Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
First off, it's a nice sentiment that suddenly tescis and everybody else will switch their supply chains to unknown (and likely, more expensive) sources which the UK has no trade agreements with, just to wave the union jack with honour.

But the UK imports far more than beef from the EU. Potatoes, for example... are heavy. You don't fed-x them in from Idaho to meet your "just in time" supply schedules. I could list a few hundred other products that the UK simply will not quit buying from EU member States no matter what, but you'd just ignore it anyway as if it wasn't significant.
Well our diet is semi-vegetarian, and all the veg and fruit I bought today was from UK. Including potatoes.

Must say as I scrutinised the 'ingredients " I discovered the chicken slices for sandwiches came form Thailand. Will not be buying that again.

Well if the UK keeps on buying from the EU what is 'your' problem? I thought you were predicting starvation!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:34 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bipat;12544027]
Originally Posted by EMR View Post

Yes I have----the 'ingredients' are named on the few that are not just 'one' ingredient! (I said bought, not just looked at).
As I said I was surprised at the basmati rice---processed in UK ---but "main ingredient" which I presume to be rice ----Australia!

Must apologise though, one item I forgot to mention as I didn't count it as 'food' ----I got a bottle of hock for personal use! ---German!

(You seem to have mixed up the quote again, joining two together!)

Once again your ignorance of facts is amazing, .Where in the winter do products that cannot be grown in the UK come from..
Where do you think all the dairy products and its bi products used in the UK come from, not all from the UK,
The same with meat in its many forms.
Pulses, spices, Tec.

Where do the beans in Heinz baked beans come from, not the UK.
At least 40% of the food we eat is imported..
Are we in your mind supposed to do without and eat less.
Is that your version of brexit..
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:49 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

From the UK Govt. -

3.1 Origins of food consumed in the UK 2016

RegionPercentage supplied to the UKUK49%EU30%Africa5%North America4%South America4%Asia4%Rest of Europe2%Australasia1%
Based on the farm-gate value of unprocessed food in 20162, the UK supplied just under half (49%) of the food consumed in the UK. The leading foreign supplier of food consumed in the UK were countries from the EU (30%). Africa supplied 5%, Asia, North and South America all provided a 4% share of the food consumed in the UK.

The three largest value imported commodity groups (at 2016 prices) were fruit & vegetables, meat and beverages (see 3.4).
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:53 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the lack of legibility of the above post. It was a nice neat table when I submitted it - & now I can't even get into it to edit it.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EMR;12544048]
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post

Once again your ignorance of facts is amazing, .Where in the winter do products that cannot be grown in the UK come from..
Where do you think all the dairy products and its bi products used in the UK come from, not all from the UK,
The same with meat in its many forms.
Pulses, spices, Tec.

Where do the beans in Heinz baked beans come from, not the UK.
At least 40% of the food we eat is imported..
Are we in your mind supposed to do without and eat less.
Is that your version of brexit..
EMR is "facts" your favourite word. Obviously I know a large amount of food is at present imported from the EU.
I am pointing out that importing less will not be a problem.
It is a matter of choice where we import from, food not available in particular seasons it can be imported from non-EU countries.

Is it necessary to eat strawberries in Winter? Perhaps we would enjoy food more if we were used to seasonal variations. You asked me about Indian Mangoes----people eat fresh ones in season and look forward and enjoy them more than if they were always there. You mention spices----why from the EU? (apart from saffron!!)

As I pointed out the obesity 'epidemic' in the UK, it would help people (and the NHS) if people ate less and more veg and less meat.

(Asda is running a unicorn promotion---might suit you!)
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:39 pm
Dedicated European

When considering food imports it is obvious that sourcing "locally" (as in Europe) has to be preferable to shipping over very large distances.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:58 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bipat;12544075]

EMR is "facts" your favourite word. Obviously I know a large amount of food is at present imported from the EU.
I am pointing out that importing less will not be a problem.
It is a matter of choice where we import from, food not available in particular seasons it can be imported from non-EU countries.

Is it necessary to eat strawberries in Winter? Perhaps we would enjoy food more if we were used to seasonal variations. You asked me about Indian Mangoes----people eat fresh ones in season and look forward and enjoy them more than if they were always there. You mention spices----why from the EU? (apart from saffron!!)

As I pointed out the obesity 'epidemic' in the UK, it would help people (and the NHS) if people ate less and more veg and less meat.

(Asda is running a unicorn promotion---might suit you!)
I doubt that anyone in favour of brexit did it to eat less or differently , that's one of the strangest excuses for Brexit I have ever heard..
But the chances of a lower standard of living for many are growing as we move closer to a NO deal..
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:04 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

... Perhaps this will be a chance for the UK to sample the Venezuelan Diet ?
- Oh! - All except the Leadership, obviously...
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:07 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... Perhaps this will be a chance for the UK to sample the Venezuelan Diet ?
- Oh! - All except the Leadership, obviously...
I believe the North Korean version is most effective!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
When considering food imports it is obvious that sourcing "locally" (as in Europe) has to be preferable to shipping over very large distances.
I agree, but UK produced is even better when this is possible.

This discussion started from the possibility of a "no deal", and we would all be starving and need to start stockpiling food which is a nonsense!! We will still import from the EU----they are not going to let their stuff go to waste. (Like the old butter mountains etc.)

My points about enjoying seasonal variety and obesity are at least worth considering.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=EMR;12544083]

I doubt that anyone in favour of brexit did it to eat less or differently , that's one of the strangest excuses for Brexit I have ever heard..
But the chances of a lower standard of living for many are growing as we move closer to a NO deal..
I agree that was not a reason for voting for Brexit, it is not "an excuse".
Why do you think a more sensible eating and food importing regime is a "lower standard of living"? That is what I have been suggesting.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:19 pm
Dedicated European

I agree, but UK produced is even better when this is possible
We'll then, the UK had better extract a digit & start producing more & hunt about for labour to do the picking & packing. Actually I am sure that J.R-M will already be considering returning to the good old days when packs of Brits spent their holidays in the countryside picking fruit and so on, instead of wasting their time & money on leisure activities - think of the benefits to the Nation's health. No doubt Brexiteers will enlist as gangmasters, maybe bring back the Land Girls?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:21 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I believe the North Korean version is most effective!
Ahem... A wee problem there. I believe everyone in the DPNK is registered and has a ration card. ..........
Could we give G4S, or Serco... or even Virgin a contract to register all the 66 million of the UK in 7 months.... uummm...
Isn't that what our Contingency Measures are all about?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:23 pm
EMR
Banned

[QUOTE=Bipat;12544089]

I agree that was not a reason for voting for Brexit, it is not "an excuse".
Why do you think a more sensible eating and food importing regime is a "lower standard of living"? That is what I have been suggesting.
I assume that you are unaware of the zero tarrifs on food imports from the EU, currently anyway.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:30 pm
Dedicated European

Just found this, in the Daily Fail, of all places, dated 2009, fascinating, sort of Brexiteers wet dream!

The happiest days of our lives!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.