Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
He definitely shouldn't be allowed to resign - he should just have his head repeatedly shoved down the loo and told "Look at that - it's your turd"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...cretary-brexit

HE'S GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
You've been reading Irish history again, haven't you?!!
I am actually surprised that others aren't drawing this parallel. In fact over the last two years I can't recall anyone in the media doing so.

I felt the same way about Scottish independence: the SNP should have presented Ireland as its model. The choice lay between Scotland sharing England's accrued wealth and being master of her own destiny. Ireland chose the latter and it is surely clear to anyone but the most myopic DUP member that with hindsight it would not now choose otherwise. Instead, Salmond promised cake.

As I was writing the post, I was unaware that the news of DD's resignation was breaking. You are right of course. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentson, "Minister, you're no Michael Collins." But arguably the parallel is that a pragmatic British politician should be killed by a rogue hardline British nationalist, and for that we don't need to speculate who the politician might be. It's already happened and her name was Jo Cox.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Boris now resigns. This Brexit stuff is going so well.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:14 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
But arguably the parallel is that a pragmatic British politician should be killed by a rogue hardline British nationalist, and for that we don't need to speculate who the politician might be. It's already happened and her name was Jo Cox.
Wasn't that a neo Nazi? Or is that the same thing?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:14 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
He definitely shouldn't be allowed to resign - he should just have his head repeatedly shoved down the loo and told "Look at that - it's your turd"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...cretary-brexit

HE'S GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, well ...... I don't suppose he absolutely has to be Foreign Secretary to have his head shoved down the loo etc for it still to be a satisfactory interim measure.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, well ...... I don't suppose he absolutely has to be Foreign Secretary to have his head shoved down the loo etc for it still to be a satisfactory interim measure.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:21 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I am actually surprised that others aren't drawing this parallel. In fact over the last two years I can't recall anyone in the media doing so.

I felt the same way about Scottish independence: the SNP should have presented Ireland as its model. The choice lay between Scotland sharing England's accrued wealth and being master of her own destiny. Ireland chose the latter and it is surely clear to anyone but the most myopic DUP member that with hindsight it would not now choose otherwise. Instead, Salmond promised cake.

As I was writing the post, I was unaware that the news of DD's resignation was breaking. You are right of course. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentson, "Minister, you're no Michael Collins." But arguably the parallel is that a pragmatic British politician should be killed by a rogue hardline British nationalist, and for that we don't need to speculate who the politician might be. It's already happened and her name was Jo Cox.
Amen to that. My issue with the SNP is that they seem overburdened with Lallans (not unlike the Anglo-Irish). The difference is that all the fire seems to come from the Highlands, so the SNP exhibit more nationalist whingeing than action. It's hard to see any of them being prepared to break a nail for "freedom". On the other hand, I can understand a certain passion on the Brexit side, even if it is (in my view) ill-placed and rooted in ignorance. Show me the people who are prepared to sacrifice lives in every generation and I'll show you a people who deserve self-rule.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the knives are out for May, and perhaps the resignees are in that group.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post. But the bastard BoJo will now mobilise the hard line Brexiters in the Conservative Party to challenge TM to a leadership vote. If he wins, he will immediately declare that despite it being his turd, it's still a load of shit and decide to abandon Brexit for ever. Game of Thrones, innit?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Excellent post. But the bastard BoJo will now mobilise the hard line Brexiters in the Conservative Party to challenge TM to a leadership vote. If he wins, he will immediately declare that despite it being his turd, it's still a load of shit and decide to abandon Brexit for ever. Game of Thrones, innit?
Don't think (hope) there's enough support for him in the party.

I do wonder if Fox and Gove are going to stay ?

May is quickly running out of candidates

Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

So, the question is, was this a "cunning plan" by May to rid herself of the Brexit hardliners. Or a total misjudgement that will come back to haunt her........(my bet is on the latter)

The second question is, will the Brexit boys now try to take up the running and how much support will they actually have.

Interesting times................. and ahead of the World Cup match too

Last edited by macliam; Jul 9th 2018 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
So, the question is, was this a "cunning plan" by may to rid herself of the Brexit hardliners. Or a total misjudgement that will come back to haunt her........

The second question is, will the Brexit boys now try to take up the running and how much support will they actually have.

Interesting times................. and ahead of the World cup match too
Next on this drama :

May speaking in the commons ....

Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post

Looks suspiciously like Smog would be the top candidate. But surely too much of the UK would be repelled by him? Might be a gift for Labour.

Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame that at a time as crucial as this the Tory leadership are opting for petty in-fighting rather than showing a united front against the Europeans and the Russians. It's just immature and blatantly irresponsible behaviour really.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 3:00 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, sterling is up .3% on news of Boris' resignation.

but you can expect a wild ride as this plays out. If May gets ousted and Smog is appointed, then a cliff dive is far more likely, and that certainly means the pound tanks.

By the way, how's that Brexit thing going? Got the cake yet?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.