British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Oct 11th 2016 8:38 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12073445)
UMMMMM i think you'll find LIVERPOOL was the major trading centre during the Industrial Revolution.. It provided 96% of the UK's GDP for well over 100 yrs. That London 'kinda forgot that' is the reason we are in the s**t now.:eek:

http://www.kgs-tornesch.de/dokumente...lution-12A.pdf

Bermudashorts Oct 11th 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12073445)
UMMMMM i think you'll find LIVERPOOL was the major trading centre during the Industrial Revolution.. It provided 96% of the UK's GDP for well over 100 yrs. That London 'kinda forgot that' is the reason we are in the s**t now.:eek:

God you are almost as boring as Ami.

I think the point you might want to take away is that we will survive, our industry will survive, just like it has for the last thousand years, most of that time without the EU.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 11th 2016 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12073449)

I think the point you might want to take away is that we will survive, our industry will survive, just like it has for the last thousand years, most of that time without the EU.

Exactly.

When you consider the real crises our country has battled through during the past few hundred years, many of them generated by our so called friends in Europe, the present situation is of very little significance at all.

:cool:

GeniB Oct 11th 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12073438)
So Russia is the very first, or supposedly will be ?

What happened to numerous others who were supposedly ready to pack their bags and leave the moment a pro Brexit result was announced ?

If ( and I say if with a capital I) you were any kind of businessman.. or had any notion of how a large business is run Dick. You would know that a major turnaround doesn't take two weeks. It takes months even years.(It took us a year to move ours just across a city to a new site.)

Check out what happened to business's in Canada when it was announced that all transactions had to be done in French.(after their Olympic games success) Business's took two yrs to move over the border to English speaking sites , and all the grandiose ideas that Quebec and Montreal had had of becoming the major French speaking power base turned to dust and disillusion.

We haven't left yet.. (to just repeat that for the 1,000th time) so they are still in the planning stage.However unlike politicians ,they won't backtrack,do a U turn, or other weasly move. Once that stamp is on the paper. they are gone. Gone is Gone.

Red Eric Oct 11th 2016 8:47 am

:confused: When did any remainer say the UK wouldn't survive?

We're talking about probable downsides and costs at the moment, which is something Leavers apparently simply refuse to contemplate.

amideislas Oct 11th 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12073440)
Based on a survey especially commissioned by Osborne.

Need I say more ?

:rofl:

Yes, you might make note of the fact that aside from extreme brexiters, few in the world disagree with what's expressed in that report.

But look, Britain voted to leave the EU. Shouldn't it expect to do that, regardless of the consequences? It's what Britain voted for. So set your expectations appropriately. Britain has relegated itself to a new politico-economic reality. Live with it.

GeniB Oct 11th 2016 8:52 am

Oh dear Bermuda .. you do wriggle on the line don't you.. Hate FACTS do you?
Of course you do when they don't add up to Brexit is Brexit. It IS boring.when people have no clue what they are talking about. But!!! it's going to get a h**l of a lot MORE Boring believe me...:eek:

Assanah Oct 11th 2016 8:58 am

Yes, Britsh people also survived living in the Middle Ages without modern medicine, food standards, cars, and central heating. So did Germany, and Botswana. The question is not whether the UK survives but how far your standard of living will drop. We will all now watch how far this will go and how comfortable the British will be with that drop.

Scamp Oct 11th 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12073437)
London was a major trading centre as far back as the days of the Romans, much more so during the Industrial revolution.

We have nothing at all to thank the Eu for, whose only purpose in that respect has been to try and grab a piece of our action.

You genuinely and truly believe the EU has never done anything for Britain?

GeniB Oct 11th 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12073457)
:confused: When did any remainer say the UK wouldn't survive?

We're talking about probable downsides and costs at the moment, which is something Leavers apparently simply refuse to contemplate.

Your right Eric.. Most of us who were remainer's voted that way because we had experience of the reality of living or working,or both in the EU. In other words had actual experience. A lot of the leavers did not.

We are the ones who have moved swiftly on to 'what are the consequences'? and how will they affect us.? Whilst the leavers have some sort of 'arrested development' a sort of dusting off of the hands ' syndrome,that says . 'That's that.. done.
They absolutely refuse to discuss where the UK is going,what the plans are.etc.Any discussion is marked anti UK. I find that remarkable. The wish to leave the union is one thing. Complete disinterest in the future fortunes of the country involved is another. and smacks of xenophobic naivety..

mfesharne Oct 11th 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12073474)
Your right Eric.. Most of us who were remainer's voted that way because we had experience of the reality of living or working,or both in the EU. In other words had actual experience. A lot of the leavers did not.

We are the ones who have moved swiftly on to 'what are the consequences'? and how will they affect us.? Whilst the leavers have some sort of 'arrested development' a sort of dusting off of the hands ' syndrome,that says . 'That's that.. done.
They absolutely refuse to discuss where the UK is going,what the plans are.etc.Any discussion is marked anti UK. I find that remarkable. The wish to leave the union is one thing. Complete disinterest in the future fortunes of the country involved is another. and smacks of xenophobic naivety..

That 1st para is utterly ridiculous...... why would those who voted to leave have had any less experience of living/working in the EU? :confused:

As for the rest, the majority voted to leave the EU without condition not to leave the EU unless certain conditions were met.

Therefore, they find it acceptable to leave even if it does have consequences that might make life harder or more inconvenient for them.

GeniB Oct 11th 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12073448)

You know Dick. History is written by those in power.. Liverpool docks was the largest in the world during the Industrail revolution.. In fact they were the first in the world to build a dock capable of taking large ships. and cargo's London did not want to 'own' this fact of course. If you don't believe me. you might look at more recently revealed facts from WW2.records about the bombing of Liverpool and it's docks and it's people. A FACT kept from the people of the UK. by Winston Churchill 'in case they panicked' ? A rather peculiar reason if the docks were of less importance than London don't you think. It was despicable act that has never been formerly acknowledged or apologised for... but there you go.. that's London for you.. The world starts and ends there...Oh and you might want to read the wonderful book.. Liverpool.by Ken Pye

amideislas Oct 11th 2016 9:25 am

Life in a 10-word-or-less infotainment cloud frees you from the boring burden of details and critical thinking.

(plus the added benefit of tossing rotten tomatoes at anyone on your 60" smart TV who challenges you to think).

Annetje Oct 11th 2016 10:25 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12073484)
Life in a 10-word-or-less infotainment cloud frees you from the boring burden of details and critical thinking.

(plus the added benefit of tossing rotten tomatoes at anyone on your 60" smart TV who challenges you to think).

I was missing the line : we WON ... get over it !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

amideislas Oct 11th 2016 10:36 am

I hadn't taken this too seriously until now, and although it's clear that the three brexiteers are committed to ramrodding brexit down Britain's throat, it seems this may actually end up in court.

U.K. Court to Decide How Soon Brexit Can Actually Mean Brexit - Bloomberg

As a practical matter, although it's clear that the government is trying to subvert Parliament, and that Brexit is bad for all involved (particularly the UK), I'm not convinced stopping it this way is going to make anything better. I'm just not sure if more political turmoil is what the UK needs now. I'm on the fence.

Brexit means Brexit. The chalice has already been poisoned. Europe has already prepared for its departure, and has increasing adopted a "good riddance" attitude. If there's one thing the EU needs, it's unity. Britain has proven itself to be a prolific disunifier. Returning now would be on far more adversarial terms. And any future within the EU would be far more adversarial on both sides.

Unfortunately, ramping up this kind of turmoil will only serve to further weaken the UK's respectability, position and standing in all aspects, from its EU negotiations, to weakening its already weak position in much revered "trade deals", to its diplomatic relationships, to NATO ...

It's probably best to just get on with it, and accept the consequences, no matter how bad they are.

Again, I'm not sure. Maybe the UK could remain in the EU and not end up in an endless cycle of political turmoil over it. But I kind of doubt it.