Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:18 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I have to admit I did think EMR's comments this morning a bit fruit-loop flavoured. He claimed to be a Leaver at one point - again . Can't remember whether that was before or after the Nazis invaded and interrupted his harem time.
Yes, he does take a bit of warming up in the mornings
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The UK already does, that you have to prove UK residence to obtain other than emergency treatment...
Those of us who use the NHS and not private health cover . know that...
Prove residence how? I have a UK address and recently I have been asked to declare that I have lived in the UK for a certain time on the hospital check-in screen, but nothing else. That's hardly the same as having official certification.....

I think it's fair that non-emergency access to the NHS is restricted - but the UK infrastructure isn't designed for it. I remember someone we knew in London bringing her mother to London for a "free" hip replacement. It happened, it may still happen - whether the amount saved by restricting access would outweigh the costs of policing it is another thing.....
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

The UK already does, that you have to prove UK residence to obtain other than emergency treatment...
Those of us who use the NHS and not private health cover . know that...
I use the NHS regularly, I have not noticed any significant controls.

Of course some of the "abuse" is perfectly legal - either via the emergency route or choosing to move to the UK from an EU country with a private service or poor state service just to ensure better treatment.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Prove residence how? I have a UK address and recently I have been asked to declare that I have lived in the UK for a certain time on the hospital check-in screen, but nothing else. That's hardly the same as having official certification.....

I think it's fair that non-emergency access to the NHS is restricted - but the UK infrastructure isn't designed for it. I remember someone we knew in London bringing her mother to London for a "free" hip replacement. It happened, it may still happen - whether the amount saved by restricting access would outweigh the costs of policing it is another thing.....
What more certification do you need, proof of paying UK tax, or NO contributions.
Is a moot point anyway as immigrants use the NHS far less t propotionally han the resident population..
The biggest users are the growing elderly UK born resident population.
But immigrants are an easy target for those with a certain mindset..
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:26 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
or the usual bitter anti-English bigotry (Ami). You are clearly correct about the loons, but they're remainiac ones.
If a neighbour constantly implied you're some sort of pest, and was always making up ridiculous lies and innuendo to justify it (while clearly having not a clue who you are or what you're like) would you be inclined to look upon them favourably?

This kind of ignorant arrogance is a very well known stereotype that's only been accentuated by England's behaviour over Brexit. In truth, nobody (outside the bubble) really cares about the English, they're no better than anyone else. But their behaviour speaks volumes. Hardly "bigotry".

By the way, got the cake yet? And everything else you're "entitled" to get from those "low lifes" across the channel? How's the view from up there in the sunlit uplands?

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 17th 2018 at 3:37 pm.
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to look back on this thread - mentioning persistent high net immigration and also ensuring the rights of existing migrants brings out accusations of being a Nazi (EMR) and calls of isolationism and apartheid (007Steve) or the usual bitter anti-English bigotry (Ami). You are clearly correct about the loons, but they're remainiac ones.
PLEASE Can you just get it right - for once? I'm a Leveller not some Farage-invented-term you had to have someone else explain to you.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The funniest part of that is how English essentially is the result of immigrants swarming over the Isles and changing the language. From Common Brythonic to Latin to Old English, Anglo-Norman and beyond
Oh dear god DON'T start be factual Sultan Some on here will implode .
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Sure - there were some aspects of it that were written about because they were troubling for various reasons, not least from the point of view of some of the people who were supposed to be collaborating with the government in becoming immigration control. I think it's a bit strong to say on almost every issue "The Guardian thinks" etc, though. It publishes straight down the line news, which might consist of quoting various sources about matters of one sort or another and it publishes a range of opinion, some of which might be in favour of and some against government policies.

However, I'd hardly describe what goes on in Portugal as being a "hostile environment" - and showing id for various things here isn't something restricted to immigrants, so there's none of the discriminatory aspect that was being introduced in the UK.
Oh come-on, the "range of opinion" in the Guardian is 99% down the same line - pro-EU, pro-immigration, pro-taxation (for others), pro big state etc. Its "straight down the line" news frequently has a connotation of its party line.

One article I remember alluded to the hostile environment for illegal imigrants incentivising slavery.

I think this one was it (just searched for it) https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...loitation-flex

The UK's new immigration bill creates perfect conditions for slavery to thrive

Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:30 pm
Democracy advocate

What more certification do you need, proof of paying UK tax, or NO contributions.
Is a moot point anyway as immigrants use the NHS far less t propotionally han the resident population..
Any data on that - the only things I have seen is the high usage of maternity and HIV treatment amongst migrants.

I guess older people having paid-into the NHS for 50+ years might have built up an entitlement to greater usage of it.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:32 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I use the NHS regularly, I have not noticed any significant controls.

Of course some of the "abuse" is perfectly legal - either via the emergency route or choosing to move to the UK from an EU country with a private service or poor state service just to ensure better treatment.
You are aware that the quality of healthcare is generally superior in most EU countries? Even DG admits that.

The difference is that you have to prove eligibility at point of delivery, generally in the form of public or private health insurance (obligatory under the law, and if you can prove you're skint, then the state will pay). Otherwise, you have to pay in cash. And unlike the NHS, they're not in a perpetual state of stress. Imagine that.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
If a neighbour constantly implied you're some sort of pest, and was always making up ridiculous lies and innuendo to justify it (while clearly having not a clue who you are or what you're like) would you be inclined to look upon them favourably?

This kind of ignorant arrogance is a very well known stereotype that's only been accentuated by England's behaviour over Brexit. In truth, nobody (outsude the bubble) really cares about the English, they're no better than anyone else. But their behaviour speaks volumes. Hardly "bigotry".

By the way, got the cake yet? And everything else you're "entitled" to get from those "low lifes" across the channel?
Keep posting Ami, you only serve to prove my point.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
You are aware that the quality of healthcare is generally superior in most EU countries? Even DG admits that.

The difference is that you have to prove eligibility at point of delivery, generally in the form of public or private health insurance (obligatory under the law). Otherwise, you have to pay in cash. And unlike the NHS, they're not in a perpetual state of stress. Imagine that.
In Romania? In Bulgaria?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:39 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Oh dear god DON'T start be factual Sultan Some on here will implode .
Sorry, I've just been watching a lot of videos on language history lately and that happened to be stuck in my head since I just watched one on Old English
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:41 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Any data on that - the only things I have seen is the high usage of maternity and HIV treatment amongst migrants.

I guess older people having paid-into the NHS for 50+ years might have built up an entitlement to greater usage of it.
You mean data you search for to justify your point of view..
There will be no data for those who do not use the system ..
Younger fitter people use the NHS less .
Do I need to draw you a diagram.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:45 pm
Democracy advocate

You mean data you search for to justify your point of view..
There will be no data for those who do not use the system ..
Younger fitter people use the NHS less .
Do I need to draw you a diagram.
So you have nothing to support your statement then - must be a theory you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.