British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Vexcore Sep 17th 2016 7:55 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054542)
Can you pick out the UK in this map? (Hint: it's that little red dot with a circle around it).

http://www.freeworldmaps.net/europe/...m/location.gif

You never change, as always 'amideislas' once again posts random shite.


;)

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 7:55 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Well, it's number 5 (actually, recently slipped to 6) because it is the globally preferred gateway to the world's largest economy. Almost 20% of the UK economy is related to its access to the single market.

When it's finally all done and dusted, the UK will likely slip further, ranking it out of the G7, into the G20.

Further, as the UK is not an export economy, unless the UK manages to maintain its unfettered access to the single market, it will struggle to make up for the losses through exports.

Third, in terms of global influence, one of its crown jewels is its influence in European affairs. As that will now become history, its influence in world affairs will also assume a likewise position.

The UK's position in the world will become a lot more proportional to just the sum of its parts; that little dot on the map.

There's always the risk that dot gets smaller, too. Don't underestimate the response of Scotland if the UK struggles economically over an extended period. They already feel they belong to a Westminster "dictatorship". Sound familiar?

TGA Sep 17th 2016 7:57 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054556)
That a small dot on the map could've been so powerful and influential? Well, that was pretty impressive.

But like you say, Brexit is brexit. Back to just a dot now.

:rofl: you and the rest of the remoaners would love that to happen. I think you may be disappointed.

mikelincs Sep 17th 2016 8:00 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054576)
Well, it's number 5 (actually, recently slipped to 6) because it is the globally preferred gateway to the world's largest economy. Almost 20% of the UK economy is related to its access to the single market.

When it's finally all done and dusted, the UK will likely slip further, ranking it out of the G7, into the G20.

Further, as the UK is not an export economy, unless the UK manages to maintain its unfettered access to the single market, it will struggle to make up for the losses through exports.

Third, in terms of global influence, one of its crown jewels is its influence in European affairs. As that will now become history, its influence in world affairs will also assume a likewise position.

The UK's position in the world will become a lot more proportional to just the sum of its parts; that little dot on the map.

There's always the risk that dot gets smaller, too. Don't underestimate the response of Scotland if the UK struggles economically over an extended period. They already feel they belong to a Westminster "dictatorship". Sound familiar?

:goodpost::thumbsup:

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 8:01 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Can you provide any tangible scenario which suggests that the UK will somehow grow its position in the world, not shrink? The fundamentals certainly don't support that notion.

Or is the answer simply the vote count, or Brexit is brexit, or some other shallow rationale?

TGA Sep 17th 2016 8:22 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054582)
Can you provide any tangible scenario which suggests that the UK will somehow grow its position in the world, not shrink? The fundamentals certainly don't support that notion.

Or is the answer simply the vote count, or Brexit is brexit, or some other shallow rationale?

you seem obsessed with this globalist agenda.

EMR Sep 17th 2016 8:29 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12054591)
you seem obsessed with this globalist agenda.

Thus speaks the perfect example of a " little Englander ".

Globalism, if you want an example, handing over the future of UK atomic power to the French and Chinese.

EMR Sep 17th 2016 8:33 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12054511)
Good question but I honestly have no idea, however from the reports on the Bratislava summit it would appear that the EU leaders believe they have a number of crisis to deal with.

Also from your earlier post if in 2008 as you state there was a global recession why was it that sterling fell against the € and not the other way round ?.

Also you state that the fall in 2010 was also the result of a global crisis so again can you explain why it was the £ that fell and not the € ?

Because the combined EURO economies and banking sectors were seen by the markets to be in a better position then than the UK.

TGA Sep 17th 2016 8:40 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12054595)
Thus speaks the perfect example of a " little Englander ".

Globalism, if you want an example, handing over the future of UK atomic power to the French and Chinese.


What the term ‘Little Englander’ might say about those who use it


What the term 'Little Englander' might say about those who use it - CapX

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 8:45 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12054591)
you seem obsessed with this globalist agenda.

Well, TGA, that's the point.

From your perspective, you might see Britain as the end-all to everything, but in the big scheme of things, when Britain reduces itself to "just a dot" on the map, nobody's going to give a flying fark about it.

That modest little market of 65 million has some potential to consume stuff produced by the world , so that's interesting (Britain is almost entirely dependent on imports, and is rather dependent on the rest of the world, especially Europe), but conversely, Britain doesn't really produce much, and what it does produce aren't things the world can't live without, and are rather expensive compared to others (e.g., Asia, India), because of Britain's generous benefits, high salaries, high cost of living, etc. And if cheap "foreign" labour is gone, then it will only become more expensive.

Yet you still seem to think Britain is "entitled" to all the benefits with none of the burdens. Why? Because of British superiority? Only Brits care about that. Nobody else does. And nobody else has any obligation (or motivation) to suck up to that arrogance.

A little humility will be good for Britain. And you too. Perhaps the sole upside of Brexit.

Vexcore Sep 17th 2016 8:58 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
The single market is incompatible with the Brexit we voted for as it includes freedom of movement and the right to benefits. So we need to stop discussing it and start discussing a trade agreement that does not impact on our sovereignty. The EU need a trade deal with us more than we need it with them.


TIME TO SAY NO to Tusk n co and GTFO.


The People's Vote should be respected.

TGA Sep 17th 2016 9:06 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054600)
Well, TGA, that's the point.

From your perspective, you might see Britain as the end-all to everything, but in the big scheme of things, when Britain reduces itself to "just a dot" on the map, nobody's going to give a flying fark about it.

That modest little market of 65 million has some potential to consume stuff produced by the world , so that's interesting (Britain is almost entirely dependent on imports, and is rather dependent on the rest of the world, especially Europe), but conversely, Britain doesn't really produce much, and what it does produce aren't things the world can't live without, and are rather expensive compared to others (e.g., Asia, India), because of Britain's generous benefits, high salaries, high cost of living, etc. And if cheap "foreign" labour is gone, then it will only become more expensive.

Yet you still seem to think Britain is "entitled" to all the benefits with none of the burdens. Why? Because of British superiority? Only Brits care about that. Nobody else does. And nobody else has any obligation (or motivation) to suck up to that arrogance.

A little humility will be good for Britain. And you too. Perhaps the sole upside of Brexit.

Looks like you've sucked it all up..
let me enlighten you.
  • Britain does not need to be part of an elite club to trade with anyone. Trade deals are a 2 way thing and they will happen whether the EU likes it or not.
  • The EU is not Europe or the "rest of the world"
  • The world (or Europe) will not stop selling to the UK.
  • Control of our boarders DOES NOT repeat DOES NOT mean foreign workers will be banned from the UK.
  • What are these "benefits" you think Britain thinks it is "entitled" to?

TGA Sep 17th 2016 9:10 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Nige is on the radio
The Nigel Farage Show: Watch Live At 10am | LBC

Vexcore Sep 17th 2016 9:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12054613)

He's the man!

amideislas Sep 17th 2016 9:24 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Britain does not need to be part of an elite club to trade with anyone. Trade deals are a 2 way thing and they will happen whether the EU likes it or not.

False premise. Nobody said they wouldn't. They just won't make up for the loss of trillions in global trade with the world's largest economy, passing through the UK (and being taxed by the UK).

The EU is not Europe or the "rest of the world"

False premise. Nobody thinks Europe is "the rest of the workd". (But the EU is Europe. The "European Union" is not named that way because it's South America).

The world (or Europe) will not stop selling to the UK.

True.

Control of our boarders DOES NOT repeat DOES NOT mean foreign workers will be banned from the UK.


False premise. The UK already has control of its borders.

What are these "benefits" you think Britain thinks it is "entitled" to?

Unfettered membership/access to the world's largest market without the burden of rules, contributions, freedom of movement. Nobody owes that to Britain. Britain seems to think it's "entitled" to it though. You certainly seem to.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:49 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.