British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Aug 6th 2018 9:42 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12543754)
Its not just the US that's wants to flood the post brexit UK with products that do not meat ! Current food and hygiene standard now the Aussies want a share lobbying for the post brexit share of the UK market, , what happened to protecting British farmers from the effects of a no deal.
Australian beef , 40% of which is injected with hormones currently illegal in the EU and UK.
Source " Independent."
Who is promoting this deal , Fox up.

Possibly a simplistic answer but why can't the UK just import from the 60% which are not injected with hormones and also UK farmers can produce more.

Post Brexit the UK can stop the export of live animals for slaughter; something a local MEP Liz Lynne campaigned against and mostly failed. Now Gove has taken up this matter.

DaveLovesDee Aug 6th 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12543767)
Possibly a simplistic answer but why can't the UK just import from the 60% which are not injected with hormones and also UK farmers can produce more.

I'd suggest that those 60% already have a market that isn't the UK. Of course, the UK companies looking to buy could offer a higher price to the supplier. And I presume you understand how easy it is to increase the numbers of cattle/pigs/and chickens quickly over a short period of time. These things take time to reach an age appropriate for culling, which takes money for increased feed, acreage and transport/processing.

Post Brexit the UK can stop the export of live animals for slaughter; something a local MEP Liz Lynne campaigned against and mostly failed. Now Gove has taken up this matter.
I agree with ending the transport of live animals for slaughter. It's inhumane. It shouldn't take leaving the EU to even consider this, it should be common sense.

EMR Aug 6th 2018 10:38 am

We do Import the non hormone injected beef which you will see in any premium butcher, meat from Aus and the US from certified hormone free animals and very good it is.
Beef which is much more expensive that our home grown product.

The US and Aus farmers want access to our markets for their hormone beef as these reach maturity earlier giving them a better return, producing a cheaper product..

Bipat Aug 6th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12543781)
We do Import the non hormone injected beef which you will see in any premium butcher, meat from Aus and the US from certified hormone free animals and very good it is.
Beef which is much more expensive that our home grown product.

The US and Aus farmers want access to our markets for their hormone beef as these reach maturity earlier giving them a better return, producing a cheaper product..

Thank you for that info. As we do not eat red meat I have not been in a butchers for decades.
Further to yesterdays conversation and your statement that 'Brits shop in supermarkets' and an OP remark about my need for Indian shops within 100 metres.
I have just come back from a 'major shop' in Asda. Saw that an entire aisle has Indian foods, packets jars and tins, pickles, raitas, large size packs of chapati flour. Another aisle with lentils, spices etc. of various kinds. Apart from fresh fruit no need for you to drive 20 miles if you use a supermarket.

On examination the only EU item I bought was pasta from Italy. Everything else was from UK or non-EU countries including fruit and vegetables.
So we, when in the UK, will not starve Post Brexit!:lol:
One surprise---Tilda basmati rice--I always thought it an Indian variety---on reading the packet -discovered -it is Australian!!!

EMR Aug 6th 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12543898)
Thank you for that info. As we do not eat red meat I have not been in a butchers for decades.
Further to yesterdays conversation and your statement that 'Brits shop in supermarkets' and an OP remark about my need for Indian shops within 100 metres.
I have just come back from a 'major shop' in Asda. Saw that an entire aisle has Indian foods, packets jars and tins, pickles, raitas, large size packs of chapati flour. Another aisle with lentils, spices etc. of various kinds. Apart from fresh fruit no need for you to drive 20 miles if you use a supermarket.

On examination the only EU item I bought was pasta from Italy. Everything else was from UK or non-EU countries including fruit and vegetables.
So we, when in the UK, will not starve Post Brexit!:lol:
One surprise---Tilda basmati rice--I always thought it an Indian variety---on reading the packet -discovered -it is Australian!!!

Any Indian Mangoes.

Expatrick Aug 6th 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12543624)
I didn't realise you'd shortened my sentence and were specifically asking about air traffic.

I was talking about EASA.

So you would prefer aviation safety to cease east & south of Dover.

Bipat Aug 6th 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12543945)
Any Indian Mangoes.

I did mention to you before ---the season has finished!! It is monsoon now!

Tinned pulp of a couple of varieties is available in shops but they always have added sugar, which is unnecessary and spoils it.

007Steve Aug 6th 2018 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12543952)
So you would prefer aviation safety to cease east & south of Dover.

:nod: Probably only for flights with migrant-labour passengers and cheap holidays abroad taken by carbon units. Important businesssmen are clearly in another league.

Expatrick Aug 6th 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12543959)
:nod: Probably only for flights with migrant-labour passengers and cheap holidays abroad taken by carbon units. Important businesssmen are clearly in another league.

Ah, of course!

amideislas Aug 6th 2018 4:11 pm

Expensive. But what the hell, "flourishing" post-brexit England will be able to afford it (well, those unaffected, anyway .. The Brexiteer leadership, for example).

Unfortunately, the rest of the population votes. So it's anyone's guess how long the Brexiteers' "flourishing" period will last, if in the highly unlikely event it miraculously materialises.

Bipat Aug 6th 2018 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12543980)
Expensive. But what the hell, "flourishing" post-brexit England will be able to afford it (well, those unaffected, anyway .. The Brexiteer leadership, for example).

Unfortunately, the rest of the population votes. So it's anyone's guess how long the Brexiteers' "flourishing" period will last, if in the highly unlikely event it miraculously materialises.

Well---eat less of it then--will help the UK obesity epidemic!
Regular beef eating is not essential to diet and too much is not good for health.
See my above post. Minimal EU imported food in weekly supply.

EMR Aug 6th 2018 5:30 pm

[QUOTE=Bipat;12543989]Well---eat less of it then--will help the UK obesity epidemic!
Regular beef eating is not essential to diet and too much is not good for health.
See my above post. Minimal EU imported food in weekly supply.[/QUOTE

You have No idea where the ingredients for the food you looked at came from.
Food production is far more complex than the brand name.

Bipat Aug 6th 2018 5:44 pm

[QUOTE=EMR;12544024]

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12543989)
See my above post. Minimal EU imported food in weekly supply.[/QUOTE

You have No idea where the ingredients for the food you looked at came from.
Food production is far more complex than the brand name.

Yes I have----the 'ingredients' are named on the few that are not just 'one' ingredient! (I said bought, not just looked at).
As I said I was surprised at the basmati rice---processed in UK ---but "main ingredient" which I presume to be rice:lol: ----Australia!

Must apologise though, one item I forgot to mention as I didn't count it as 'food' ----I got a bottle of hock for personal use! ---German!

(You seem to have mixed up the quote again, joining two together!)

Assanah Aug 6th 2018 5:52 pm

[QUOTE=Bipat;12544027]

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12544024)

Yes I have----the 'ingredients' are named on the few that are not just 'one' ingredient! (I said bought, not just looked at).
As I said I was surprised at the basmati rice---processed in UK ---but "main ingredient" which I presume to be rice:lol: ----Australia!

Must apologise though, one item I forgot to mention as I didn't count it as 'food' ----I got a bottle of hock for personal use! ---German!

(You seem to have mixed up the quote again, joining two together!)

So trade functions alteady. No need to leave the EU then.

amideislas Aug 6th 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12543989)
See my above post. Minimal EU imported food in weekly supply.

First off, it's a nice sentiment that suddenly tescis and everybody else will switch their supply chains to unknown (and likely, more expensive) sources which the UK has no trade agreements with, just to wave the union jack with honour.

But the UK imports far more than beef from the EU. Potatoes, for example... are heavy. You don't fed-x them in from Idaho to meet your "just in time" supply schedules. I could list a few hundred other products that the UK simply will not quit buying from EU member States no matter what, but you'd just ignore it anyway as if it wasn't significant.