Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:57 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

When was anything ever applied to illegal immigrants, other than procedures for removal? And are you talking about the perfectly legal immigrants of the Windrush debacle, who should never have been deported or ordered to leave?

Bloody Guardian, making a fuss about nothing, eh?
The Guardian was bemoaning the hostile environment against illegal immigrants way before Windrush.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Is that another lie or just that you can't make your mind up how you used it?
If I said "calm down dear" you'd know I was mimicking Cameron, ditto "swarm" of migrants. Try to pick a sensible argument, otherwise you'll just become a petty grammar nazi like LiW.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
You only have to look back on this thread - mentioning persistent high net immigration and also ensuring the rights of existing migrants brings out accusations of being a Nazi (EMR) and calls of isolationism and apartheid (007Steve) or the usual bitter anti-English bigotry (Ami). You are clearly correct about the loons, but they're remainiac ones.
No one has called you be Nazi, just man up and admit you have been shown up for what you are..
I would like to take you into a few pubs I know and see their reaction to calling them a swarm of fecund carbon units, and try and explain to them that you are just being ironic.as they politely ask you to leave via the pubs cat flap..

Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If I said "calm down dear" you'd know I was mimicking Cameron, ditto "swarm" of migrants. Try to pick a sensible argument, otherwise you'll just become a petty grammar nazi like LiW.
But if we don't take care of our language, the immigrants might swarm all over it and take it over.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
well, if that were the case, it's obviously a UK problem isn't it?

It certainly is enforced in Spain. And Germany (two places I'm intimately familiar with).

It's not "cannot". It's "does not". There's a difference.

It was 20 Years ago. You don't get away with that very easily anymore. Just like in the UK, there's still some of it, but nothing like it used to be. No doubt you'd be screaming "dictatorship" had your [cash, untaxed] business been subjected to unfair "rules" like that.
It's not enforced at all in Spain, I see people who have lived there over the past 5 years with no NIE etc, earning money from the UK and paying zilch.

I even saw for myself 3 years ago someone undertaking a E60K extension whereby not only most of the labour was "black" but also most of the materials - only around 20K ended up legit and that was kitchen and bathroom kit.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Not really, no.

In theory, EU citizens can be fined for not registering but not removed from the country for that alone but in practice, I've never heard of such a thing either in the news or on the forums. However, what used to be a fairly lax set of procedures has been tightened up a bit now, so you can't, for example, register in the health service without a resident registration certificate, which was possible years ago. And you need a tax number before you get the registration certificate. But there are still (allegedly) numerous unregistered Brits (and therefore presumably other EU citizens) residing full-time here. Nobody goes round knocking on doors or stopping you in the street demanding to see your papers for immigration purposes.
It's good it is being tightened, the UK should be doing the same with ID cards and access to NHS etc.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
The definitive book on how and why we voted in the referendum....The Road to Somewhere..by David Goodheart....member of the Think Tank on immigration policy

Makes veeerrrrry interesting reading.....

A snippet....37% of Labour Voters ..voted to leave... Highest support for remain 57% was from the top social class's ( A's and B's)
People in council houses voted to leave Only 36% in the lowest social class's C2 D and E voted to Remain
People who had paid off their mortgages voted to leave 49% sat in the middle class's who voted to Remain

The divide was about Education,Mobility, Profession. The higher educated you were the more you were likely to have voted Remain.-ie 66% of graduates voted remain
This describes people as being divided into two tribes. Citizens of Somewhere ( Leave) or citizens of Anywhere ( remain)

Highly recommend this book.
Sounds like the data from the Lord Ashcroft polls - although some here seem to doubt the veracity of the data.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/0...voted-and-why/

I guess poor people who compete with migrants for housing and work tended to vote leave - no surprise there.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It's good it is being tightened, the UK should be doing the same with ID cards and access to NHS etc.
The UK already does, that you have to prove UK residence to obtain other than emergency treatment...
Those of us who use the NHS and not private health cover . know that...
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:09 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, no.

In theory, EU citizens can be fined for not registering but not removed from the country for that alone but in practice, I've never heard of such a thing either in the news or on the forums. However, what used to be a fairly lax set of procedures has been tightened up a bit now, so you can't, for example, register in the health service without a resident registration certificate, which was possible years ago. And you need a tax number before you get the registration certificate. But there are still (allegedly) numerous unregistered Brits (and therefore presumably other EU citizens) residing full-time here. Nobody goes round knocking on doors or stopping you in the street demanding to see your papers for immigration purposes.
Eric, I agree, but the point is that the controls exist - there is just no need to use them at present. It's like the rules on foreign-registered cars, I know of a couple of people who have had their UK cars here for years - they just don't get caught. Since, as you say, benefits are dependent on residency, this alone works against illegals and the fact that many Brits can slip below the radar doesn't really mean much, as they can support themselves and avoid contact with the state. Were we talking about working-age migrants from eastern Europe (as is the issue in the UK), I think there would be a different story.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:09 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
But if we don't take care of our language, the immigrants might swarm all over it and take it over.
Not that it needed any verification, but thanks.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:10 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to look back on this thread - mentioning persistent high net immigration and also ensuring the rights of existing migrants brings out accusations of being a Nazi (EMR) and calls of isolationism and apartheid (007Steve) or the usual bitter anti-English bigotry (Ami). You are clearly correct about the loons, but they're remainiac ones.
I have to admit I did think EMR's comments this morning a bit fruit-loop flavoured. He claimed to be a Leaver at one point - again . Can't remember whether that was before or after the Nazis invaded and interrupted his harem time.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it needed any verification, but thanks.
You're welcome.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:13 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The funniest part of that is how English essentially is the result of immigrants swarming over the Isles and changing the language. From Common Brythonic to Latin to Old English, Anglo-Norman and beyond
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
No one has called you be Nazi, just man up and admit you have been shown up for what you are..
I would like to take you into a few pubs I know and see their reaction to calling them a swarm of fecund carbon units, and try and explain to them that you are just being ironic.as they politely ask you to leave via the pubs cat flap..

You said, referring to me throughout:
Those who are not prejudiced do not use words like " removing ".
You are referring to fellow humans,women,children , people who have contribute to the UK.being " removed " because you do not want them here.
The Nazis removed " Jews into ghettos....
You clearly either have no idea or are deliberately using demonizing language.
Suggesting (falsely as it happens) that I don't want migrants in the UK and am therefore like a Nazi.

Why would I want to go to that sort of grotty pub, sounds frightful.

Carbon units was a descriptive term of interchangeable manual workers - go back and look at it's first use
Swarm was mimicking Cameron
Fecund is clearly a word beyond your vocabulary - you were probably one of those types wanting to beat up a pediatrician in the past
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardian was bemoaning the hostile environment against illegal immigrants way before Windrush.
Sure - there were some aspects of it that were written about because they were troubling for various reasons, not least from the point of view of some of the people who were supposed to be collaborating with the government in becoming immigration control. I think it's a bit strong to say on almost every issue "The Guardian thinks" etc, though. It publishes straight down the line news, which might consist of quoting various sources about matters of one sort or another and it publishes a range of opinion, some of which might be in favour of and some against government policies.

However, I'd hardly describe what goes on in Portugal as being a "hostile environment" - and showing id for various things here isn't something restricted to immigrants, so there's none of the discriminatory aspect that was being introduced in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.