British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 2:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Well, there's "Scexit", but that's rather the reverse of "Brexit".

Red Eric Sep 16th 2016 2:15 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054014)
I thought you had more credibility than this, nit-picking a piece of a post to make a point that is not there.

I don't see why you would think that. It's something you constantly accuse me of - but as I've said before, I only ever quote the part of a post that is relevant to what I'm replying to. And I never do that with the intent of misrepresenting the meaning of the original post.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 2:19 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
To all of you, one last time because I cannot answer individually: HOPE, for those who have none. Without that there is nothing for them.

SultanOfSwing Sep 16th 2016 2:25 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12054027)
Well, there's "Scexit", but that's rather the reverse of "Brexit".

Do you think, in 50 years or whenever, there'll be a Bre-entry referendum?

The made up buzzwords are quite grating though, aren't they?


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054036)
To all of you, one last time because I cannot answer individually: HOPE, for those who have none. Without that there is nothing for them.

What was that in answer to? I've lost track myself.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 2:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054036)
To all of you, one last time because I cannot answer individually: HOPE, for those who have none. Without that there is nothing for them.

Sure. You are arguing with people who fundamentally agree with you.

The only disagreement is whether or not their current state, or hope for improvement, has anything at all to do with the EU.

EMR Sep 16th 2016 2:34 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12054014)
I thought you had more credibility than this, nit-picking a piece of a post to make a point that is not there.

‘Yes, people may lose out in.the short-term with Brexit but they are willing to go through this for the good of the future of their country. A brighter future gives them hope for their lot in their now miserable lives rather than listening to the whine of the rich about how Brexit will affect everyone, meaning them personally.’

You missed out that part.

Where 2 million homes coming from.
Who is going to pay for them and build them in this brave new world of yours ???
In somerset rents around hinckley point are going to soar to cater for the influx of thousands of technicians and builders.
How is brexit going to solve the local housing problem that will be made even worse.

jimenato Sep 16th 2016 2:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12054039)
Sure. You are arguing with people who fundamentally agree with you.

The only disagreement is whether or not their current state, or hope for improvement, has anything at all to do with the EU.

Quite. We know this. We know that people voted for Brexit for all sorts of reasons other than the EU - the point has been made throughout this thread. The fact that these people are poor and disadvantaged doesn't make them any more right (although possibly more understandable) than anyone else who voted out for the wrong reasons.

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 3:05 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I have a theory that the even the extreme brexiters subconsciously know that brexit isn't going to deliver what they voted for.

I suspect this because of the marked increase in "schadenfreude" - the desire to see the EU reduced to rubble (and worse, encouraging others to strive for it).

It strongly suggests to me a frustration in the subtle realisation that brexit isn't going to fix anything, nor deliver anything resembling the "brighter future" they were led to believe pressing that button would magically produce. If we aren't going to "win", then "they" should lose.

Ironically, even worse than Brexit, a collapse of the EU would be Britain's worst nightmare, whether in or out.

We humans are an ironic lot.

GeniB Sep 16th 2016 3:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
That was SOOOO long Ami it wouldn't allow me to reply at the end of your post!!

I thought there might be a glitch with posting it as it's from a paid site. i.e. you can share it only once to an email..If we were on Twitter or Facebook.. no problem..Pity it was quite interesting.

EMR Sep 16th 2016 3:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Back to the reality of our post referendum UK.

Sterling is heading for its worst week in 10 as the markets prepare for a second cut in UK interest rates by the BOE responding to market concerns over the future of the UK economy.

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 3:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Wait until article 50 is invoked. Sell! Sell!

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 3:45 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12054078)
That was SOOOO long Ami it wouldn't allow me to reply at the end of your post!!

I thought there might be a glitch with posting it as it's from a paid site. i.e. you can share it only once to an email..If we were on Twitter or Facebook.. no problem..Pity it was quite interesting.

What are you referring to, Genie?

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 5:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
And there they go again. Our very own government. Nothing at all to do with the EU that many people's lives are miserable.

DWP slashes funding for disability supported housing and homeless hostels | The Independent

Fredbargate Sep 16th 2016 5:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12054089)
Back to the reality of our post referendum UK.

Sterling is heading for its worst week in 10 as the markets prepare for a second cut in UK interest rates by the BOE responding to market concerns over the future of the UK economy.

Long prebrexit

£20 buys only €18 at UK exchange

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rencies-europe

Red Eric Sep 16th 2016 6:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
At last!

A succinct definition of what "Brexit means Brexit" actually means, from one who should definitely know, Nige, outgoing leader of UKIP :

Farage warned May that she must pass three tests to make sure “Brexit means Brexit”: regaining control of fishing rights, getting out of the single market and returning to the old British passport.
Ukip elects Diane James as new party leader | Politics | The Guardian

So there you have it, folks. Now let's get on with it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.