British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Oct 9th 2016 10:08 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12072250)
Germany runs the show because we let them.. the Brits were invited on no less than three occasions to take a prominent role in the leadership of the EU. We declined for reasons that were never quite clear.? Germany is the strongest of the partners. France used to play a more active role but also seems to have lost the ability to lead. Like him or not Tony Blair was our last chance simple because he had the presence (it's all acting in the end) the ability to get people to listen to him, That's all gone now along with our credibility

And we've forfeited the leadership of the EU Council of Ministers which we were due to hold from July 2018. Talk about timing.........

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12072270)
That is what I keep hearing, but…

Shortage of European office space may torpedo plans for banks to leave UK

Shortage of European office space may torpedo plans for banks to leave UK - Independent.ie

Threats by some of London’s biggest City names to quit the capital and move overseas may be scuppered by a huge shortfall of European offices.

The eurozone’s second-largest lender, Deutsche Bank, has threatened to leave the capital if Britain opts out of the EU, echoing the views of a host of City firms.

However, property agent Savills warns the plans are impractical.

None of the major European cities could cater for that kind of demand at the click of fingers or even with six months’ notice,” said Mat Oakley, head of commercial research at Savills.

Separately, central London businesses can expect a scramble for new space and a hike in rents as office availability plummeted to a 14-year low.

Lack of European office space may force City firms to stay in London | London Evening Standard

That's ingenious, suggesting businesses would only have 6 months to move. The end of March is 5 1/2 months away, then there's the two-year (or longer if mutually agreed between the EU and UK). And if a few of the largest financial services companies decided to move to Frankfurt, I'm sure a few more would look at following. And Frankfurt's construction industry would find a way of accommodating them one way or another, including bringing in contractors from outside Germany who could use free movement rules to help things get built faster.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 9th 2016 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12072300)
And we've forfeited the leadership of the EU Council of Ministers which we were due to hold from July 2018. Talk about timing.........

:rofl:

In other words about the most meaningless position in the history of the planet.

Now the leadership of the Eu Commision/Dictatorship would have been a totally different kettle of fish.

However the fact that they prefer someone like that drunken buffoon Junckers, pretty well says all that needs to be said about the catastrophic comic opera that the Eu clown circus has turned out to be. :cool:

GeniB Oct 9th 2016 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12072327)

In other words about the most meaningless position in the history of the planet.

Now the leadership of the Eu Commision/Dictatorship would have been a totally different kettle of fish.

However the fact that they prefer someone like that drunken buffoon Junckers, pretty well says all that needs to be said about the catastrophic comic opera that the Eu clown circus has turned out to be. :cool:

I can't believe it but I think your running out of derogatory adjectives there dick..we're on repeat now. Anyone help him out out here ?.. his vocabulary isn't up to it.:o

Dick Dasterdly Oct 9th 2016 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12072330)
I can't believe it but I think your running out of derogatory adjectives there dick..we're on repeat now. Anyone help him out out here ?.. his vocabulary isn't up to it.:o

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't fret GeniB,
there's plenty more in my dictionary, probably much more fitting than those, only problem being, I'm not sure how kindly the Mods would view them. :eek:

Anyway if you want to be picky, should the "your" in your post not read as you're ?

:cool:

DaveLovesDee Oct 10th 2016 12:03 am

You keep asserting that Juncker's a drunken buffoon. Do you have evidence for this, or are you just repeating a lie often enough that people accept is as fact?

Should we start referring to you as the lying Dick? :p

amideislas Oct 10th 2016 3:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12072300)

That's ingenious, suggesting businesses would only have 6 months to move. The end of March is 5 1/2 months away, then there's the two-year (or longer if mutually agreed between the EU and UK). And if a few of the largest financial services companies decided to move to Frankfurt, I'm sure a few more would look at following. And Frankfurt's construction industry would find a way of accommodating them one way or another, including bringing in contractors from outside Germany who could use free movement rules to help things get built faster.

What's more deluded in that argument is that somehow, lack of office space will dissuade companies from leaving should they be at risk of losing billions in revenues.

Or that nobody would be interested in accommodating them. Clearly, Germany, France, and many other member states are already actively lobbying UK based firms to move to the continent. Berlin has had a well funded campaign to attract UK business since the result of the referendum. Tax breaks and other incentives are being offered.

Frankfurt, Berlin Up Efforts to Attract British Firms Post-Brexit - The Wall Street Journal
Rivalry among leading European cities to attract businesses from London is intensifying

http://www.mopo.de/image/24349276/2x...l-49926295.jpg

Scamp Oct 10th 2016 4:12 am

Dick, I've suggested before that people in glass houses.....

Scamp Oct 10th 2016 4:26 am

There are many, many funny pictures flying around, but these made me chuckle;

https://i.imgflip.com/16d0uc.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/16ewyz.jpg

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...39/899/624.jpg

TGA Oct 10th 2016 4:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12072348)
You keep asserting that Juncker's a drunken buffoon. Do you have evidence for this, or are you just repeating a lie often enough that people accept is as fact?

Should we start referring to you as the lying Dick? :p

Scamp Oct 10th 2016 4:49 am

Morning Dick. Quick question, do you worry that your opinions, information and 'facts' are based on nothing but pure, unadulterated sensationalist lies?

Express lies. Home Office points it out.

Anyway, found a new paper for you. It's basically the same as the Daily Express. Some of the words look bigger so it might take slightly longer for you to read, but if you use your finger to follow the lines as I'm told it helps.

New Daily Express

mfesharne Oct 10th 2016 5:07 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12072436)

:rofl::thumbsup::goodpost::thumbsup::goodpost: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Fredbargate Oct 10th 2016 6:28 am

A Daily Express front page has been branded “wholly incorrect” by the Home Office and “dangerous” by a charity, after it claimed 12,000 asylum seekers in Britain have “vanished” and are “on the run”.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12072439)
Morning Dick. Quick question, do you worry that your opinions, information and 'facts' are based on nothing but pure, unadulterated sensationalist lies?

Express lies. Home Office points it out.

Anyway, found a new paper for you. It's basically the same as the Daily Express. Some of the words look bigger so it might take slightly longer for you to read, but if you use your finger to follow the lines as I'm told it helps.

New Daily Express

If the part highlighted above is correct why are we wasting money on the following?

“We now have a dedicated national absconder tracing team which works closely with the police, other government agencies and commercial companies to track down, arrest and return absconders to custody.”

amideislas Oct 10th 2016 6:35 am

Morning all.

Bumped into this one. Illustrates a bit about Britain's delusional belief that it will somehow get all the goodies when it leaves the EU.

Theresa May, here’s why other EU countries will not give you an easy deal
The PM does not realise why other countries defend the principles of the single market

The prime minister doesn’t seem to realise – or care – that she is worsening the UK’s chances of a good European Union deal; though wisely Theresa May has picked a like-minded country, Denmark, to visit when she first ventures abroad after telling Europeans how she really feels about us.

Here’s an EU country that for the last decade or so has offered the same anti-foreign rhetoric that the Tories are now delivering. It’s also a country that has also opposed what it loves to call EU “meddling”. A country that has adopted the whole set of EU opt-outs, just like the UK. A country that last December called a referendum on EU cooperation (in police matters) and had its population say “no thanks”. A country that long has called itself the UK’s best ally.

And yet, in her talks with the Danish prime minister, Lars Løkke Rasmussen, May will receive an unequivocal “no” to her pleas for an EU deal without free movement of people.

She could brush it off with the same explanation that parts of the British media are serving up: “It’s all about punishing the British.” Or she could, after having repeatedly (if also surprisingly vaguely) stated her government’s view of what it intends to achieve from Brexit, belatedly start paying attention to the other side of this deal she seeks. Her government could begin by acknowledging something that it must know but rarely admits – the other 27 EU countries have national interests too.

But there’s more, and this is vital for her to understand: the other EU countries believe it is in their national interest to safeguard the single market. Why? Because of jobs. Millions of jobs have been created because European companies have been able to buy and sell freely to the richest consumers in the world, in the largest market in the world.
I suppose one could also argue that they're all just foreigners, so why should we consider their interests?

Scamp Oct 10th 2016 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12072480)
A Daily Express front page has been branded “wholly incorrect” by the Home Office and “dangerous” by a charity, after it claimed 12,000 asylum seekers in Britain have “vanished” and are “on the run”.

If the part highlighted above is correct why are we wasting money on the following?

“We now have a dedicated national absconder tracing team which works closely with the police, other government agencies and commercial companies to track down, arrest and return absconders to custody.”

I'm surprised that there isn't an absconder tracing team anyway, aren't you?
I'm sure not everyone entering the country is perfect, but I'm also quite happy to follow the Home Office's guidance that the Express is full of shit and blatantly manipulated a statistic into a fabricated, untrue story...but hey, it appeals to that kind of person.

Bipat Oct 10th 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12072147)
Immigration axt 1962
I know what it says... I am asking YOU for positive confirmable evidence that it has been adhered to because many people in the uk would doubt it very much.

EU constitution has nothing in it that allows for the overruling of Laws in the UK. Do you actually understand the meaning of ' Sovereignty' ?

The Title is The Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962.

What are non-EU work visas for? What about the recent increase in required salary or deportation (nurses exempt). You surely must be aware of this? The fact that many people in the UK are unaware is irrelevant --I don't suppose many have read the EU Constitution. (I would expect posters on this thread to be more aware. :lol:

(I personally do not know any person who has applied to work in the UK since 1962 --and as I am not there at the moment cannot go and find a non-EU migrant to ask!!)

The supremacy of european community law | Law Teacher