British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Sep 24th 2016 11:33 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12060416)

No, it's a daily mail editorial.

paulry Sep 24th 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12060419)
The plain truth is that the Eu have nothing to give us anyway.

It's inevitable that trade will continue much as normal regardless.

The rest of their disastrous policies, they can keep and shove them where the Sun don't shine. :cool:

No doubt EMR will oblige :sneaky:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 24th 2016 11:58 am

Chuka Umunna: We Should Be Prepared To Sacrifice Single Market Membership To Axe Freedom Of Movement | Huffington Post

jimenato Sep 24th 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12060397)
Can you explain what you think a straw man argument is?

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12060409)
Work it out for yourself and explain why if you think I have misused it.

You're a little bit out of your depth here aren't you?:(

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12060420)
No, it's a daily mail editorial.

Its no suprise that the moronic mail appealing to some of its equally ignorant and prejudiced readership prints such rubbish or that Dick posted the link..
It would appear now to be against anyone in the NHS who is not UK born and bred..

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12060392)
Stop pussy footing around with straw man arguments. We're talking value of trade: The EU export value compared with the UK export value.

I see that you have confirmed that you have no idea how business works or can understand simple maths.
There us no point trying to explain , it is obviousy way above your intellect..

Lion in Winter Sep 24th 2016 12:19 pm

Do you ever read past the headlines?

UPDATE: Since this article was published, Umunna issued a statement:

“The debate about Europe, the Single Market and free movement is complex, and I will be setting out my views in greater length in future.

“But I have always been totally consistent in saying that Britain must be a member of the Single Market, on which thousands of jobs and rules protecting workers’ rights rely.

“At the same time, we need an alternative to free movement as we know it. The government should aim for both in its EU negotiations.”

He probably got pulled up by May.

In other words, you are very likely to get a distinction without a difference in terms of your greatly-feared freedom of movement. It will just be called "getting work permits" or something.

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12060419)
The plain truth is that the Eu have nothing to give us anyway.

It's inevitable that trade will continue much as normal regardless.

The rest of their disastrous policies, they can keep and shove them where the Sun don't shine. :cool:

But your OCD obsession with Mrs M and the EU will continue..

Dick Dasterdly Sep 24th 2016 12:20 pm

How to make friends and influence people....

Juncker tells Italy to be GRATEFUL for EU BILLIONS - because there will be NO MORE | World | News | Daily Express

NOT ! :ohmy:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 24th 2016 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12060450)
But your OCD obsession with Mrs M and the EU will continue..

With a bit luck she'll be gone this time next year. :thumbup:

Unfortunately her legacy will live on for many years to come. :thumbdown:

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12060448)
Do you ever read past the headlines?

UPDATE: Since this article was published, Umunna issued a statement:

“The debate about Europe, the Single Market and free movement is complex, and I will be setting out my views in greater length in future.

“But I have always been totally consistent in saying that Britain must be a member of the Single Market, on which thousands of jobs and rules protecting workers’ rights rely.

“At the same time, we need an alternative to free movement as we know it. The government should aim for both in its EU negotiations.”

He probably got pulled up by May.

In other words, you are very likely to get a distinction without a difference in terms of your greatly-feard freedom of movement. It will just be called "getting work permits" or somethinb.

I agree , work permits, seasonal agricultural worker quotas etc. Brexiters heads exploding when inward migration continues to be in nett 6 figures,annum.
Estimates for 2016 are already way over 200,000..

amideislas Sep 24th 2016 12:37 pm

Europe is out to shaft Brexit Britain. Here's how Theresa May can prevent it
The prime minister must kill off the delusion of a ‘giant flounce-out’ from the single market

Until the delusion of the giant flounce-out is killed off – and until Liam Fox and David Davies are told to stop dreaming about it – those negotiating with Britain from the other side will have a massive incentive to force us into it. If they think it is our secret desire, or our plan B, for Britain to quit the single market cleanly, Europe will not take seriously any UK government demands for variations to single market rules, designed to keep us on the inside the market, though outside the EU itself.

amideislas Sep 24th 2016 12:48 pm

Here's one Paulry should like. (Warning: it's more than 2 paragraphs, uses a lot of big words, explores advanced concepts, and talks about details, so it may not suit you).

After Brexit – taking back control | The Sydney Morning Herald

London: "Brexit is the trailer," says political academic Matthew Goodwin. The main feature will begin after these messages.

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:51 pm

The re election of Corbyn is good news for May and the moderates if she choses to take advantage.
A brexit light even if it upsets the right is no threat to the re election of the Tories in 2020.
Labour is unelectable and they are the only real opposition.
A hard brexit and its negative effects on the UK economy would impact on the Tories in 2025 and by then Labour will be a party that can win with an electable leader.
The Tory strategists will have as much say in future policy as those pushing for a hard brexit.

EMR Sep 24th 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12060453)
With a bit luck she'll be gone this time next year. :thumbup:

Unfortunately her legacy will live on for many years to come. :thumbdown:

What will you do then, take up crotchet ?

My betting is that May will become the next female politician you demonise.