British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Oct 1st 2016 9:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12066311)

Thankfully 99.9% of the population does not suffer from your peculiar state of mind and alternative reality.

DaveLovesDee Oct 1st 2016 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12066251)
I was not.

However now you have mentioned it perhaps the vote should have only applied to those who are resident within the UK's part of the EU and not to those who are resident in other parts of the EU.
Because it will only be that part that withdraws from the EU.

In which case EU nationals in the UK should also have had a vote, as it affects their future too.

paulry Oct 2nd 2016 12:21 am

Gearing up for it. :thumbsup:

Brexit: May to introduce EU repeal bill in Queen's Speech - BBC News

The Great Repeal Bill is a bold move by Theresa May

:britflag:

DaveLovesDee Oct 2nd 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12066380)

Let's do it then.

Lion in Winter Oct 2nd 2016 3:44 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12066380)

"The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law and anything deemed unnecessary will be abolished later."

As we were saying, looks as though we are brewing up a distinction without a difference.

Next up, "quotas" for immigration that exactly match the number of non-British nationals who come to the UK anyway.

Bipat Oct 2nd 2016 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12066421)
"The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law and anything deemed unnecessary will be abolished later."

As we were saying, looks as though we are brewing up a distinction without a difference.

Next up, "quotas" for immigration that exactly match the number of non-British nationals who come to the UK anyway.

The difference is, that laws deemed unnecessary can be repealed.

The difference regarding immigration is, that the rules of entry will be the same for non-EU and EU immigrants.

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12066292)
4th time; how does Germany consistently outperform Britain if that's impossible within the EU?

I've never claimed it does or doesn't & the question is totally irrelevant because they're two different countries & no-one was asked to factor that into their considerations.

The question was simply to remain or leave & the decision was to leave so any & all other factors have absolutely no bearing on the matter.

We're at over 5000 posts & people are still failing to understand how the vote worked. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pstbvsru3c.gif

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 6:07 am

With mounting anxiety over the lack of a "plan", this does provide a much needed dose of ecstacy to keep the euphoria high while they continue to scratch their heads.

It does, however, clearly indicate an intention to leave the single market, and that's going to have a significant impact on the economy.

Meanwhile, back at the grindstone;

This is the only way Brexit won't plunge us over the cliff - The Telegraph

Last week, as we awaited today's Brexit speech from Theresa May, it became clearer than ever just what a perilous path we are now treading. On one hand we had a dismally woolly speech from Dr Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, showing that he has learnt no more about the real world than was evident in the referendum campaign. Babbling about all those wonderful “free-trade deals” he imagines winning, he mentioned the World Trade Organisation (WTO) 20 times and the EU’s single market only once.

On the other hand, we had the heads of Nissan UK, Jaguar Land Rover and other spokesmen for the motor industry (contributing 7 per cent to our exports), the chief executive of Heathrow, one of our busiest ports of entry, the British Bankers’ Association and even unnamed “Treasury officials” all piling in to warn that, if we leave the single market, the results in terms of hideous complexities, added costs and firms leaving Britain would be catastrophic.

Those “hard Brexiteers” like Dr Fox who imagine that we could somehow just rely on “WTO rules” clearly have no idea where this would leave us. They talk about tariffs, as if these were the only problem about continuing to trade with the EU (easily our biggest trading partner), but these are now far less important than the vast thicket of regulatory “non-tariff barriers” such as customs procedures so complex that in practice they could shut us out of trading with the EU altogether. Indeed, worse still, the EU would continue selling to Britain, while its more than 1,000 points of customs entry would be all but closed to us.

Those who propose option two: that we could somehow, in just two years, negotiate a bespoke “one-off” trade deal with the EU, seem unaware that the many such deals between the EU and other “third countries” are so complex that none have taken less than seven years to negotiate, involving thousands of pages of agreed terms and procedures. And none would give us anything like the full access to the single market.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 6:13 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066455)
I've never claimed it does or doesn't & the question is totally irrelevant because they're two different countries & no-one was asked to factor that into their considerations.

The question was simply to remain or leave & the decision was to leave so any & all other factors have absolutely no bearing on the matter.

We're at over 5000 posts & people are still failing to understand how the vote worked. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...pstbvsru3c.gif

So, you can't identify how Britain's (real or imaginary) woes are the result of EU membership, yet leaving the EU (at significant cost to Britain) is the "solution"?

Don't feel bad. You and millions of others are equally victims of this incredibly shallow concept. It's perhaps Britain's biggest political con job in history.

TGA Oct 2nd 2016 6:30 am

1 Attachment(s)
Its been keeping me up all night so this morning I had to right a wrong..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-.../#post12065866

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12066458)
So, you can't identify how Britain's (real or imaginary) woes are the result of EU membership, yet leaving the EU (at significant cost to Britain) is the "solution"?

Don't feel bad. You and millions of others are equally victims of this incredibly shallow concept. It's perhaps Britain's biggest political con job in history.

I don't feel bad about it at all...... in fact, I'm delighted the exit side won the vote.

Everyone made their individual decision to stay or leave by using their own particular criteria & for many (probably most) finances had nothing to do with it so trying to apply your particular criteria to everyone is laughably ridiculous.

Whether you like it or not, the majority voted to leave. The decision has been made & it can't be unmade no matter how much you or the rest of the remoaniacs disagree with it.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 6:37 am

OK, well, if all else fails, there's always the vote count to rationalise it.

Meanwhile, this popped up this morning, too.

Nissan is an early sign of the downturns and the divisions Brexit could bring

Nor do hard Brexiters confront the fact that alongside China and the US, Britain has accumulated a stunning $1tn-plus stock of foreign direct investment. Nearly 500 multinationals have regional or global headquarters here, more than twice the rest of Europe combined. They are here to take advantage of our ultra pro-business environment – so much for the Eurosceptic babble about being stifled by Brussels – and trade freely with the EU. Britain was becoming a combination of New York and California, with a whole continental hinterland in which to trade. Hard Brexit kills all that stone dead and puts phantoms in its place.

The years ahead will be ones of economic dislocation and stagnation. But the impact goes well beyond the economic. Hard Brexit legitimises anti-foreigner and anti-immigrant sentiment. When Britain’s flag outside the EU institutions is brought down and Messrs Farage, Davis, Johnson, Redwood, Fox et al delightedly hail the sovereignty and supremacy of Britishness, it could signal a new round of street-baiting of anybody who does not look and sound British: expect more attacks on Poles and Czechs from Essex to Yorkshire.

Fredbargate Oct 2nd 2016 6:42 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12066269)
I presume you'll accept it when you're out of the UK longer than 15 years and unable to vote, or do you still maintain a UK address?

I left in 1976

Fredbargate Oct 2nd 2016 6:47 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066299)
You do have a point but equally the vote should have been extended to anyone in the UK not born here but from the EU but who had been a UK tax payer for 5 years.
Because like those you refer to they too will be affected.
You friends in Aus etc would not like you suggesting they lose their vote..
Its all theory now anyway.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12066346)
In which case EU nationals in the UK should also have had a vote, as it affects their future too.

Similar standards should apply to any resident of any EU country

Red Eric Oct 2nd 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12066261)
I will concede that black/white culture is imprecise (and probably lazy) since there are many cultures that overlap, are subsets of one or more other cultures, lots of crossovers, etc. But I see nor mean no nastiness in it. But no doubt you have other ideas.

There's certainly nastiness and fear-mongering and racism in saying (as the post that sparked this discussion off did) that refugees are "****ing up white culture".