British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 12:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11989961)
Well, demonstrably, the most "unrest and disharmony" so far has been exhibited by the one member state that enjoys the single most autonomy, independence and sovereignty of them all, bar none. It also happens to be an island nation that was once a world power. Not all that long ago, either.

Back to your usual bash a Brit a day schedule I see.
What a fine example of European peace and harmony you are NOT ,

Yes we are a nation that once was a world power,

...as against a nation now on its third failing attempt to be a world power and not caring a damn what damage and disharmony it causes to Europe and its citizens in the process, most especially those in S.Europe. :cool:

Lion in Winter Jun 30th 2016 12:15 pm

I see Cameron's poisoned chalice has worked and Boris has dropped out of the race.

I assume he has seen that he would never be able to make good on the promise of keeping access to the single market and not have freedom of movement at the same time. He can see negotiations going on for years and not going well, and he doesn't want to get any of it on him.

What a man of principle.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 12:21 pm

I stand corrected.

But remind me, which EU member has a political crisis across all parties at the moment, and is exhibiting the most "unrest and disharmony"?

Somehow I knew a little truth would get your hair up, Dick. Thanks for proving me right.

EMR Jun 30th 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11989980)
Back to your usual bash a Brit a day schedule I see.
What a fine example of European peace and harmony you are NOT ,

Yes we are a nation that once was a world power,

...as against a nation now on its third failing attempt to be a world power and not caring a damn what damage and disharmony it causes to Europe and its citizens in the process, most especially those in S.Europe. :cool:

You mean the one that every UK government for decades has envied its growth rate and prosperity.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11989995)
I stand corrected.

But remind me, which EU member has a political crisis across all parties at the moment, and is exhibiting the most "unrest and disharmony"?

Somehow I knew a little truth would get your hair up, Dick. Thanks for proving me right.

France would be easily the best example on present form and also contenders as next leavers which would put the kibosh on it good and proper, though I can think of others. :cool:

Red Eric Jun 30th 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11989988)
I see Cameron's poisoned chalice has worked and Boris has dropped out of the race.

I assume he has seen that he would never be able to make good on the promise of keeping access to the single market and not have freedom of movement at the same time. He can see negotiations going on for years and not going well, and he doesn't want to get any of it on him.

What a man of principle.

Bit of a blow for fans of the mop-haired fop. They'll have to content themselves with a choice between Grovel, going for the hen-pecked husbands vote and Laura Norder, who I've just heard on TV here. Has she had voice coaching or something - she sounded eerily similar to Maggie. Sent quite a shiver down my spine.

What say you Lucky Leavers? Or are you waiting for Nu UKIP, the respectable face of xenophobia?

la mancha Jun 30th 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11990055)
Bit of a blow for fans of the mop-haired fop. They'll have to content themselves with a choice between Grovel, going for the hen-pecked husbands vote and Laura Norder, who I've just heard on TV here. Has she had voice coaching or something - she sounded eerily similar to Maggie. Sent quite a shiver down my spine.

What say you Lucky Leavers? Or are you waiting for Nu UKIP, the respectable face of xenophobia?

Grovel now, is it? And you wonder why the Remain camp lost? Give it up, just give it up.

Farage has got what he wanted: Britain out of the EU. He can give up the UKIP leadership with his head held higher than a mountain and a place in history. He came out on top.

What leader ever held office all through their lives? I hope when he retires from the UKIP leadership he goes on to make a lot of money in the private sector.

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11990007)
France would be easily the best example on present form and also contenders as next leavers which would put the kibosh on it good and proper, though I can think of others. :cool:

Hmm, let's see, PM resigned, both liberals and conservatives in complete disarray, and nobody has a clue where it's going from here.

UK political turmoil worsens after Brexit vote | New York Post

Nahhh... "unrest and disharmony"? What would lead you to believe that?

DaveLovesDee Jun 30th 2016 1:33 pm

Re: Post-Referendum thread

I've changed the thread title in my reply here, because we haven't actually exited yet, and appear to be not doing so for at least another four months.

But onto other things. As the title is Post Brexit thread, what are people's must-have's, wishlist's and no-way's are we all looking for as part of the divorce settlement.

Must-have's
All UK and EU nationals (and their family members) who hold host-country Permanent Residence or 5-year Residence Cards must be able to continue to reside in their host countries. They entered those countries under the rules in force at the time, and most of them have jobs. Forcibly removing them doesn't help anyone, neither does actively encouraging them to voluntarily leave.

Wishlist
Single-market access AND free movement of people. Not one or the other. Either there is both, or none.

No-way
Nothing yet.

Red Eric Jun 30th 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11990060)
Grovel now, is it? And you wonder why the Remain camp lost? Give it up, just give it up.

Give it up? I've only just started. I've studiously refrained from any name-calling at all up to now despite the fact that it was indulged in by others all over the place. I've now decided to put in place a bi-lateral agreement. I might also consider brushing up on smug hypocrisy and sneering intellectualism.

Anyway, win or lose, nothing any of us posted here made a scrap of difference, of that I'm sure.

aries Jun 30th 2016 2:21 pm

A professor at the London School of Economics said we should regard the referendum as a draw. Despite the number of votes for Brexit, he claims that Scotland and NI voted to remain.
Brexit: LSE expert says EU referendum was a 'draw' and UK exit will not happen | Politics | News | London Evening Standard

This reminds me of playing crazy golf with my brother's wife. I beat her according to the score, but she was adamant we should call it a draw. Well, she plays real golf 2 or 3 times a week, so it wasn't feasible for me to win!

Vexcore Jun 30th 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11990073)
I've changed the thread title in my reply here, because we haven't actually exited yet, and appear to be not doing so for at least another four months.

But onto other things. As the title is Post Brexit thread, what are people's must-have's, wishlist's and no-way's are we all looking for as part of the divorce settlement.

Must-have's
All UK and EU nationals (and their family members) who hold host-country Permanent Residence or 5-year Residence Cards must be able to continue to reside in their host countries. They entered those countries under the rules in force at the time, and most of them have jobs. Forcibly removing them doesn't help anyone, neither does actively encouraging them to voluntarily leave.

Wishlist
Single-market access AND free movement of people. Not one or the other. Either there is both, or none.

No-way
Nothing yet.

Freedom of movement is dangerous.... (was good at first but now it took the piss)

When we fully leave EU, they can't tell us to do this or do that.... they'll be screwed if they deny us access to this so called 'single market' we'll trade elsewhere then if they pull that stunt.

EU nationals in uk if they have been in UK for 5 or more years they should be able to get resident permit.

Gonna be a long road ahead of us... the EU nationals will get a hard time in the next two years.

Wol Jun 30th 2016 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11989422)
Since when was Aus in the EU ?

:confused:

amideislas Jun 30th 2016 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11990178)
they'll be screwed if they deny us access to this so called 'single market' we'll trade elsewhere then if they pull that stunt.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lpgJH-yk2b...hant_mouse.jpg

Dick Dasterdly Jun 30th 2016 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11990062)
Hmm, let's see, PM resigned, both liberals and conservatives in complete disarray, and nobody has a clue where it's going from here.

UK political turmoil worsens after Brexit vote | New York Post

Nahhh... "unrest and disharmony"? What would lead you to believe that?

Strange as it may seem to you, most people were already well aware that Cameron would have no choice but to resign if he lost the Brexit vote.
As I understand it the normal re selection process is already underway,five contenders having put forward their names before the deadline.
Whatever happens with Libs and Labs is of little significance until such time as an election is due, but their present state of disaray is par for the course at almost anytime you care to choose.

To get back to the EU, it's only a few weeks ago that an extreme right candidate came within a whisker of becoming President of Austria, result of adverse reaction to EU policies gone sadly wrong and heading down the wrong road.

I could also point to the rise of an extreme right party in Germany,once again due to failed EU policies presenting them with a credible platform on a plate.

I suggest you check up in your history book to see the last time something similar occurred in Europe and precisely what resulted.

Glasshouses and stones come to mind. :cool: