of voting age in the UK are extreme right. Ok. :unsure:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:11 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-left-islamist

Political extremism rose sharply in Germany last year – among far-right but also far-left and Islamist radical groups – the domestic intelligence agency has said.

“Extremist groups, whatever their orientation, are gaining ground in Germany,” said the interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere, presenting the report into 2015. The security agency had “observed not just a rise in membership but also an increase in violence and brutality,” he said in a statement.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 5:17 pm

The entire tin was sold by the extreme right. The people bought it. That doesn't make them all extreme right. Gullible, maybe, but I seriously doubt they're of the very same mind of Gove & Co.

In fact, there now seems to be growing dissent from even those who voted leave. You know, for being duped, or for not leaving, or not kicking out foreigners or whatever they're pissed about now. And I don't blame them. Everything is so uncertain.

Political turmoil. I believe I said that a few times earlier on...

Wintersong Jun 30th 2016 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11990272)
You think that 17 million people of voting age in the UK are extreme right. Ok. :unsure:

No. This has been done to death already and needs to be dropped. No-one is saying that everyone who voted out is extreme right, or racist, or bigoted, or xenophobic or anything else. But there's no denying that a proportion of those who voted out are.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990275)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-left-islamist

Political extremism rose sharply in Germany last year – among far-right but also far-left and Islamist radical groups – the domestic intelligence agency has said.

“Extremist groups, whatever their orientation, are gaining ground in Germany,” said the interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere, presenting the report into 2015. The security agency had “observed not just a rise in membership but also an increase in violence and brutality,” he said in a statement.

Well, they haven't staged a coup d'etat yet. And that's pretty unlikely.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:22 pm

Dear oh dear, we are having a hissy fit today, or is it that cheap Majorcan plonk.

I suggest you straighten your head out a little before you embarrass yourself any further. :cool:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:26 pm

From previous link.........

"In 2015, 1,408 acts of far-right violence were recorded, against 990 the previous year, said the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.

The sharp rise in racist hate crimes came as Germany took in a record number of more than 1 million refugees and migrants asking for political asylum, and as jihadi attacks in Paris and Brussels stoked terrorism fears in Europe."

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 5:31 pm

1408? My goodness.

Well, obviously, it is a rather hysterical world. Just look at the hysteria in Britain. But we voted for that, so I suppose it's just being "democratic".

After Brexit Vote, U.K. Sees A Wave Of Hate Crimes And Racist Abuse : Parallels : NPR

‘Brexit’ Sparks Political Turmoil Across U.K.

Britain’s two main political parties in turmoil over E.U. fallout

la mancha Jun 30th 2016 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990298)
1408? My goodness.

Well, obviously, it is a rather hysterical world. Just look at the hysteria in Britain. But we voted for that, so I suppose it's just being "democratic".

After Brexit Vote, U.K. Sees A Wave Of Hate Crimes And Racist Abuse : Parallels : NPR

We?

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11990299)
We?

Depends on who you talk to. Some will tell you half the population did, others will imply it was a flat-out landslide and anybody that disagrees is a traitor.

The data suggests it was the former though.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990289)
Dear oh dear, we are having a hissy fit today, or is it that cheap Majorcan plonk.

I suggest you straighten your head out a little before you embarrass yourself any further. :cool:

I haven't raised my voice nor called anyone any silly names, or engaged in any ad hominem attacks. What's your excuse?

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 5:47 pm

This is the main reason that Leave won the Referendum.........

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening.
This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation.”

Jean Monnet, founding father.EU

Fortunately for the UK, the cat got out the bag. :cool:

Bermudashorts Jun 30th 2016 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990279)
The entire tin was sold by the extreme right. The people bought it. That doesn't make them all extreme right. Gullible, maybe, but I seriously doubt they're of the very same mind of Gove & Co.

In fact, there now seems to be growing dissent from even those who voted leave. You know, for being duped, or for not leaving, or not kicking out foreigners or whatever they're pissed about now. And I don't blame them. Everything is so uncertain.

Political turmoil. I believe I said that a few times earlier on...

Well I think that a lot of people bought the Remainers Project Fear campaign, you certainly seem to have. I am a paid up member of the Conservative party and so receive regular emails from David C as well as following him on Facebook. Every single day there has been more doom and gloom. The stock market will crash, nobody will trade with us, we will be subjected to terrorist attacks, prices will go up, global warming will be accelerated, environmental damage will occur. I could go on.

Not once did I see anything about how being in the EU benefits me, only prophecies of doom that should befall if we leave.

On the other hand the Leave campaign was pretty simple. If you leave, unelected and unaccountable people in Brussels will not over rule your elected parliament. End of for me as I believe in democracy and accountability, I don't need anything more.

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11990281)
No. This has been done to death already and needs to be dropped. No-one is saying that everyone who voted out is extreme right, or racist, or bigoted, or xenophobic or anything else. But there's no denying that a proportion of those who voted out are.

Do you believe that everyone that voted Remain is of flawless character then? I am afraid there are undesirable people in this world and both Leavers and Remainers will have some people with personality flaws voting for them. As such, not sure what point you are trying to make.