British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Oct 2nd 2016 11:37 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066541)
There is no way that any of our expat ultras would ever return to the country they rejected because it moved on from a 1955.mindset.
They might get some respect if they did.

How can you possibly know what expats in general think?
Being an expat does not necessarily indicate "rejection" there must be thousands+ like ourselves loyal to two countries and dividing their time.

Bipat Oct 2nd 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12066600)
As long as we're officially no longer a member of the EU, most of the Brexiters will be happy. Whether that includes free movement or not will decide whether the rest of them are happy or not. :p

How do you know "most" ?

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12066601)
How can you possibly know what expats in general think?
Being an expat does not necessarily indicate "rejection" there must be thousands+ like ourselves loyal to two countries and dividing their time.

Do read, my post again.
I was not referring to expats in general but to Our non resident Ultra brexiters..
I am sure that there are tens and tens thousands of Brits living abroad who are happy with the multi racial,, multi cultural, multi religious society that the UK has become and will increasingly grow into.
It was not those I was referring to.

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 11:51 am

Setting aside the arrogant claims of the remoaniacs that think they can predict what everyone else believes & what will happen in the future, the truth is that no-one knows what individuals think about free movement or anything else but personally, I'd very much prefer see an end to free movement even if it comes at a cost...... but an end to free movement doesn't mean no movement, it just means controlled movement.

DaveLovesDee Oct 2nd 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12066602)

How do you know "most" ?

It's an assumption through reading the newspaper opinions, and the comments from the Brexiters on here that repeatedly point out that the majority voted to leave the EU.

A Swiss-type agreement means we leave the EU but still retain free movement and single-market access, one of many potential exit options available.

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12066602)

How do you know "most" ?

Did they vote for that or NOT?

If little changes but for our no longer being EU members once the dust settles Uk politics and society will return to its basic concerns.
The division between the haves and have nots , the economy, health , education etc.
Those knuckle draggers on the fringe will continue to focus on immigration on multi culturalism etc whether we are in the EU or not..

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066610)
Setting aside the arrogant claims of the remoaniacs that think they can predict what everyone else believes & what will happen in the future, the truth is that no-one knows what individuals think about free movement or anything else but personally, I'd very much prefer see an end to free movement even if it comes at a cost...... but an end to free movement doesn't mean no movement, it just means controlled movement.

What is more important to you, The economy , the prosperity of the UK and its people or just the end of free movement.?
You will not pay the cost,.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 12:11 pm

I used to have a lot of respect for the Telegraph, but lately, they've been increasingly acting more like a "headline only" sensationalist tabloid.

This, for example;

Brexit begins: Theresa May takes axe to EU laws - The Telegraph

The fact is, that Theresa May has actually proposed quite the reverse, in fact the “Great Repeal Bill” enshrines virtually all EU law into UK law.

Granted, this is a simple matter of convenience, but it's quite the reverse of "taking an axe".

But it sounds good, even if misleading. That's how the tabloids work. And they have far greater circulation. And political power.

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066616)
What is more important to you, The economy , the prosperity of the UK and its people or just the end of free movement.?
You will not pay the cost,.

None of those things were high on the list of my deciding criteria that made me vote the way I did.

Most important factors for me were that I believe an independent UK will mean a more secure UK & better future for my children & grand children & subsequent generations & controlled movement was obviously a part of that.

How about you?

What's your deciding criteria for wanting so badly to remain?

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066630)

Most important factors for me were that I believe an independent UK will mean a more secure UK & better future for my children & grand children & subsequent generations & controlled movement was obviously a part of that.

Being that it's now become quite clear that Brexit will neither enhance nor achieve any of those things (and will, by all credible accounts, serve to diminish UK security and prosperity), do you still feel you made the right decision?

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066630)
None of those things were high on the list of my deciding criteria that made me vote the way I did.

How about you?

What's your deciding criteria for wanting so badly to remain?

The prosperity of the UK and its people.

Prejudice and ignorance will never create jobs, pay rents and mortgages.
But as we know you will not be affected if it all goes wrong.

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12066636)
Being that it's now become quite clear that Brexit will neither enhance nor achieve any of those things (and will, by all credible accounts, serve to diminish UK security and prosperity), do you still feel you made the right decision?

There you go again with your BS belief that you can see into the future.

Your statement is absolute speculation & nothing more whatsoever yet you so arrogantly claim that what you say is fact when none of it is.

It'll take years, if not decades AFTER Brexit is complete before anyone will know how successful it's been & yet you & the rest of the remoaniacs think you already know it's going to be a failure.

Your comment reminds me of the words of Solzhenitsyn who wrote:

"One can build the Empire State Building, discipline the Prussian army, make a state hierarchy mightier than God, and yet fail to overcome the unaccountable superiority of certain human beings."

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066648)
There you go again with your BS belief that you can see into the future.

Your statement is absolute speculation & nothing more whatsoever yet you so arrogantly claim that what you say is fact when none of it is.

It'll take years, if not decades AFTER Brexit is complete before anyone will know how successful it's been & yet you & the rest of the remoaniacs think you already know it's going to be a failure.

Your comment reminds me of the words of Solzhenitsyn who wrote:

"One can build the Empire State Building, discipline the Prussian army, make a state hierarchy mightier than God, and yet fail to overcome the unaccountable superiority of certain human beings."

You are absolutely correct, if we accept your views regarding the concerns of the Remainers then the same applies to the ambitions and wishes of brexiters.
You will not see the changes you voted for become part of the UK in anything like the timescale some brexiters think.
Who will you blame then, it will be what you voted for.

mikelincs Oct 2nd 2016 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12066572)
So around April 1st :p

Well TM says 'by the end of March' but that's still some 9 months after the vote, so they're obviously in a great hurry

Lion in Winter Oct 2nd 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12066481)
There's certainly nastiness and fear-mongering and racism in saying (as the post that sparked this discussion off did) that refugees are "****ing up white culture".

This has been going on since well before a Brexit was even a gleam in anyone's eye. Nothing new there. What matters though is what the rest us do so that that garbage never becomes acceptable nor entered into "normal" political discussion. Such stuff - and those who use it - is as absurd as it is despicable.