British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Scamp Oct 13th 2016 5:19 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075360)

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/disp...-170043443.jpg

mfesharne Oct 13th 2016 6:13 am

At the risk of getting whined at for daring to post DM links, here's a couple of brilliantly witty articles.

QUENTIN LETTS: Bremoaners in a state of agitation as the Commons debates exiting the EU | Daily Mail Online

Why should we listen to Ed Miliband on ANYTHING, asks QUENTIN LETTS | Daily Mail Online

Bermudashorts Oct 13th 2016 6:16 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12075388)

I think posting Guardian articles is the ultimate in scraping the barrel. :nod:

jimenato Oct 13th 2016 6:30 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12075078)
Brexit - food shortages imminent.

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075111)
:rofl:

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12075171)
:rofl::rofl: :lol:

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12075318)
:rofl::rofl::eek:

Tesco said only: "We are currently experiencing availability issues on a number of Unilever products."
"We hope to have this issue resolved soon," the company added.
However, it did not indicate when that might be.
Sterling has dropped by 16% against the euro since the UK's Brexit vote.
Unilever is the UK's biggest food and grocery manufacturer with many famous brand names.
Household names
Among those currently absent from Tesco's website are Marmite spread, Surf washing powder, Comfort fabric conditioner, Hellmann's mayonnaise, Pot Noodles and Ben & Jerry's ice cream.
See? I knew it would happen.:cool:

Bermudashorts Oct 13th 2016 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12075401)
Tesco announce food shortages due to Brexit.

See? I knew it would happen.:cool:

Yes we all read the story. Unilever thinking they can capitalise and Tesco standing up to them. Hardly food shortages, personally I think I will boycott Unilever, you know try a different brand of pot noodle :unsure:, and I am sure the usual demand / supply economics will come into play.

paulry Oct 13th 2016 6:50 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12074958)
Oh OK..... I know the Drum Rock Hotel...... our place was on the White River Country Estate..... about halfway down the 1st fairway.

When did you leave?

I haven't lived there for over 25 years, but I go back on family visits quite often - mostly to Cape Town. I was last in the Lowveld in 2000 and remember the floods that you spoke about. Loads of infrastructure damage. I bet it's changed a lot since those days. When did you leave?

amideislas Oct 13th 2016 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12075392)
I think posting Guardian articles is the ultimate in scraping the barrel. :nod:

IPSO berates British tabloids as "nasty" - FT.com

Highlights Daily Mail and Sun as most irresponsible reporting

paulry Oct 13th 2016 6:52 am

Pot Noodles :sick:

paulry Oct 13th 2016 6:53 am

Marmite :sick::sick:

Scamp Oct 13th 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075418)
Pot Noodles :sick:

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075419)

:thumbup: We agree on something...:eek:

Bermudashorts Oct 13th 2016 7:04 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075419)

Marmite. :wub:

Although I not had it since I got back here. Funny I did think about buying a jar this weekend though. I might have to rethink that plan, just hope malnutrition doesn't set in.

paulry Oct 13th 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12075426)
Marmite. :wub:

Although I not had it since I got back here. Funny I did think about buying a jar this weekend though. I might have to rethink that plan, just hope malnutrition doesn't set in.

There's always Vegemite. :getcoat:

paulry Oct 13th 2016 7:10 am

Bought a jar of Branston Pickle the other day (I think for the princely sum of $6). Delish in cheese sandwiches :thumbsup:

GeniB Oct 13th 2016 7:11 am

[QUOTE=amideislas;12074715]I honestly don't believe it was really "another agenda" it was reckless nationalism run amok and exaggerated well beyond any resemblance of reality by a wildly sensationalist, politically biased media. Fear of Europe and fear of "great" Britain being marginalised by it. It's been around since Britain joined.

Fact is, they simply had no clue and didn't care to (as later shown by the narratives from the brexiteers). All that mattered was to get out of that "corrupt, undemocratic dictatorship" that the tabloids led everyone to believe.

OK, so, the choice is made. But since it was Britain that had no clue and didn't care to, why does the EU owe Britain anything now? Shouldn't Britain have at least looked at the consequences? (OK, some did, but in the heat of the moment, it was dismissed as "scaremongering").

The "hard brexit" that seems to be on the table is exactly what Britain voted for. (Yes or no). And even as others say, they don't care. So.... What's stopping you? Is there something else you want?

Oh, access to the single market? Well, now we're back to square one. Might have been a good idea to have thought of that before deciding to leave it.[/QUOTE

The 'other agenda' I was referring to was that discussed by the Oxford Alumni in their debating circle. Lead by Boris they were scathing about the fact that the citizens of the UK didn't seem to mind being lead by Brussels (despite all Boris's efforts to diss the ideas coming from there in his lying article's for the Telegraph) They all agreed that THEY were the born leaders of the UK.and vowed to do anything and everything to get their power back. Which heh they did... Job done. The leavers should be happy... No?

mfesharne Oct 13th 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12075413)
I haven't lived there for over 25 years, but I go back on family visits quite often - mostly to Cape Town. I was last in the Lowveld in 2000 and remember the floods that you spoke about. Loads of infrastructure damage. I bet it's changed a lot since those days. When did you leave?

Ja, the flood damage was incredible....... A friend of mine had a house on the Crocodile River which was completely washed away in a matter of minutes & she wasn't the only one it happened to. :(

Both White River & Nelspruit have changed immensely in the last decade or so & are both now fabulous places. A lot more crime now though.

We left in 2011 & from what I hear, the area has seen a fair number of us Muzungus leaving in those intervening years.