British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 19th 2016 1:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12056233)
May said Feb 2017, article 50 will be invoked yea?

so... Feb 2019 we'll be 100% out no?

It's a vague, but, in my opinion, extremely unlikely prospect. And that certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of a general election before then, anyway ;)

amideislas Sep 19th 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12056237)
In all honesty I thought that once the Fearmongering campaign had been debunked, most of the divisions would subside.

To be fair it has to a certain extent with quite a few Remainers now prepared to look forward with a much more positive mindset,
but as for the rest, the flat earth brigade,

I imagine their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will still be moaning well into the next century. :(

Pigs have always been able to fly. And the sun orbits the earth. Everybody knows that.

paulry Sep 19th 2016 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12056216)
I wonder if anybody's ever tried totting up the cost of all the anti EU propaganda that's been generated over the past 40 years?

Or for that matter, totted up the costs to the UK fishing industry, the UK's membership fees, just as a start. And what about the cost to the UK of all these years of hand wringing about the EU which morphed from the CM. The referendum was long overdue.

paulry Sep 19th 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12056237)
In all honesty I thought that once the Fearmongering campaign had been debunked, most of the divisions would subside.

To be fair it has to a certain extent with quite a few Remainers now prepared to look forward with a much more positive mindset,
but as for the rest, the flat earth brigade,

I imagine their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will still be moaning well into the next century. :(

Give it a decade or so after brexit happens and the UK has re-established itself as an independent and successful nation, and I predict it'll be difficult to find anyone with the balls to admit they actually voted remain.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 19th 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12056235)
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Dicky old chum.

I think public opinion has been cynically manipulated by those who very much have vested interests in the UK being out of the EU. You wait and see how long it takes before those same people who were playing up the "ordinary people against the elites" theme turn on them. Arron Banks already did - the others won't be far behind.

There may have been manipulation on both sides, but still no comparison at all with powerful National govts such as the US, weighing in for the Eu in addition to countless multinationals and all the supposedly neutral organisations I previously mentioned, such as the now discredited IMF not only weighing in but also on the payroll of the Eu in addition to our own govt,the BBC, plus Brussels and German politicians with their endless threats and warnings of consequences.

The only way such massive influences could be overcome was by the General public being wise enough to see through and rise above the endless deluge of crap with which they were being bombarded every day from morning till night.

Absolutely no Comparison at all. :cool:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 19th 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12056255)
Give it a decade or so after brexit happens and the UK has re-established itself as an independent and successful nation, and I predict it'll be difficult to find anyone with the balls to admit they actually voted remain.

Let's hope so.

In any event it's quite possible that by then the Eu will be no more than a sad, best forgotten piece of history.

paulry Sep 19th 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12056258)
There may have been manipulation on both sides, but still no comparison at all with powerful National govts such as the US, weighing in for the Eu in addition to countless multinationals and all the supposedly neutral organisations I previously mentioned, such as the now discredited IMF not only weighing in but also on the payroll of the Eu in addition to our own govt,the BBC, plus Brussels and German politicians with their endless threats and warnings of consequences.

The only way such massive influences could be overcome was by the General public being wise enough to see through and rise above the endless deluge of crap with which they were being bombarded every day from morning till night.

Absolutely no Comparison at all. :cool:

:goodpost:

Yep, amazing we got over the line given the strength of the remain disinformation campaign. And what was their response to Leave's victory? To cry foul over a crummy poster and a suggestion that Britain could use the EU membership fees to help fund the NHS! :rolleyes:

EMR Sep 19th 2016 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12056255)

Oh contraire we know people who reluctantly admit thst they voted leave because they fell for the lies about the NHS, immigration etc.
Economic reality will eventually dawn on many who voted leave.

paulry Sep 19th 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12056235)
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Dicky old chum.

I think public opinion has been cynically manipulated by those who very much have vested interests in the UK being out of the EU. You wait and see how long it takes before those same people who were playing up the "ordinary people against the elites" theme turn on them. Arron Banks already did - the others won't be far behind.

Arron Banks: the average person on the street's David against big business's Goliath :thumbsup:

EMR Sep 19th 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12056262)
:goodpost:

Yep, amazing we got over the line given the strength of the remain disinformation campaign. And what was their response to Leave's victory? To cry foul over a crummy poster and a suggestion that Britain could use the EU membership fees to help fund the NHS! :rolleyes:

Of course someone with your views and record would regard the racist ukip poster as crummy.
Probably not extreme enough for many on the dark side of the leave campaign.

paulry Sep 19th 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12056269)
Of course someone with your views and record would regard the racust ukip poster as crummy.
Probably not extreme enough for many on the dark side of the leave campaign.

https://blog.codinghorror.com/conten...is-obvious.jpg

Dick Dasterdly Sep 19th 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12056205)
Why would they, as the number of stars is unrelated to the number of member states?

By what arrogant right do the Eu refer to their flag as the European flag or flag of Europe when even now only just over half of European countries are in the Eu and of those that are, an ever increasing number are against almost everything the rotten to the core, dictatorial Eu actually stands for. :cool:

amideislas Sep 19th 2016 2:32 pm

Well, does anyone have any doubt now what led to this mess?

EMR Sep 19th 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12056272)

You usual response when your true colours are revealed.

Fredbargate Sep 19th 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12056167)
I wonder how much it'll cost them to have all the EU flags replaced with one less star? ;)

They will probably pass the bill on to the UK after all it is all our fault