British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Oct 2nd 2016 4:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12066718)
For those in any doubt as to just how difficult, lengthy and convoluted this legal divorce process on laws would be, read this. And not just the headline.

Reality Check: How would the UK rid itself of EU law? - BBC News

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12066733)
End of march, so March 2019 fully out. (unless someone takes the piss)

I bet Labour are fuming right now.

WOO HOOO

Read the link provided.

la mancha Oct 2nd 2016 4:38 pm

Pressure has been put on May by some nations but she is insistent that freedom of movement must end. Now the pressure is on the EU. The world’s biggest banks are appealing to the U.S. and other foreign governments to help them make the case for safeguarding London’s status as an international financial hub in the Brexit negotiations.

Fearful their industry will be hurt when the U.K. leaves the European Union, executives are reaching out to governments abroad to ask them to lobby EU policy makers on the importance of London maintaining unfettered access to the bloc.

“The City of London is a global financial center, not just Europe’s, so at the end of the day we also need to look at the implications for the U.K. as a whole and for the City of London and for the rest of the world," said McFarlane, who chairs industry lobby group TheCityUK and also sits on a government panel for promoting the financial sector. “International advocacy would be the term we would use. It’s important.”

“If the end result is a lack of access, then both the U.K. and Europe will lose, because the efficiency of London as a global capital market will be very difficult for Europe to replace,” said Rooney. The EU “is arguably the largest market economy in the world, and if it wants to remain so, then it really does need a large, efficient global financial center to deliver capital and credit to its companies,” he said.

The EU has to think long and hard if it wants to cut us out of the single market.

Global Banks Lobby U.S. to Guard London’s Status Post Brexit - Bloomberg

Assanah Oct 2nd 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12063391)
Moody's recently said that loss of passporting won't be a huge problem for financial companies.

I suspect that that is because they will simply move operations abroad.

That is probably true. It is quite easy to move offices. It looks very likely that Britain will lose its passporting rights. So I guess the banks will move parts of their operations to Europe. But for manufacturing companies the problems are much bigger. It is not easy or cheap to move factories. But I assume that the UK will pay them to stay. After all after leaving the EU the UK has a massive amount of money that can be used to finance the losses of the companies... Or maybe the NHS....or maybe the poor regions in the UK ....nah, the UK will use the money to finance arts and science...or maybe the trade negotiators that have to he hired or maybe the customs officers for border control or maybe the UK will use the money to buy access to the EU market??

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12066736)
Yet you felt it was a good idea for people to rush out and vote for it nonetheless?

Yet another argument that doesn't hold water.

No-one knows the future so everyone that voted on both sides did so on opinion only.

Sure, no-one knows what'll happen post Brexit but equally, no-one could predict what would happen had the UK remained within the EU.

Vexcore Oct 2nd 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066735)
Are you smoking crack, you certainly must have had a good lunch.

Why you gotta be like a complete tosser? May said it... 'END OF MARCH'

Troll on geezer.

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066746)

No-one knows the future so everyone that voted on both sides did so on opinion only.

Sure, no-one knows what'll happen post Brexit but equally, no-one could predict what would happen had the UK remained within the EU.

If you have no idea what the future holds, what did you vote for , or did you just throw a dart at your ballot form.
You are doing a good job justifying the vote to leave.

la mancha Oct 2nd 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12066745)
That is probably true. It is quite easy to move offices. It looks very likely that Britain will lose its passporting rights. So I guess the banks will move parts of their operations to Europe. But for manufacturing companies the problems are much bigger. It is not easy or cheap to move factories. But I assume that the UK will pay them to stay. After all after leaving the EU the UK has a massive amount of money that can be used to finance the losses of the companies... Or maybe the NHS....or maybe the poor regions in the UK ....nah, the UK will use the money to finance arts and science...or maybe the trade negotiators that have to he hired or maybe the customs officers for border control or maybe the UK will use the money to buy access to the EU market??

Or maybe the intransigent EU will lose out on the capital markets and the Eurozone will be held in the grip of austerity for another ten plus years. If so, the commissioners should try telling the people of the Eurozone this is what Brexit means and see what they say. Happy days ahead.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 4:53 pm

Erm, the EU didn't vote the UK out. The UK did. Why should Britain get the benefits without the burdens?

Brexit means brexit, remember? That includes the single market. Theresa May made that abundantly clear today in her speech (which I thought was truly well done).

No doubt Britain will try to get any freebies it can get, but frankly, the 27 member states already aren't in any mood to give Britain any freebies. And it will need all 27 to agree.

Plus, after all the outrageous Farage/Boris/Gove rants, insults, lies, misrepresentations and exaggerations, only to later discover they didnt even know how the EU works, the 27 don't hold Britain in any great deal of trust and respect. Then, this sudden flowery "love fest" with Europe as delivered in speeches today sounds suspiciously desperate.

Brexit means Brexit.

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12066748)
Why you gotta be like a complete tosser? May said it... 'END OF MARCH'

Troll on geezer.

2 years is the absolute minimum period.
I suggest you go back to finding racist offensive links, it is more your style?.

la mancha Oct 2nd 2016 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12066751)
Erm, the EU didn't vote the UK out. The UK did. Why should Britain get the benefits without the burdens?

Brexit means brexit, remember? That includes the single market. Teresa May made that abundantly clear today in her speech (which I thought was truly well done).

No doubt Britain will try to get any freebies it can get, but frankly, the 27 member states already aren't very keen to give Britain any freebies. And it will need all 27 to agree.

Plus, after all the outrageous Farage/Boris/Gove rants, insults, lies, misrepresentations and exaggerations, only to later discover they didnt even know how the EU works, the 27 don't hold Britain in any great deal of trust and respect. Then, this sudden flowery "love fest" with Europe as delivered in speeches today sounds suspiciously desperate.

Brexit means Brexit.

See my post 5122

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12066740)
Pressure has been put on May by some nations but she is insistent that freedom of movement must end. Now the pressure is on the EU. The world’s biggest banks are appealing to the U.S. and other foreign governments to help them make the case for safeguarding London’s status as an international financial hub in the Brexit negotiations.

Fearful their industry will be hurt when the U.K. leaves the European Union, executives are reaching out to governments abroad to ask them to lobby EU policy makers on the importance of London maintaining unfettered access to the bloc.

“The City of London is a global financial center, not just Europe’s, so at the end of the day we also need to look at the implications for the U.K. as a whole and for the City of London and for the rest of the world," said McFarlane, who chairs industry lobby group TheCityUK and also sits on a government panel for promoting the financial sector. “International advocacy would be the term we would use. It’s important.”

“If the end result is a lack of access, then both the U.K. and Europe will lose, because the efficiency of London as a global capital market will be very difficult for Europe to replace,” said Rooney. The EU “is arguably the largest market economy in the world, and if it wants to remain so, then it really does need a large, efficient global financial center to deliver capital and credit to its companies,” he said.

The EU has to think long and hard if it wants to cut us out of the single market.

Global Banks Lobby U.S. to Guard London’s Status Post Brexit - Bloomberg

In her BBC interview this morning May avoided the question regarding ending free movement, falling back on the usual , we will see how the negotiations go.
She diverted the question onto the need to improve the low skill base and educational standards in the UK.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12066756)
See my post 5122

I did. That's what I was responding to.

Lion in Winter Oct 2nd 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066746)

Well that wasn't what the pro-leave campaigns said at all. They were completely certain that terrible things would happen if we stayed within the EU, from "uncontrolled mass migration" to economic collapse from being tied to what they portrayed as a sinking EU.

Now you say they didn't know that at all.

So which is it?

la mancha Oct 2nd 2016 5:07 pm

You are all in denial. Over what? A successful Britain?

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066749)
If you have no idea what the future holds, what did you vote for , or did you just throw a dart at your ballot form.
You are doing a good job justifying the vote to leave.

That's a really easy question to answer. I voted according to the question asked, which was;

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pste4xb8d4.jpg

As Vexcore quite rightly said; "troll on geezer"