Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:14 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

I think brexiteers need to come to grips with one simple fact.

International investors (Britain is wholly dependent on foreign investment) are interested in returns on their investments. Full stop.

The union jack is not a factor in any of their analysis. Full stop.

The question is, without the European market, what does Britain have to offer the world?

The latest sky news poll suggests that the majority of Britons favour stopping immigration over the single market. Despite the fact that as a matter of public record, immigration has provided the UK with significant economic benefits.

OK. Fine. But there is a price to be paid.

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 4th 2016 at 8:19 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:18 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That isn't going to be cheap, either.

Has there ever been a secure border there anyway? We only crossed a few times in the pre-Agreement/pre-ceasefire NI and other than a few army checkpoints, I don't remember any kind of border control, we could always just cross the border without incident. Aren't NI citizens also de facto Irish citizens anyway per the Agreement?
The border's always been a soft one as far as I'm aware. And yes, NI-born persons automatically have Irish nationality (and will still be able to exercise free movement across the EU - just not between the two countries of their passports as there'll have to be immigration checkpoints ), and that's one part of the GFA we're tearing up.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:27 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
The border's always been a soft one as far as I'm aware. And yes, NI-born persons automatically have Irish nationality (and will still be able to exercise free movement across the EU - just not between the two countries of their passports as there'll have to be immigration checkpoints ), and that's one part of the GFA we're tearing up.
Getting the train down to Dublin for a piss-up is going to become a right pain in the arse, isn't it? I have to guess that at least 90% and probably more of border crossings between NI and the ROI are citizens of those two countries going back and forth for business/pleasure. This is only going to negatively impact 1.8 million British citizens in the long run.

Though, I suppose NI doesn't really count as 'British' in the eyes of most leavers.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:33 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Neither does Scotland. Bloody Foreigners. But at least they're white foreigners. I suppose we can live with that.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I think brexiteers need to come to grips with one simple fact.

International investors (Britain is wholly dependent on foreign investment) are interested in returns on their investments. Full stop.

The union jack is not a factor in any of their analysis. Full stop.

The question is, without the European market, what does Britain have to offer the world?

The latest sky news poll suggests that the majority of Britons favour stopping immigration over the single market. Despite the fact that as a matter of public record, immigration has provided the UK with significant economic benefits.

OK. Fine. But there is a price to be paid.
The poll does not show that the majority of Britons favour stopping immigration over the single market! The poll shows that the majority of Britons favour CONTROLLING immigration over the single market.

You never miss an opportunity to run down our country and to pour scorn on our compatriots do you (that's assuming you really are British)?

I expect you'll come back with the predictable response, but you're just a British hater. Don't agree with me? Then take a look at the drivel you've posted these last several months.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:35 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
The poll does not show that the majority of Britons favour stopping immigration over the single market! The poll shows that the majority of Britons favour CONTROLLING immigration over the single market.

You never miss an opportunity to run down our country and to pour scorn on our compatriots (that's assuming you really are British).

I expect you'll come back with the predictable response, but you're just a British hater. Don't agree with me? Then take a look at the anti-British drivel you've posted these last several months.
That's projecting an awful lot of insecurity there. Want to talk about it?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:35 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Sorry, yes, I realise Britain is superior. My apologies.

Nonetheless, investors don't give a flying dynamic fark about the union jack. That's not going to save Britain.

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 4th 2016 at 8:39 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:37 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's projecting an awful lot of insecurity there. Want to talk about it?
Really? How so?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You never miss an opportunity to run down our country and to pour scorn on our compatriots do you (that's assuming you really are British)?

I expect you'll come back with the predictable response, but you're just a British hater. Don't agree with me? Then take a look at the anti-British drivel you've posted these last several months.
A "British hater"?

Is that like being a "German hater"?

See where this "nation state" nonsense gets you? Conversations that sound like 12-year-olds squabbling.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

How far is Britain from Europe? Oh, it's a doddle for Morrison's to get lettuce from Brazil. No problem at all. Just to spite Europe. Brilliant.

Capital can't access the world's largest economy because Britain has no access to it? Why base in Britain then? Frankfurt starts looking kind of attractive. Erm, the warnings about this are prolific. It's not MY idea.

The fruit and veg I buy now before Brexit comes from, besides the EU, Chile, Egypt, South Africa, Palestine (yes!), Israel, Australia, Morocco, Colombia, Turkey, New Zealand and many more non-EU nations, but living on your island you wouldn’t know how the world works.

You have it the wrong way round. The EU wants to access the world’s capital. Why base in Britain (I think you mean London)? Because London has the expertise and infrastructure. Frankfurt does not. And, ‘London is the most global financial centre…’ And that is not MY idea, either.

All you have thus far is your opinion and ‘could be’ links.

You still left my question unanswered. ‘How do you think the Eurozone will come out of this, with the UK out of the single market and EU finance institutions having to get access to London to access capital?’
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:43 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
The fruit and veg I buy now before Brexit comes from, besides the EU, Chile, Egypt, South Africa, Palestine (yes!), Israel, Australia, Morocco, Colombia, Turkey, New Zealand and many more non-EU nations, but living on your island you wouldn’t know how the world works.

You have it the wrong way round. The EU wants to access the world’s capital. Why base in Britain (I think you mean London)? Because London has the expertise and infrastructure. Frankfurt does not. And, ‘London is the most global financial centre…’ And that is not MY idea, either.

You still left my question unanswered. ‘How do you think the Eurozone will come out of this, with the UK out of the single market and EU finance institutions having to get access to London to access capital?’
Sigh.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:56 pm
Doin' It Right

Really? How so?
'British hater', 'anti-British drivel'. Laying it on a bit thick, aren't you?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:01 pm
Banned

'British hater', 'anti-British drivel'. Laying it on a bit thick, aren't you?
No point in sugar coating the truth
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.
So, from the 24/7 master of links and opinions we get a ‘sigh’ when asked a question. I’ll rephrase the question if it is too long for you. How do you think the EU will come out of Brexit if all you post comes to fruition?

I look forward to your reply tomorrow.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:06 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
EU-sourced fruit and veg will very likely cost a little more post-Brexit, along with anything else from the same source, until the UK and EU come to an agreement on this.

London has the expertise and the infrastructure, but it wouldn't be that difficult for Germany or France to take up the extra workload.

And the could-be links are mostly by people who's job it is to be aware of these things.

The Eurozone shouldn't be affected much by Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.