British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Sep 17th 2016 9:34 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12054510)
Yeah, with 79 million of them en route, they're bound to bring a rug or two.

Oh I hope it's one of those exquisite silk Kelims..Heh what's that filthy body doing under it?This costs a fortune

paulry Sep 17th 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12054615)
He's the man!

:goodpost:

Good bloke!

TGA Sep 17th 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054617)
Britain does not need to be part of an elite club to trade with anyone. Trade deals are a 2 way thing and they will happen whether the EU likes it or not.

False premise. Nobody said they wouldn't. They just won't make up for the loss of global trade with the world's largest economy, passing through the UK (and being taxed by the UK).
You know this ? how? I believe it will balance out and at least we won't have to pay the extortionate membership fees

The EU is not Europe or the "rest of the world"

False premise. Nobody thinks it is. au contraire

The world (or Europe) will not stop selling to the UK.

True.

Control of our boarders DOES NOT repeat DOES NOT mean foreign workers will be banned from the UK.

False premise. The UK already has control of its borders. You keep citing "free movement"?? educate yourself Migration Watch UK | European Union | Key Topics

What are these "benefits" you think Britain thinks it is "entitled" to?

Unfettered membership/???? we just voted to leave??access to the world's largest market without the burden of rules, contributions, freedom of movement. But we already have control of our boarders (you said) Nobody owes that to Britain. Britain seems to think it's "entitled" to it though. You certainly seem to.

Its like you are answering another thread or something

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 10:01 am

It's like you're trolling or something.

Former Lancastrian Sep 17th 2016 10:03 am

As an expat living in Canada so not part of this EU club I wonder how many more expats living outside the EU look at this thread and go WTF.
There are many countries in the world who are going it alone and not part of some club known as the EU and are doing quite well. Yes things could be better but they could be a lot worse. Why is Canada doing well its not like we are one of the alleged major power countries though some like to think we are.

We will do business with any country and that is why we have numerous trade deals with other countries. We are basically a resource country though we are getting better and diversifying into other sectors. One could argue that we have certain protectionist regimes in place regarding the import of goods into Canada like most countries have and we have a pretty liberal Immigration policy but we just don't let anyone in unless applying for asylum which is a whole other matter.

We currently don't need visas to enter the UK or other EU countries but that could change seeing as we introduced eTA for visa exempt countries. The common theme I see keep cropping up is the Immigration freedom of movement argument and some of the myths behind it.

So under the current rules any citizen of the 28 member countries of the EU can basically choose to live and work in any of the 28 countries if they wish to do so which sounds good if all countries were equal.

So what does the average painter and decorator living in Estonia make as an hourly wage compared to the UK? So who could blame a family from Estonia from wanting to uproot and move to the UK for the chance of a better life PROVIDED they can find a home to live in and find jobs. But what happens when they arrive and they can't find work or a place to live does the UK support them with any benefits? If so are the benefits they receive better than they would get if back in Estonia and working? If so thats where there might be a problem.
We hear that since Poland joined the EU approx just under 1 million Poles moved to the UK why was that? How many UK residents left for Poland and if not why not?

If you want to be part of the club then you have to accept what comes with it or as we have seen vote to leave and go on your own and give up some of the benefits you received from being a member of that club.

If other countries can do it then why not the UK?

TGA Sep 17th 2016 10:07 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054629)

the ol' "troll" card.:rofl:

Fredbargate Sep 17th 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12054596)
Because the combined EURO economies and banking sectors were seen by the markets to be in a better position then than the UK.

In that case I would recommend that businessmen in the UK get off their arses, stop using their computers to play on the internet and do some honest work to bolster the UK economy.

After all the low exchange rates I referred to happened well before brexit whilst the UK was a member of the EU.

Former Lancastrian Sep 17th 2016 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12054634)
In that case I would recommend that businessmen in the UK get off their arses, stop using their computers to play on the internet and do some honest work to bolster the UK economy.

After all the low exchange rates I referred to happened well before brexit whilst the UK was a member of the EU.

The only piece of what I thought was a UK brand that I own is a Dyson vacuum cleaner. I just went and had a look at it Made in Malaysia. I have no desire to own a Mini and can't afford a Jaguar or Rolls Royce. Im not into wearing Burberry brand clothing and I can get a variety of UK goods from stores or online.

Vexcore Sep 17th 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054629)

You're an expert on that.

Stick to the argument, or don't bother to post such BS.

and lol when you said UK has control of the borders, only in your lost distance dreams it does.

carry on love.

;)

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12054631)

If other countries can do it then why not the UK?

The UK is NOT an export economy, yet, the UK until now, has punched far above its weight on the global stage, mainly because it is a key member of the world's largest economy. In fact, it is the front door. The world's preferred place to establish a presence within that economy. And the UK attracts a significant number of jobs, income, taxes and foreign investment as a result of that status.

The Brexit camp has this delusion that leaving all that behind will somehow result in a "better future". But the simple fact is, it won't. But now, since the vote, and the necessary opening of the pandora's box to actually for the first time examine the reality, and as the new brexiteer government has been updated on what Brexit actually means, the new revelations seem to divide into two theories:

1) Negotiate to be in the single market, but without any rules or contributions.
As it has emerged that the British economy is highly dependent on Europe and the single market, we will negotiate to keep our unfettered access to the single market and the brisk global trade with it, without any rules or burdens that go along with it. It won't be any problem to negotiate this, because "Europe needs us more than we need them".

Although all evidence shows clearly that the UK is highly dependent upon the single market - about 20% of the economy, while being even more dependent on European imports, so unless Britain blocks European imports (it won't) the EU won't lose exports to Britain anyway, but Britain's exports to the EU are rather paltry and inconsequential, and will likely be subject to tariffs and customs either way (presuming it actually leaves the EU and EEA).

The exception being of course, financial services, the UK's largest export. But without single market membership, that will end, and already, much of that industry is planning to move to the European continent to continue its single market access, should Britain actually leave the single market. Along with global businesses who established their presence in Britain solely to achieve access to that market. In fact the availability of office space in leading European cities to accommodate the migration of business from Britain is already becoming limited and at a premium. But many will have no choice. It would be pointless to HQ in Britain if all that's left is the British market.

2) Forget the single market.
Just cut it off and start from scratch. Without the burdens of the single market, we'll "flourish" (although it's not clear how, and Britain's fundamentals certainly don't support that notion).

The fact remains that there's no tangible upside for anyone here. No matter what.

Vexcore Sep 17th 2016 10:45 am

British sovereignty depends on leaving the EU and the Single Market And if we left the single market? then freedom of movement will cease to exist.

You better get your Visa Ready in the next 2 years amideislas.

Afterall

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT right?

Seriously, don't need that BS single market. (theirs a world out there)

People need to wake up and smell that coffee.

EMR Sep 17th 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12054615)
He's the man!

Yesterdays man who could not even get elected as an MP.

How nmany voted in total in the ukip election was it around 20,000.
Hardly a force to be reckoned with are they.
The new leader, such a believer in democracy and the rights of members tore up the agenda so that those who opposed her and stood against her could not speak.

EMR Sep 17th 2016 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12054653)
British sovereignty depends on leaving the EU and the Single Market And if we left the single market? then freedom of movement will cease to exist.

You better get your Visa Ready in the next 2 years amideislas.

Afterall

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT right?

Seriously, don't need that BS single market. (theirs a world out there)

People need to wake up and smell that coffee.

Coffee is imported every single bean, and it is going up in price thanks to brexit.

I assume that basic economics and the importance of trade to the UK is no longer taught in UK schools.
Such is the ignorance shiwn by some of our obviously younger posters.

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 10:52 am

I didn't mention sovereignty. YOU did.

But since you brought it up, there is not and never has been a "sovereignty crisis". The UK has an opt-out from that. In fact, even now, the UK is the single most sovereign, independent and self-governing member of the EU. Bar none.

But you know, Brexit is Brexit.

EMR Sep 17th 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12054634)

Still not understanding I see the difference between the Eurozone with its own currency and the pound.
Sterling is no longer a major preferred trade currency
Its status reflects the markets view of the state of the UK economy compared to other major currencies , the Euro and the Dollar, not the EU economy not the Eurozone but simply the UK.