British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Assanah Sep 18th 2016 5:26 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12054668)
If it is going up due to supply and demand, No.
Has the Canadian dollar fallen against the US dollar?

Canada is a good example of a smaller country snuggling up to the big neighbour. Canada has a very close and integrated relationship with the US using international trade courts. Canada wants that and benefits from it because it makes trade easy and cheap with their neighbour. Canada has given up sovereignty for that. So of course has the US. That's called a FREE trade deal.

The UK leaving the EU won't make trade freer for nobody. It just will mean more rules, more customs, more requirements, more red tape. The Chinese for example are able to produce products according to ONE standard and sell it to 28 countries. It will have to declare customs according to one standard and then sell to 28 countries. Much much freer and easier than having 28 different standards. That is the reason why I don't understand that people are discussing free trade with regards to brexit. Brexit will mean more red tape, less free trade.

I said this before I say it again: Britain is free to trade with the world noe. There is nobody preventing British business to sell their products to the Indians... Except Indian laws and customs. You are absolutely free now. Why is the UK such a minor trading nation? It is not the EU - just take an example, Belgium trades more with India than the UK.

amideislas Sep 18th 2016 6:36 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12055196)
Who are the "brexit is brexit" proclaimers on this thread?

Mfe is legendary at it. Vex and TGA are no slouches. Even you seem to resort to it from time to time when all else fails. Dick, well he's in a class of his own.

Bipat Sep 18th 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12055235)
Canada is a good example of a smaller country snuggling up to the big neighbour. Canada has a very close and integrated relationship with the US using international trade courts. Canada wants that and benefits from it because it makes trade easy and cheap with their neighbour. Canada has given up sovereignty for that. So of course has the US. That's called a FREE trade deal.

The UK leaving the EU won't make trade freer for nobody. It just will mean more rules, more customs, more requirements, more red tape. The Chinese for example are able to produce products according to ONE standard and sell it to 28 countries. It will have to declare customs according to one standard and then sell to 28 countries. Much much freer and easier than having 28 different standards. That is the reason why I don't understand that people are discussing free trade with regards to brexit. Brexit will mean more red tape, less free trade.

I said this before I say it again: Britain is free to trade with the world noe. There is nobody preventing British business to sell their products to the Indians... Except Indian laws and customs. You are absolutely free now. Why is the UK such a minor trading nation? It is not the EU - just take an example, Belgium trades more with India than the UK.

You said this before and I pointed out then that the figures for Belgium (very little difference) are for 'goods' and do not include services and investment.
India is also the third largest investor in the UK. Talks regarding future trade deals started days after the referendum. There is already a special relationship with India as with other Commonwealth countries.

Link regarding trade post Brexit with non-EU countries.

http://patrickminford.net/wp/E2016_1.pdf

mfesharne Sep 18th 2016 7:05 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12055254)
Mfe is legendary at it. Vex and TGA are no slouches. Even you seem to resort to it from time to time when all else fails. Dick, well he's in a class of his own.

Actually it's Brexit means Brexit rather than Brexit is Brexit & the reason for that is the former phrase has a proper definition whilst the latter doesn't.

Beexit was what the people voted for which is exit from the EU not for exit from the EU under a set of predefined conditions.

As in exit from the EU come what may and we'll live with whatever exit deal is negotiated but out of the EU no matter what.

The question asked do you want to leave or remain & the majority voted to leave so by definition, that's what they can reasonably expect to get.

As I've said before, it's not complicated.

Red Eric Sep 18th 2016 7:37 am

If it's not complicated, why on earth are they going to be spending vast amounts of time and money on negotiating the terms of the "exit"? And why are most serious observers saying that the UK will almost certainly be participating to some degree with matters which are undeniably connected with the EU? And very probably paying a fee to do so?

It's all very well repeating Brexit is Brexit over and over again but I'll bet when it's all over we'll all be able to identify things which indicate that Brexit isn't Brexit.

DaveLovesDee Sep 18th 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12055267)
Actually it's Brexit means Brexit rather than Brexit is Brexit & the reason for that is the former phrase has a proper definition whilst the latter doesn't.

Beexit was what the people voted for which is exit from the EU not for exit from the EU under a set of predefined conditions.

As in exit from the EU come what may and we'll live with whatever exit deal is negotiated but out of the EU no matter what.

The question asked do you want to leave or remain & the majority voted to leave so by definition, that's what they can reasonably expect to get.

If that's what was voted for, then trigger Article 50 now, and tell the EU we don't want any negotiations or deals, we just want to leave. After all, aren't negotiations on single-market access and frree movement just conditions?

Happily though, at least the government is being more sensible than that, and trying to make sure that post-Brexit is the least painful as possible.

You are correct, it's not complicated to just walk away.

jimenato Sep 18th 2016 7:41 am

Are you discussing the vote again?:rofl:

Red Eric Sep 18th 2016 7:45 am

Beexit was what the people voted for...

Now you really are trying to confuse us.

amideislas Sep 18th 2016 7:48 am

What? Bees are leaving the EU too?

amideislas Sep 18th 2016 7:53 am

Take a watch of this (I know you won't - it contains those pesky "details" that you find objectionable). Then come back and tell us all how "uncomplicated" it is.

Treasury committee Brexit inquiry to define exit tasks

Red Eric Sep 18th 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12055285)
What? Bees are leaving the EU too?

Beexit means Beexit.

In the past few years honey bees have experienced substantial declines. There were 27 species of bees in the UK and sadly 3 are now extinct with many others under threat.
UK bees in crisis

amideislas Sep 18th 2016 7:58 am

That's what the people voted for.

They come over here, use up our flower benefits, and are too lazy to learn or speak proper English.

mfesharne Sep 18th 2016 8:13 am

I've never suggested the negotiations will be easy or fast.

The point is the electorate were offered two simple choices of stay or leave & they voted to leave (without precondition) and it's that part that's simple.

There's also the possibility of simply withdrawing immediately by rescinding the Parliamentary act but I personally think that's the wrong way to do it.

As for when to trigger A50, I'd rather see it triggered sooner rather than later & I see no good reason to delay other than making it easier for those EU countries that have elections coming up........ but I see that as their problem rather than the UK's problem.

I also think TM needs to trigger A50 with enough time in hand to get it completed before the run up to the next scheduled UK GE.

But as with most things in life, time will tell. :)

Red Eric Sep 18th 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12055292)
That's what the people voted for.

They come over here, use up our flower benefits, and are too lazy to learn or speak proper English.

Swarm in, apparently.

Red Eric Sep 18th 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12055298)
As for when to trigger A50, I'd rather see it triggered sooner rather than later & I see no good reason to delay other than making it easier for those EU countries that have elections coming up........ but I see that as their problem rather than the UK's problem.

:lol: Nice bit of spin there.

It's pretty well established that the EU negotiators are ready and waiting for the call. It's the UK that's delaying matters. They haven't got the staff, or a plan.