British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Sep 26th 2016 3:22 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Majority of UK CEOs considering moving operations abroad post-Brexit - survey | Reuters

However, 76 percent said they were considering moving either their headquarters or their operations outside Britain because of the June 23 "Brexit" vote.

"CEOs are reacting to the prevailing uncertainty with contingency planning," said Simon Collins, KPMG UK chairman.

"Over half believe the UK's ability to do business will be disrupted once we Brexit and therefore, for many CEOs, it is important that they plan different scenarios to hedge against future disruption."
And Patrick Minford says manufacturing's finished as well, also because of brexit.

Exciting times ahead.:)

Fredbargate Sep 26th 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12061662)
So you have accepted that Brexit will bring the end of manufacturing in the UK?

No

Why should it?

jimenato Sep 26th 2016 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12061957)
No

Why should it?

Because Patrick Minford, a Brexiteer economist, one quoted by Brexiteers on this thread, has said that that is what will happen.

EMR Sep 26th 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12061960)
Because Patrick Minford, a Brexiteer economist, one quoted by Brexiteers on this thread, has said that that is what will happen.

You are not suggest that an economist, darling of the brexiteers has got it wrong are you ?
That would shake the brexit economic argument to its foundations.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 26th 2016 4:11 pm

Sobering reading for any remaining disillusioned Remoaners. :nod:

Leave Lies? Remainers Need To Look In The Mirror - Get Britain Out

EMR Sep 26th 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12061985)
Sobering reading for any remaining disillusioned Remoaners. :nod:

Leave Lies? Remainers Need To Look In The Mirror - Get Britain Out

Do you actually think that anyone who has more than half a functioning brain cell actually believes the drivel on sites like that.

We are still in the EU and benefiiting from its membership.
Even the fall in sterling means that Bitish exporters can take full advantage of free , no tarrif access to the EU market.
I bet you had not thought of that.

jimenato Sep 26th 2016 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12061975)
You are not suggest that an economist, darling of the brexiteers has got it wrong are you ?
That would shake the brexit economic argument to its foundations.

Patrick Minford is a bit of a dick-head to be honest. His post-Brexit manufacturing forecast is probably the only thing he's ever got right.

la mancha Sep 26th 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12061874)
That is one outcome I would really like to see - however, I sincerely doubt it will be coming about any time soon.

I have to say, I am continually astounded by who is now popping up left, right and centre to tell us all that austerity is a Very Bad Thing and how it's all been caused by the EU. Apart from the bleedin' obvious ie that the UK is completely free of the EZ constraints and therefore able to deal with shocks to the economy in vastly different ways, those who are claiming this are the very same people who will cling stubbornly to precisely the same sort of politics of which austerity is a central part.

I don't believe that Redwood or you, Dick, or eg la mancha doing all the hand-wringing about the low waged would advocate anything other than the small state, free market, "liberalisation", "deregulation", balanced budget, low inflation etc politics and economics which are typical of this so-called austerity and which have had the overarching effect of widening the gap between the haves and the have-nots.

It's only recently caught on as another stick to beat the EU with but Osborne was perfectly happy to preach it and there are plenty who like to think of it as "living within your means" as opposed to austerity. There'll be plenty more of it to come under this government (indeed particularly under this government, I believe - I can't see the likes of May suddenly turning away from neoliberalism).

I have never said austerity in the UK was the cause/fault of the EU. In fact, we are doing quite nicely thanks to not being in the Eurozone. I will say that the EU is the cause/fault of the problems many nations in the club now face after nine years of crisis. This in turn has resulted in a massive migration of EU nationals to the UK which has had an unhealthy effect on our nation. We were not expecting it and if some were then those politicians who did know what to expect can have no qualms about Britain voting to leave the club. I don’t think the question of low-wages is anything to do with ‘liberalisation’ etc., but the numbers looking for the same job.

The EU is not the cause of austerity in the UK. The EU is the cause of austerity in member states and that is one of the main causes of concern in the UK. A thriving Eurozone free of austerity will be good for all, but when will we see that? In our lifetime?

Fredbargate Sep 26th 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12061960)

Well I say it will not so that should be sufficient for you Si because you are not totally stupid.

la mancha Sep 26th 2016 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12061941)
Majority of UK CEOs considering moving operations abroad post-Brexit - survey | Reuters

And Patrick Minford says manufacturing's finished as well, also because of brexit.

Exciting times ahead.:)

Are these the same businesses that have said excessive EU regulations are a burden on business costing billions a year?

jimenato Sep 26th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12062016)
Are these the same businesses that have said excessive EU regulations are a burden on business costing billions a year?

Probably not if you think about it.

jimenato Sep 26th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12062012)
Well I say it will not so that should be sufficient for you Si because you are not totally stupid.

:rofl::rofl:Cheers Fred.:sneaky:

Thing is, Minford is an economist who many Brexiteers think is the bee's knees - they quote him and post videos of what he says so they must think he knows his stuff. And he's said that - so they probably believe that as well - why wouldn't they if they believe everything else he says?

EMR Sep 26th 2016 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12062016)

I very much doubt it that was only a small minority looking for excuses.
Companies who do well do not need to look for them.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 26th 2016 5:30 pm

Brexit vote 'will not dent economy this year' as UK growth forecasts back to pre-referendum levels

la mancha Sep 26th 2016 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12062024)
I very much doubt it that was only a small minority looking for excuses.
Companies who do well do not need to look for them.

Excuses? Thousands of pages of EU business regulations and more coming every month costing British businesses billions over the years, money that could have been put into expansion.

In his Bloomberg speech in 2013 Cameron said he would achieve “a new settlement in which Britain shapes and respects the rules of the single market but is protected by fair safeguards, and free of the spurious regulation which damages Europe’s competitiveness.”

But this is old news.