Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:57 pm
  #4561  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 24,842
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
It was super secure Paulry.. In specialist Insurance (one of the most secure) However his client base was in the EU.. This company isn't waiting around until the good ole UK makes good on it's decision..It has to work yrs in advance. In order not to lose German clients it needs to be in Germany.. Pretty logical to anyone in business ..which I take it you are not..
Within two weeks of the result the British, global business I work for implemented it's plan in case of the vote being to leave. It's been cost cutting, recruitment freezes, travel freezes, structural changes and meetings with clients for projects in the UK. One major one has since been cancelled, another has had to be rebranded with new finance sourced and our entire European operations are under scrutiny and we've had to reassure some of the biggest corporations in the world who we are delivering high tech projects for that we can still do this stuff in Europe fairly easily...for the time being.

I don't know if the Express reports intricacies of individual businesses or just reports whatever the reporter fancies that day but in reality the vote alone is hurting some businesses. My broad share portfolio is still well below where it should be and the increases to businesses like BP that have come post-brexit are purely because the pound has tanked and lots of their operations are overseas....great for me short term as it's an increase but in reality - it's a false dawn, especially with the Saudi/Iranian hostilities coming nowhere near ending and therefore OPEC's leaders doing nothing to slow the flow of oil.

Still, it's alright though...we have "taken back control" and 40% of the UK population are happy to sacrifice trade with the UK for less immigrants in the UK. What a horribly backward situation.
Scamp is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:53 pm
  #4562  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
It was super secure Paulry.. In specialist Insurance (one of the most secure) However his client base was in the EU.. This company isn't waiting around until the good ole UK makes good on it's decision..It has to work yrs in advance. In order not to lose German clients it needs to be in Germany.. Pretty logical to anyone in business ..which I take it you are not..
Nice try at being condescending, however you tripped over and fell on your arse during the delivery of it!

So the company reputedly offering"one of the most secure" jobs gives your mates son the heave-ho more than two years before it needs to, and without even giving him the opportunity to relocate to Germany to service all those German clients.

Why does it need to work years in advance for this kind of thing? Which company was it? It doesn't sound like a very secure company to me. Oh please tell us, superior one...
paulry is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:58 pm
  #4563  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Within two weeks of the result the British, global business I work for implemented it's plan in case of the vote being to leave. It's been cost cutting, recruitment freezes, travel freezes, structural changes and meetings with clients for projects in the UK. One major one has since been cancelled, another has had to be rebranded with new finance sourced and our entire European operations are under scrutiny and we've had to reassure some of the biggest corporations in the world who we are delivering high tech projects for that we can still do this stuff in Europe fairly easily...for the time being.

I don't know if the Express reports intricacies of individual businesses or just reports whatever the reporter fancies that day but in reality the vote alone is hurting some businesses. My broad share portfolio is still well below where it should be and the increases to businesses like BP that have come post-brexit are purely because the pound has tanked and lots of their operations are overseas....great for me short term as it's an increase but in reality - it's a false dawn, especially with the Saudi/Iranian hostilities coming nowhere near ending and therefore OPEC's leaders doing nothing to slow the flow of oil.

Still, it's alright though...we have "taken back control" and 40% of the UK population are happy to sacrifice trade with the UK for less immigrants in the UK. What a horribly backward situation.
Calm down, the "horribly backward situation" will bounce back when they all look up and find that the sky hasn't actually fallen in and there is life (and prosperity) after brexit.
paulry is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:03 pm
  #4564  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Calm down, the "horribly backward situation" will bounce back when they all look up and find that the sky hasn't actually fallen in and there is life (and prosperity) after brexit.
At least we now have one brexiter who admits that there has been NO brexit and that all the claims by brexiters that any positive economic news is due to them and are hogwash.

It has taken time but we got finally got there.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:09 pm
  #4565  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
At least we now have one brexiter who admits that there has been NO brexit and that all the claims by brexiters that any positive economic news is due to them and are hogwash.

It has taken time but we got finally got there.
The usual nonsense that has little or no bearing on what I said.

Last edited by paulry; Sep 27th 2016 at 5:16 pm.
paulry is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:31 pm
  #4566  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
The usual nonsense that has little or no bearing on what I said.
You cannot go back now, its out there for all to read, a brexiter has said that brexit has yet to happen.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:47 pm
  #4567  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 9,910
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Is that the limit of your response.
During the months before the campaign had numerous discussions with owners of their own business, some milti million pound turnover companies.
Not all were enthusisastic about remaining but not one regarded the regulations under which they trade, their legal responsibilities to employees and customers as a major complications.

Thats the real world not politics.
In the new world of brexit little if anything will change.
Consumer protection, health and safety and a multitude of other regs will stay on the books.
The UK government will continue to add new ones.
I am going to make a big assumption here and that is you intended to post that you had the discussions?

How on earth did you manage that as well as your 24/7 trolling on this and god knows how many other sites?
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:54 pm
  #4568  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
I am going to make a big assumption here and that is you intended to post that you had the discussions?

How on earth did you manage that as well as your 24/7 trolling on this and god knows how many other sites?

The only trolls on here are those who cannot understand what a forum is and even more have never understood what TIO is for.
You should go back to the latest reincarnation of your Gib forum, how many posts do you get a month ( not including yours ) 2, 3 or am I overestimating.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:50 pm
  #4569  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

London Remains Ahead of New York as Top Global Financial Center - Bloomberg
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 8:43 pm
  #4570  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Guess who are standing in the election for the late murdered Jo Cox parliamentary seat.
3 right wing racist parties.
When you think that UK politics has reached a low point who comes out of the gutter.

Lib dems, Tories and Ukip not standing.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:11 pm
  #4571  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

The Deutsche Bank crisis could take Angela Merkel down – and the Euro
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:27 pm
  #4572  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Not the Euro collapsing again, !!!

How many times have you forcasted that Dick, 5.6 10. 12.how many.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:44 pm
  #4573  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Nice try at being condescending, however you tripped over and fell on your arse during the delivery of it!

So the company reputedly offering"one of the most secure" jobs gives your mates son the heave-ho more than two years before it needs to, and without even giving him the opportunity to relocate to Germany to service all those German clients.

Why does it need to work years in advance for this kind of thing? Which company was it? It doesn't sound like a very secure company to me. Oh please tell us, superior one...

Giving simple facts is 'condescending in your world Paulry?

Questioning the important strategic decisions made by a multi million pound Insurance business is within your 'remit' and expertise is it?

Do Tell .. we are all agog.. what exactly IS your experience of the difficulties the business world in the UK now faces.? Apart from talking through your A*** that is
GeniB is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:02 pm
  #4574  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,333
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

de Pfeffel's latest wheeze...

The British foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, a former arch critic of the current Turkish leadership, sought to mend battered fences in a series of high level meetings on Tuesday, culminating in a pledge to be one of the strongest supporters of the country’s bid to become a member of the European Union.

...

He said his Turkish hosts had not brought up the controversy caused by a lewd poem he composed in which he referred to the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, as a wanker, and described the issue as trivia.

...

Johnson tried to keep the focus on his belief that the UK was not leaving Europe, but only the EU. He said he believed Britain could sign “a jumbo-sized trade deal” with Turkey outside the EU.

...

It was Johnson’s first visit to Turkey since the EU referendum, when he repeatedly raised the threat of Turkish migrants flooding into the UK if Britain remained a member of the EU.

In an earlier guise Johnson had been an enthusiastic supporter of Turkey’s EU membership, so his call for the union to welcome Ankara is a reversion to his previous stance. His influence over his EU partners in persuading them of the merits of Turkey’s membership may be limited, given that the UK is leaving the union as a result of the campaign he helped to lead.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...avusoglu-kurds

Hope that's all crystal clear to everyone, especially the Turks and the remaining 27 members of the EU. I do wonder what Maytron's going to say when he gets back home though - especially if between now and then he pledges to let Turks in to the UK in return for trade. Is anyone offering odds for him to be out by Christmas?

Last edited by Red Eric; Sep 27th 2016 at 10:06 pm.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:15 pm
  #4575  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Guess who are standing in the election for the late murdered Jo Cox parliamentary seat.
3 right wing racist parties.
When you think that UK politics has reached a low point who comes out of the gutter.

Lib dems, Tories and Ukip not standing.

Someone mention racism ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wo-bomb-blasts

"Police suspect a far-right motive after two improvised explosive devices detonated outside a mosque and congress centre in Dresden just before and after 10pm on Monday.

No one was injured during the two attacks in the eastern German city, but the mosque’s 46-year-old imam, his wife and their two children were inside the building when the first bomb went off.

Imam Hamza Turan told Sächsische Zeitung newspaper that six bottles filled with explosive gas had been found at the site of the attack. “They attacked us because they hate us, because we are Muslims”, Turan’s 10-year-old son told the local paper.

The second improvised device exploded on a terrace facing the river Elbe, between the International Congress Centre and the Maritim hotel. The hotel bar was evacuated as a result.

Horst Kretzschmar, the president of Dresden’s police force, said that even though no group had claimed responsibility it was assuming a “xenophobic motive” behind the attack."

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 27th 2016 at 10:18 pm.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.